Does any one have this?

This is a discussion on Does any one have this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have the statistics for how many conceal carriers in the US-How many lives saved in the US annually.?-- Might be hard to find ...

Thread: Does any one have this?

Does any one have this?

Does anyone have the statistics for how many conceal carriers in the US-How many lives saved in the US annually.?-- Might be hard to find out the second one. In all maybe anything that has a connection with conceal carry statistics? Thanks!
    Nothing remains the same!

2. Remove Ads

I'm sure that getting the total CC permitt holders wouldn't be an issue,.. But getting the correct number of people that carry would be an issue being many people have the permitt, but never carry,.. Or rarely carry... I haven't even saw anything on how many people are protected,.. That isn't something they want to get out,. If people ever opened there eye's and saw that OWNING a weapon and knowing how to use it to protect them selves is a GOOD thing,. WOW.. government wouldn't like that now,.

Quote Originally Posted by shingman2345 View Post
    Does anyone have the statistics for how many conceal carriers in the US-How many lives saved in the US annually.?-- Might be hard to find out the second one. In all maybe anything that has a connection with conceal carry statistics? Thanks!
    Forgive me for not being able to cite the article or remember the exact number, but I remember reading that the regular carry rate of those with permits in one state (I think Florida) was incredibly low, like well under 10%.

The second number is impossible to determine. It is probably fair to assume that most defensive uses would not have ended in a murder, but tell that to the person with a gun or knife in their face. All we can do is cite reputable research regarding the number of defensive gun uses. Even then, I'm not sure how many of those studies, if any, break it down to home guns VS carry.

If you find out, please post it here

The State of Tennessee has the information for handgun permits on their website. It's even broken down by county and towns. The info doesn't go beyond how many permits...nothing about usage. You could check each state if you really want to.

I don't have carry numbers but here are some links to self-defense numbers:
    GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense?
    Guns and Self-Defense by Gary Kleck, Ph.D.
    I'm not sure how dated these are, they are simply the first couple sites I dug up but Gary Kleck is a nationally-recognized authority on the subject and writes periodically, updating prior work.

Though your location differs from mine, maybe you can benefit from seeing some of the lovely statistics Texas CHL holders have been producing over the past years:

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection

Of note:

As of 12/31/08, there are 314,574 CHL holders in Texas (including yours truly) and 1,511 licensed instructors

Of these, 85,973 were issued during the 2008 calendar year.

I've seen another page that has the actual crime statistics for CHL holders in Texas--I'm looking for it and will post when found
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

Bingo: Texas DPS - Conviction Rates Reports

In the year 2007, there were a total of 61,260 convictions in Texas for a wide variety of charges...

160 of those were CHL holders, amounting to a 0.2612% of the convictions mentioned above.

Hope to see some national numbers if anyone can find 'em. Did a quick search myself and couldn't.
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I think PA is in the 600,000 range. At least that is what I remember. The lady at the court house told me that our county has 8,000 active permits. We're about average state wide.

Off the top of my head, I checked these for a report back in 2007, and do not have them in front of me right now. Arkansas had about 1.5 million people there was about some 62,000 CHL holders in the state and in case you were instered about 5,600 ceritified LEO's. (this did not count any Federal officers) So you were about 12 times more likely to meet a CHL as a LEO.

Thankyou all for the reply and I hope to find more as we go along!
    Nothing remains the same!

Links