Florida Post Office Carry - Page 2

Florida Post Office Carry

This is a discussion on Florida Post Office Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My local post office isn't posted either, it's still not legal to carry there. neither are the local parks, can't carry there, Hospitals..etc. We're supposed ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida Post Office Carry

My local post office isn't posted either, it's still not legal to carry there. neither are the local parks, can't carry there, Hospitals..etc. We're supposed to know the law, posted or not.

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    My local post office isn't posted either, it's still not legal to carry there. neither are the local parks, can't carry there, Hospitals..etc. We're supposed to know the law, posted or not.

Local parks???? Isn't that city or county issued? I know in my town parks we're not suppose to carry,. City owned, but the county run parks are not a problem,...

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Oh oh...

Too much popcorn ...where is the coke ???

I was getting worried, we hadn't had that thread for several months ???
    Last edited by jfl; May 20th, 2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Ok, I'll bite.

There appears to be some question as to the legality of the post office carry ban instituted. I'll let you determine the veracity of the argument -- from what I can determine, the courts have not, yet.

Question about concealed carry in a Post Office Robert Louis Williamson’s Weblog

The US Post Office in my hometown has a sign stating No Weapons Allowed, plastered right on the front door. We have to abide by that sign as per WV law, so no carry in ours. Plus, they have huge metal detectors as you walk in to the service area.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Metal detectors? Really? So when you walk in with keys and change in your pocket they go off? Do they have a guy clearing you to enter? Or are they maybe the anti theft deals that most stores have.

sss
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Or are they maybe the anti theft deals that most stores have.
    That's more than likely what they are. Almost every post office I've ever been in has those -- they don't resemble metal detectors in the least bit, but people still seem to think that that's what they are...
    "A professional politician is a professionally dishonorable man. In order to get anywhere near high office he has to make so many compromises and submit to so many humiliations that he becomes indistinguishable from a streetwalker." - H.L. Mencken

Sorry, but illegal

USPS employee found guilty of having a gun on postal property. He was found quilty and sentenced.

This was just last fall.

they tried the heller defense and it did not carry any water.

steve the mailman

What many of you are missing is the question pertains to "satellite" post offices- businesses that have a USPS counter in an otherwise independent business. We have them in Florida but I've not seen them in other states. Locally, we have one in a pharmacy and had another in an office supply store before it went out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    Metal detectors? Really? So when you walk in with keys and change in your pocket they go off? Do they have a guy clearing you to enter? Or are they maybe the anti theft deals that most stores have.
    Yes, Muddy, some type of metal detector that looks like the anti theft devices you see in other stores. Once I was shipping a metal part for a drum set to an E-bay buyer and it was all wrapped in a box as I walked through. It went off and everyone in the place looked up.

As stated earlier, ours is posted with the "no gun" sign and it's off limits to any CC.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    There is a big difference in USPS post offices and the pack and ship stores here in MI.
    If I have to ship anything I send it UPS, from the office, 6 blocks away from the USPS, if I need stamps I get them through my letter carrier, place an order and she brings them the next day. No worries about having to disarm for stamps, and I can ship my work from UPS while I carry
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links