HC posted sign

HC posted sign

This is a discussion on HC posted sign within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know why Hennepin County has "Bans guns on these premises" sign on some buildings like the libraries but in others like Century Plaza ...

Thread: HC posted sign

HC posted sign

Does anyone know why Hennepin County has "Bans guns on these premises" sign on some buildings like the libraries but in others like Century Plaza it has "bans guns except for law abiding citizens with carry permit". I think the only place that Hennepin County allows CC with a valid permit is the Sheriffs Grain Exchange building and the Human Services buildings.
    Last edited by mnconceal; May 18th, 2009 at 06:14 AM.

45 views and no answers. Looks like no one knows the reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by mnconceal View Post
    45 views and no answers. Looks like no one knows the reason why.
    And what state is this for?

You do not have a location listed in your name, and all you listed in your question was the county.

Kinda hard to give an answer......
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

State

He is talking Minnesota and this is the state (though I love) just put Al Frankin into office - need I say more - it doesn't have to make sense here.

That being said, I am beginning to notice more and more signs like that cropping up. Had a meeting at the library in Woodbury (MN) with the same type of sign. Maybe there is some hope after all.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Quote Originally Posted by speak2u View Post
    He is talking Minnesota and this is the state (though I love) just put Al Frankin into office - need I say more - it doesn't have to make sense here.

That being said, I am beginning to notice more and more signs like that cropping up. Had a meeting at the library in Woodbury (MN) with the same type of sign. Maybe there is some hope after all.
    I'm in Woodbury too - I've noticed that same sign.
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

You may want to ask this question on MNGunTalk.com • Portal or twincitiescarry.com :: Index where there are more Minnesota experts that may know some background on this..

B
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by mnconceal View Post
    Does anyone know why Hennepin County has "Bans guns on these premises" sign on some buildings like the libraries but in others like Century Plaza it has "bans guns except for law abiding citizens with carry permit". I think the only place that Hennepin County allows CC with a valid permit is the Sheriffs Grain Exchange building and the Human Services buildings.
    Because Sheriff Stanek *can*. He, along with Bob Fletcher, from across the river, are both openly against legal carrying of firearms. The are reluctant participants, since the laws were changed in 2003. Take a look at Hennepin County Sheriff's Office - HCSO and you'll notice there are many links to anti-gun sites, but few, if any, links to information on how to get your Minnesota carry permit.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

In MN, Government entities may NOT post their premises. Only private property can be posted.

Here's a decently formatted copy of the law: http://www.madfi.org/post/624.714-MADFI.pdf

The relevant portion is: in Subd 17, (4) "Private establishment" means a building, structure, or portion thereof that is owned, leased, controlled, or operated by a nongovernmental entity for a nongovernmental purpose.

Then we get into politics and check and balances.

Judges have generally been given a lot of power to control their courtrooms. After all, who are you going to get to over ride them? another judge? The Chief Justice of the Hennepin County Court issued a court order banning guns. This would seem to go against the carry law but who're you going to appeal it to? This was then taken to mean the entire court complex. It was further expanded to include any building with a courtroom in it. See the reach of judicial power?

The place it gets interesting is when a local activist visited his library openly carrying. Said library had one of those neat signs ... He was trespassed out but he and his attorney pushed the issue and Henn Co changed their signs on all non-court buildings.

The basic gist is that the local governments were reminded of the limits placed upon them by the law. All this through the actions of one man willing to be a test case and his attorney.

It's not Illegal for them to post any sign they want. Or at least they haven't been spanked for it yet. It's a win win for them I guess. If it convinces a law abiding citizen to limit themselves the bureaucrats in power get to exercise it and the law be damned. Now the Counties are seeing how far they can go and technically be in compliance. We all know the criminal is going to go back and put his gun in the car when he sees the sign, right? Wouldn't want to complicate his crime spree by ignoring the sign

Wanna see an interesting sign? They posted the welfare offices ... Can you say profiling?
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Links