Employment discrimination against gun owners? - Page 2

Employment discrimination against gun owners?

This is a discussion on Employment discrimination against gun owners? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The company I work for reserves the right to examine any and all packages, parcels, bags, etc. It is a company in Va. Pretty much ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Employment discrimination against gun owners?

The company I work for reserves the right to examine any and all packages, parcels, bags, etc. It is a company in Va. Pretty much anything on the companies premises is open for inspection. There are signs in many,many locations.

VIP Member
    First, welcome aboard!

It does sound like you have had your rights trampled on and I'll also vote for "get an attorney"!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

About user
    Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Occupation
    Attorney
    Donation Date
    00/00/0000
    Primary carry gun
    Kahr K9
    Signature
    Virginia Legal Defense;

CLICK ON "VirginiaLegalDefense" ABOVE

I agree with the above posters - your rights were trampled. I cannnot give any information as a reference on former employees and coworkers other than dates worked and position title.

I want to take a different tack on this issue. My wife wants to purse carry, but from almost everything I have found on the subject, that doesn't make much sense. The fact someone could confiscate your gun without your knowledge is proof. I got her a SmartCarry. If it's not on your person, it's a dangerous liability as you have learned to your detriment.

Next time, it could be a mugger yanking away your purse - and ending up with your defensive weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I want to make the same points that others have made.

1) First company had no business going through your purse unless you somewhere somehow gave prior permission. Moreover, it is quite possible that whoever actually took the gun from your purse was not legally allowed to even hold it. Maybe a crime was committed by both the act of removing the gun and possessing it? It isn't really all the unusual for security employees to have records of their own.

I assume they returned the gun, but if not they committed theft and someone is holding a stolen gun. Report that to the police if it is the case.

2) Your second employer probably can legally fire you for any reason, or no reason, but your first one did something malicious which precipitated the firing. They had to have anticipated the probable effect of contacting the new employer. Given that they knew you were licensed, what could they possibly have expected would happen except maybe a bad outcome for you with the new employer. Even if they meant it as a good gesture to the new employer, they still harmed you.

You need to speak with an appropriate civil litigator, an attorney who specializes in employment law, with a view to holding the first employer responsible for causing you to lose your second position by doing something they must have known would harm you.

You might hold a big trump card here if searching your purse and taking the gun (even if it was returned) is at all construable as an illegal act. Was anything else removed or taken too? Anything not returned? Any personal secret in addition to your cc revealed? E.g., would they have seen medicines they shouldn't know about? Might they have passed additional negative info to the new employer?

If you suspect anything like that, an employment lawyer may be able to squeeze some answers and some compensation from them.

What dirt bags.
    Pretty much what this guy said. Unfortunately VA is a right to work state so your employer can pretty much fire you for anything or no reason at all. With certain exceptions of course. But the illegal search and taking of your possessions by your first mentioned employers and you can probably to.

Good luck though.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    +1
    get a lawer. you have won already.

take the setlment and by your self another gun.
    Get yourself another gun? We all will be going to Irish's place instead of Front Site for training.

+1 for getting a lawyer and suing the company that went through your proerty!

You did get your gun back right?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    I agree with the above posters - your rights were trampled. I cannnot give any information as a reference on former employees and coworkers other than dates worked and position title.

I want to take a different tack on this issue. My wife wants to purse carry, but from almost everything I have found on the subject, that doesn't make much sense. The fact someone could confiscate your gun woithout your knowledge is proof. I got her a SmartCarry. If it's not on your person, it's a dangerous liability as you have learned to your detriment.

Next time, it could be a mugger yanking away your purse - and ending up with your defensive weapon!
    Note the important point here that I was thinking while reading down through the thread.
    Having your firearm accessable to others is a BIG problem.

While I agree with most of the others when seeing a potential for early retirement, I see a potential for other problems if you don't figure out a way to limit access to your personal weapon(s).

Stay armed...keep it on your person...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I agree you should have a suit against the first company, they violated your rights by going through your private property. As to the second company, I doubt a suit would hold up against them. VA is a right to work state and you may be terminated at any time with or without reason. IANAL so this is just my understanding of the law.

Lightbulb Your gun was unattended and unsecured?

This is my first post here so I hope I'm not butting in, but I had a thought or two.

1) I don't know how many people agree but I've always had the opinion that a gun should be either holstered or locked up. If rumor spread enough for HR to find out and then take it out of your purse without you knowing, it could have been anybody stealing it.

2) I don't think you have a lawsuit against the first employer based on the search waiver you most likely signed with your former employer. And while it was very tacky what you former employer did, I doubt there are laws preventing the former employer from contacting your current employer regarding the matter. As for the second employer, even in right to work states there is a difference between being terminated for cause and being terminated without cause. You may have a lawsuit there.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Get yourself a good employment laywer, preferably one who is gun friendly, sue the crap out of the first employer and the second if possible, buy yourself a few new guns and on-body holsters.
    I'm very possesive over my firearms, they are either on my body or locked in the safe, always.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    To Irish.. You want to sell your lawsuit to me for $25,000. Today? If what you posted is true. I'd be will to bet that your orginal company and whom ever placed the call to the new company (old HR person?) would settle this suit for $250,000-$500,000 if not more. I would sue both of them. You would win hands down. And be willing to bet the new company that let you go would also be willing to ante up some money to make the lawsuit go away .(provided that you did not violate company policies). I would check with a lawyer or two espically ones that work with the NRA. I bet your case would become one heck of a case for change in the workplace.
    She can sue all she wants and spend years in court and lots of money on legal fees -- she still will not win... I think there is more to the story then they just took the gun from her.. employers are not totally stupid!! There has to be more...

I would get a really good lawyer....if you were in Seattle, I could get you one and guarantee success. Not sure about Virginia.
    In case they know someone in your town and want to refer you to someone in Virginia, contact them at Eisenhower & Carlson, PLLC
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glock man View Post
    She can sue all she wants and spend years in court and lots of money on legal fees -- she still will not win... I think there is more to the story then they just took the gun from her.. employers are not totally stupid!! There has to be more...
    Think you are on to something.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

The first point, regarding going through her purse on company premises they may be able to weedle out of, but I can absolutely positively promise you that they will not get out of the second, that led to her subsequent termination from her second employer.

Contacting or releasing information the way her previous employer did regarding a personal choice of hers was none of their business and just exposed them to enormous civil liabilities, especially since she was abiding by her current employers' wish to not allow firearms in their workplace. At the time of her termination by her second employer, she was, until her previous employers' "warnings" a law-abiding dedicated employee following company policies. Their malicious statements smeared her good reputation.

As I said before, they may weasel out of illegally searching her purse and removing a firearm depending on how they spin their company policy, but they will definitely not be able to explain their way out of contacting another employer and telling them that she may be dangerous because she has a gun.....

Like I said to the original poster, HIRE A LAWYER!!!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links