Night time options?

Night time options?

This is a discussion on Night time options? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After many previous threads and opinions. I have decided to go with a personal light not attached to my weapon (Taurus 24/7 .45). That frees ...

Thread: Night time options?

Night time options?

After many previous threads and opinions. I have decided to go with a personal light not attached to my weapon (Taurus 24/7 .45). That frees up the front rail for maybe a laser. Before anyone suggests it the G6X is a no go because the laser is on the bottom moving it radically far from the muzzle and the light has gotten really pooe reviews in gun-test.
    Besides its bigger then the surefire x200 and I will already have a hand light.

I'm looking for some good recommendations for a front rail mounted laser. That is assuming there are no guide rod models for the tauruses torsional guide rod spring. Also would like a pressure pad for instant on capacity. The taurus is a molded plastic frame so no grip traces either.

Another post about night sights had something to do with Hexsite. These look really cool. I would like some user feed back before going with them. Also anyone think they could be used with a tritium front sight?
    The dot would probably need to be higher to properly center as its designed to use a flattop. Is the "ghost ring effect" too difficult to focus through altogether at night under stress. Here is the link for the hexsite.
    I Would like to keep my options open but not get too carried away.

http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/pistols.htm
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Bryan, I'm here to tell you: You have been attacked by the Funky Gadget Bug. Do not be afraid. Breathe deeply, and say, "I will spend my money after careful consideration....", 10 times.

Seriously, if you are cc'ing, the Lasermax guide-rod replacement system is probably the best out there. (Maybe in the near future for your piece?) I don't use it, but know people that do, and it seems to be durable and consistant. Re: lasers. Honestly, the only real application I can see (and more than a few folks with much more "serious social time" than I would begin to dream of), is for achieving hits when you are downed, and need a quick shot from a grossly out of alignment posture.

A laser might, possibly, just maybe could, dissuade a BG. If the BG isn't focused enough to not be seeing your little dot on him, he really isn't thinking of hurting you. Just my take, but the "he sees the dot and runs" thinking smacks of serious ADD, on the part of the theoretical BG.

The Hexline sights look to be a variation (more expensive!) of the ghost ring pistol sights:
    http://www.entreprise.com/ghostrings.htm
    No advanatge to the hex shape...... Personally, I'm partial to XS Sight Systems express sights, http://www.xssights.com/ as I actually do find them faster than the GRs or 3 dot. I would suggest tritium "standard" profile 3 dot, or the XS dot(plain if not Trit), as these are both more visible in low-light. The GR principle will not work at night, without some good backlight, and again (IMVHO), isn't up to the plain tritium, or express sighting setup.

Of course, it is all up to you. A home defense pistol on the night stand doesn't have the same considerations that a CC pistol will have, but, in essence, having a rail does not require that you hang something on it.

My priorities:
    1) Good iron sights
    2) Mags
    3) Ammo
    4) Training

Enjoy!!!!

either the Laser Max system, or the Crimson Trace are two fine platforms for you to explore
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

That's the basic idea I need some good Info before I commit on a purchase as I have limited funds. Thought the hexsite was a little over blown seeing as the hex shape your not supposed to focus on supposedly helps eye alignment. They are also a little pricey for just an iron site. The 3 dot system seemed to work better with lower light Ans seeing on how light sticks aren't supposed to ruin night vision I see Little problems there.

laser is just an get on target item as a backup to normal sights should be integrated like the sight picture dependent on the time. If you don't have time to get sights on the laser would be a help. IMHO lasers used properly are not for deterrent or extended use just an added option to a non standard sight picture. If the laser gide rod is available it would lessen the option holster problems.

