Carrying concealed at work ?

This is a discussion on Carrying concealed at work ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for a company that has the sign at the entrance to the building "NO GUNS ALLOWED". There are several of us that have ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying concealed at work ?

I work for a company that has the sign at the entrance to the building "NO GUNS ALLOWED". There are several of us that have our CCW and keep our firearms in the auto to abide by company policy. The situation is this: I work with a couple of individuals that have some pretty severe mood swings and temper tantrums that have escalated to out of control incidents. Now, these are guys in their 40's so we are not dealing with high schoolers. The issues have been taken to management about the uneasiness and lack of control that goes on with no resolve at this time. I sit in a corner with my back to a half wall and open door so if something were to happen, I would already be at a disadvantage. Unfortunately, the job I have is in limited supply in my area and another is not in the cards right now. My question is, when do you just "bypass" the sign and go on about your day as concealed means concealed.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

you have a choice.
    carry and leave your job quietly if found out (company policy)
    OR
    leave it in the car and use something else (not as affective but workable) untill you can get to your car.
    OR
    get a different job.

all of these have there drawbacks. what best fits your situation? only you can say.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Concealed

Nope, Too risky to get fired. I would not want to risk it. Word may get out that you carried at work and turnoff future employers
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

There have been a couple of folks that have brought these issues up and where does the company's responsibility come in? I guess a less lethal force is an option, but I'm sure that still falls under "weapons" to an extent.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Funny thing is these "signs" actually contribute to the gun crime problem, by forcing law abiding people to leave firearms in their cars they are adding to the already millions of legal guns that have fallen into criminal hands when they are stolen from cars.

I dont think ive ever heard of a firearm being stolen while someone is wearing it.

Even worse, legal gun owner loses job for carrying, cant pay bills, goes over the edge and uses same gun to commit crime in order to get by, these signs just create more problem then they solve.

Anyway I suppose you need to ask yourself

1) what % chance do you have of being attacked at work with lethal force
    2) does the risk outweigh your need for your job ?
    3) can you conceal without being made ? and if not what is the % chance of being caught ? (back to question 2)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Donodii View Post
    There have been a couple of folks that have brought these issues up and where does the company's responsibility come in? I guess a less lethal force is an option, but I'm sure that still falls under "weapons" to an extent.
    This sounds to me what they classify as a "Hostile Work Environment" in NC. The employer should be anonymously reported to the Department of Labor in your state. If you wanted, you could discuss with an attorney. If it is bad enough that you are in fear for you well-being or life, and felt that you had to leave the company, they could be sued and made to pay damages, IMO.
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    And be sure to use the word "Liability" if you choose to report the hostile work environment. That usually wakes up the company.

All things considered, the risk to your family of being harmed from your being out of work seems a lot greater than your actual risk from these guys. Sure, the risk is not trivial, but I would work on trying to stay within bounds. Consider pepper spray or that walking stick you got as a souvenir? Also, maybe you can rearrange your desk/etc. so as to be able to see a threat.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Concealed means concealed.
    I'm shocked that you have people acting like nuts at work and they still have a job. Your management is wrong to allow that behavior.

Being broke or in jail is temporary. Being dead isn't.
    --Gabe Suarez

Determine what threat you can best live with, and go with your gut.

Note: I highly doubt it is illegal to carry where you work, so I am not advocating you break the law. Company policy is not the law. Yes, they can fire you for violating company policy, but under normal circumstances they cannot file charges against you.

Yes, there some of us that are shocked that management does not have what it takes to fire the individuals. Thanksgiving and Christmas were a pretty rough round. Yet the response was management was not here to witness it, so....Its not that its bad all the time, just that there are some people your not sure how far you can trust them to stay sane.

This is "supposed" to be a professional environment, but makes you wonder.
    -

My employer has a sign posted saying "HC bans guns in this building" and then there is smaller print that says "This does not apply to law abiding citizens with a valid carry permit". I always had urges to conceal on the job but since there are like tons of sheriffs walking around in the building, I feel relatively safe and I am in an office environment with HID access doors. The main reason I want to conceal on the job is because I like the fact that no one else knows I am concealing. Since I am an actual employee of the local government county building, I think the sign only applies to the public and I wouldn't get risk getting fired because those sheriffs can search anyone they want since it's private property and if for some unknown reason they search me because I happen to look like someone else they are looking for inside the building that is open to the public. My supervisor could find out.

If you've never talked about guns at work, and NO ONE would suspect that you MIGHT carry, then you have some decisions to make.
    If you decide to carry because it is not illegal, only against company policy...you might even, if asked, mention that you do not prefer to be around guns (kind of a way to avoid suspicion). OMO

Stay armed...concealed is concealed (do it well)...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you've never talked about guns at work, and NO ONE would suspect that you MIGHT carry, then you have some decisions to make.

The people know us better than that!! When one is not afraid of their beliefs, everyone know we are serious! Right Donodii?

Just so everyone knows.. I worked with Donodii in that environment!! Very volitile.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 18th, 2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    "Ya can't fix stupid!"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    If you're going to carry against policy, do so at your own risk. I work private security but I hold an unarmed guard license, and I work alone with nobody else around my entire shift. I now carry pepper spray on duty, while my pistol stays in the car. I agree that a life is worth much more than a job, but with the job market falling, it would probably be difficult to land another job, especially if your current employer finds out you were carrying a firearm against policy.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links