"No concealed weapons allowed!!!"

This is a discussion on "No concealed weapons allowed!!!" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by shingman2345 I like the site for {no carry zones} but why do you require to have my name for registration? Just enter ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: "No concealed weapons allowed!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by shingman2345 View Post
    I like the site for {no carry zones} but why do you require to have my name for registration?
    Just enter your username again if you desire...
    "Deeds Not Words" - Motto of the USS Gettysburg
    NRA Life Member
    http://www.alioofficium.com/ (Personal Responsibility)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Private homes are a different matter. If someone tells me they don't want me to carry in their home, then I don't.

Matt
    What makes them any different than a private establishment? If both are owned by some entity other than the state is there a real difference? The state also says that your CCW rights are ahead of the rights of private property owners so there is no difference, right? Why not carry there?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    What makes them any different than a private establishment? If both are owned by some entity other than the state is there a real difference? The state also says that your CCW rights are ahead of the rights of private property owners so there is no difference, right? Why not carry there?
    I started to ask the very same question but was tired of trying to get through to what appears to be a closed mind.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    There is a huge difference.

A business is open to the public, it posts it's open hours on the door. By default, and random member of the public may enter the premises as a business invitee to engage in whatever commerce the business in engaged in.

A private residence, on the other hand, has no open hours. By default, no person may enter a private residence without an express, individual invitation from the owner.

Two completely and totally different things.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I started to ask the very same question but was tired of trying to get through to what appears to be a closed mind.
    Absolutely no need to cast aspersions. If you're tired of the conversation, feel free to stop posting - but skip the insults.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

No insult intended. I was simply stating my impression of the situation.

We'll agree to disagree. I consider all private property to be just that, under private, as opposed to public control. You see it differently.

There is a huge difference.

A business is open to the public, it posts it's open hours on the door. By default, and random member of the public may enter the premises as a business invitee to engage in whatever commerce the business in engaged in.

A private residence, on the other hand, has no open hours. By default, no person may enter a private residence without an express, individual invitation from the owner.

Two completely and totally different things.

Matt
    I would say that the business owner is inviting people in on the condition they have no firearms. The business is open to the public but it is a private entity which should have its rights respected.

Senior Moderator
    By having their business open, they are inviting all of the public, without condition.

This "right" to exclude lawfully carried firearms simply does not exist in states where the CCW laws do not give signage any force of law.

Matt

Senior Moderator
    No insult intended. I was simply stating my impression of the situation.

We'll agree to disagree. I consider all private property to be just that, under private, as opposed to public control. You see it differently.
    Fair enough. In my state, the law places my right to carry above the right of a business to discriminate against me for carrying, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I am not a Florida Lawyer although I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :) In Florida as a Business owner you have the right to ask them to leave, not a blanket legal policy through a sign but on a case by case basis. If the CWL holder has given you a reason to find out if he is carrying and REFUSES TO LEAVE then it is a legal matter (Armed Trespassing) with associated Mandatory Sentencing. Otherwise it is invasion of Privacy as to whether you are carrying before you have committed a crime or not. A representative of the company has to have asked you to leave and you refused before the police can get involved. In Florida Legally off limits areas are delineated in State and Federal Law so I have the same rights and places I cannot carry from Pensacola to Key West. The rights to protect my Families lives have been placed over many other things in Florida as it should be. Disney found out that Edwin Sotomayor’s right to defend himself on the way to work outweighed Disney’s Hoplophobia. They are protected from liability by the very Law they are fighting so there is no legal reason to fight it other than they are afraid of guns.

More Directly to the point of this thread My right to go from the Cash Register to the Trunk of my car safely with $300.00 worth of Sporting goods outweighs your right ot blanket ban guns in a public store. Just look at all of the threads where a victim was hit in the Mall parking lot. Most of the risk in the parking lot is on the way to the car. You can just drive away when you are approaching the store but on the way out is arguably the most vunerable time. So sayeth the voters of Florida and out legislature.
    Looking at the customers at our new WalMart store! You need a gun in the store!!

Again, no right is being violated because no right exists under the law.Matt
    Ain't Florida great Matt?

The case law in Florida, supports that. Many, if not most states, do not so abrogate the rights of property owners.

Just a question, not meant to be an argument: do you, personally, treat private residences the same way you treat businesses?
    That's why we live here, what a State!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Links