As for lighting I've decided to go with the surefire G2Z because of the grip and its competitive price about $85.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Crimson Trace will not work as stated because 24/7's have a premolded grip. Can 't find any Information about Laser Max for the 24/7 either so looks like back to any rail mounted options available.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Had a laser, ditched it. Found that I was slower getting on target with my duty weapon than if I was using sights. Its your call, but I dont know a single operator on my agency that uses one (pssst we shoot about 1000 rounds each range day)
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    Had a laser, ditched it. Found that I was slower getting on target with my duty weapon than if I was using sights. Its your call, but I dont know a single operator on my agency that uses one (pssst we shoot about 1000 rounds each range day)
    Thanks I have been trying to tell people this and I get all kinds of flack. If you don't have the latest toy hanging on you pistol you won't make it. I waiting for mico waves that mount on rail. Might be a long fight and need a hot snack. How about a hair dryer so you can look good for the press. KISS has worked for years and will today.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Crimson Trace will not work as stated because 24/7's have a premolded grip. Can 't find any Information about Laser Max for the 24/7 either so looks like back to any rail mounted options available.
    Ditto for my HK had to buy a adaptor rail but after much wringing of hands and the hoarding of $$$ M6X
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I'm of the mind that all one needs is a good flashlight, a loaded handgun and the determination to use them.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Lead Moderator
    perhaps try a cheap laser first . you can buy em for around $20 any more and see if you like using it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I use the Hex site on my Sig. They work great for me. I know a few others who use them and everyone I know likes them. Most say they are just a ghost sight. But the shape of the Hex when you look through it you automatically center the front sight. The trouble with most shooters is the concept of how you use a Hex Site is so different then the way they learned to shoot that they don't look at them with an open mind. I to thought it was BS until I put them on the Sig. Take and read the Web site. After you read it call a few of the people or LE Depts that have tried the Hex and see what they say. That way you will get an honest opinion of how they work. Being so different from the focus on the front sight that most shooters were taught you have to talk to people who have used them to get an honest review of them. I'm sure you will only hear good about them.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    Absolutely! I'd look for the laser and then get it to the target, instead of just looking at the target and having my sights in the vicinity. Seemed to take forever to find the laser dot.... but a lot of people have strong opinions that lasers are the greatest...

I'm not a big microwave person, but a little gas grille that would fit on my AR15 might be cool.

Assistant Administrator
    Seemed to take forever to find the laser dot.... but a lot of people have strong opinions that lasers are the greatest...
    David - I confess I am a laser fan. But I will say this - and it maybe only applies to me. Because I bring the gun up in point mode, then to be followed if time by conventional sighting - the aim is so close to actual that there is so need to seek the laser dot!

It is there or it ain't.! Almost all time if in any degree of subdued light it is there on target, by default if you will - and this means then an immediate option to be able to concentrate on it, even maybe if time allowed keeping it on target while adjusting into cover etc.

Despite Steve's comment (fed) - I am led to believe there are some departments which use them quite a bit. They sure are not for everyone and I'd never want anyone to treat them as anything approaching a 1º sighting method, far from it. They are adjunctive only - but one heck of a potential bonus.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

One point to consider is that the laser point can also make you a target as the BG can aim towards the point. I spent good money on the LaserMax for my Glock 30 and ended up not using it. I was more afraid the batteries would be dead when I needed the laser, and my target acquisition is much faster with just my sights. Btw, I have TruGlo tritium fiber optic sights now on my 30 and they are great.

I have the CT laser on my G23. In a "draw & shoot" scenario, I find the laser most useful when firing from a retention position and at distances greater than my eyes will let me see both the front sight and the target. The eyes just ain't what they used to be. . .

In other situations, I can do a "covert draw" with no noise and without causing the laser to come on. (Mine doesn't have a master switch.) Sort of a slightly relaxed grip that doesn't activate the laser. It's now become quite instinctive, just like keeping my finger off the trigger until I've acquired a target. It does take some practice.

When I want the laser, just a little increase in pressure and its there.

Of course, in the event I actually shoot, it will come on, but there'll be other clear indications of my location, so the little red light will not be what gives me a way.

Just my take.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Links