FL may issue w/o background checks

This is a discussion on FL may issue w/o background checks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...en-robbed.html The thread linked above has been runinng for a few days. However, in article about this topic Florida's Commissioner of Agriculture, Charles Bronson stated ...

Thread: FL may issue w/o background checks

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...en-robbed.html

The thread linked above has been runinng for a few days. However, in article about this topic Florida's Commissioner of Agriculture, Charles Bronson stated "By law, the department is required to issue licenses within 90 days of receipt of a complete application," Bronson wrote in his letter to Crist dated May 14. "If we do not meet this time frame, an applicant may, by law, request the license to be issued even without the results of the criminal background check being reviewed. We simply cannot process all of these applications in a timely manner because of this unprecedented surge in new applications."
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

If that is true I think it would be unfortunate. I appreciate the process that Florida makes you go through even if it is taking longer than it should recently. Aside from the safety couse as required by law, that background check is one of the most compelling reasons that Florida has such a high rate of reciprocity IMO. I would worry about dimished reciprocity if they start to do that.
    2A is not negotiable

I guess all those e mails we sent Charley Crist did some good. Charles Bronson's office would do better if he hired some people and created a couple of much needed jobs. rolyat63 thanks for the feed back. The money to hire someone should be there if some one hasn't already ripped it off.

Sounds like scare tactics, to instill fear into the minds of the sheep, in order to create a demand for more funding. Funding is what modern government is all about. Your BS indicator should be pegged.

It takes a matter of seconds to run an electronic background check and responses are almost instantaneous. It takes a clerk only long enough to type the full name and date of birth on a computer terminal. They can hire a summer intern to do it.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

They also have to do a finger print scan through NCIC. Some of the finger prints being sent in are not digital and have to be scanned in, before running them in NCIC.

Takes more than a few minutes.

But, I agree it’s a ploy to get his department funded, or at the very least, to keep his reserve money.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Sounds like scare tactics, to instill fear into the minds of the sheep, in order to create a demand for more funding. Funding is what modern government is all about. Your BS indicator should be pegged.

It takes a matter of seconds to run an electronic background check and responses are almost instantaneous. It takes a clerk only long enough to type the full name and date of birth on a computer terminal. They can hire a summer intern to do it.
    You're partly right about the funding.

You see, the legislature decided to raid the fund set aside under the law for administering the CWFL program. The license fees are supposed to support administering the program, and only that.

That's what Bronson is complaining about - and rightly so IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

You see, the legislature decided to raid the fund set aside under the law for administering the CWFL program. The license fees are supposed to support administering the program, and only that.

Matt
    Yup. Good call Matt.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

One problem that I see, if for some reason this goes down the road they are talking about, is without background checks, some, if not many of the states that reciprocate on FL license may find that they need to pull that agreement.

Florida would no longer be a sought after license without the multiple states recriprocating.

Hopefully they will get it all worked out and you all will be able to keep what is really a good license for lots of states.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The Gov is going after a Senate seat...I doubt he's foolish enough not to veto this action...we'll see soon...he'll loose a lot of votes if he let's this slide through.
    I sent my email to encourage him to veto...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is not something NEW,It's been like that for well over a year now,if they can not process in a timely manner no backround check! Last yr my father in law applied for his,for some reason they could not read his finger prints,mad him go in to be finger printed over,samething happened by that time 3 months were up they just gave him the permit! UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Right or wrong the law is the law. If the Dept. of Agriculture cannot meet its own application/issue criteria and processing times then they should issue in a timely manner.

If this is wrong then the law needs to be changed or they need to do whatever is necessary to make sure all applications are processed correctly and in the time frame allowed.

The law says "Shall issue". It doesn't say "May issue". The law says license "shall be issued within 90 days" not "shall issue whenever we get around to it".
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

Matt
    The problem with the Govenor veto'g the legislation that absconded with 6m dollars of the Dept. of Ag's trust fund is that if he vetos the bill then the 6m that they already stole come directly out of the Education budget. The people that are responsible knew that if they didn't write that in that it would be veto'd immediately. The crappy part is that they aren't even stealing the money for a good reason i.e. creating jobs, reducing homelessness, repairing roads etc. the money they are stealing from every department in the state is going into their "Operating Fund" it's a damn travesty.
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Links