How tight is your belt?

How tight is your belt?

This is a discussion on How tight is your belt? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I'm new to concealed carry - the forum and the practice. The info on this forum is fantastic and it directed me toward ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How tight is your belt?

Hello all,
    I'm new to concealed carry - the forum and the practice.
    The info on this forum is fantastic and it directed me toward the purchase of a proper gunbelt.
    My question is in regards to tightness. I bought a wilderness instructor with the extra 5 stitch. I'm not fat, but not as lean as I used to be... I have a 38" waist.
    I've been trying the belt for two days only - and I'm noticing that after dinner, I'm unloosening this thing a tad.
    I'm trying to find a place on this belt that feels good in the morning and still good after dinner.
    I'm carrying a 4" GP100 - not a light a weapon. (I've read enough to be aware of the debate regarding the term - I am Marine and I call it a weapon).
    So, I'm wondering, do you strap your gear on in the morning and there it stays? Do you cinch it down tighter than a regular trouser belt?
    And a similar question : My trousers have belt loops placed in different locations. This interferes with my attempt to wear my holster in the same location. I'm trying to figure this out. Any advice is welcome. Thank You.

Semper Fi

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I use two holes in mine--one for my Glock, and one-tighter for my 1911. Varying your hole choice isn't a big deal, and I'd actually call it "normal." Personal preference.

And, welcome to the Forum!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Same position all day, some days 16 hours, tight enough to support whichever I decide to carry from a Model 36 to a 686+, but not so tight as to be uncomfortable.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Mine stays in the same position most of the day.

One little trick is take a small drill bit and drill out a hole between the two holes you most often use. That might help.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    If you need to add a hole, and you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, a good dry cleaner can add holes for you. I had my dry cleaner add two holes, after I lost a few pounds, one that I use now and one I hope to use in the future. Total cost $2.00
    Last edited by Rugergirl; May 20th, 2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I always wear double row hole belts myself. Tight enough, but not too tight. When I'm set, I'm set for all day. I favor jeans that do have the belt loops in the best location for me, but you can always cut them off, and sew them back on wherever you need. If you don't sew, then find a friend that does. Wranglers and Lee jeans for me, and the Levi's Signature isn't too bad for belt loop locations.

when i carried IWB i did. now that i use OWB i don't as much. after dinner i would adjust a hole or if i knew i was going to be sitting a while i'd losen it a bit.

thanks for the idea ram rod i should have thought of that! i carry at around 2-3 o'clock and the belt loop gets in the way, don't think the holster has the room to properly stretch out and conform..hmm..now i have to find someone that sews...

i keep my gun belt tight,when i get home i loosen it by one hole.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I use two different holes for different guns. I tend to wear my belt tighter for CC than I would notmally just to limit any movement with the holster.

I wear mine 16 hours a day, fairly tight. I have found that if it is not tight my pants sag noticeably on the side the gun is on. I have run into the same problem with different pants having belt loops in different places. I usually wear jeans and try them with the IWB holster (in the try on room at WW of course ) before I buy them.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I wear it snug enough that it will support well and not pull up my pants much if I try to draw. It doesn't really fluctuate for me.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I wear mine fairly tight. If not, as someone said ealier my pants sag on that side. After i get home and am relaxing for the evening ill loosen it a hole but i dont mind pulling my pants up alittle if im just around the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman04 View Post
    I wear mine... fairly tight. I have found that if it is not tight my pants sag noticeably on the side the gun is on.
    +1.

Though I would add that with shorts the belt has to be even tighter. Tighter than I would prefer, but the tradeoff is not constantly pulling up on the rig to keep it at my waist.

MDINNIE

Semper Fi Devil Dog

I am an older man and I cultivate the Tony Soprano look with an outside the trousers shirt. I wear Perry suspenders (attach to belt with hooks) under the shirt. The suspenders actually carry the weight of the piece. The Perrys would support a Barrett if you could conceal it!

Master Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

First of all welcome to the forum.

I carry my sidearm at 4 O’clock, and most of my pants have a belt loop right in the middle. I stick the belt through one of the holsters loop, then my pants loop, then the other loop of the holster. I then tighten down the belt, before placing the Glock 26 in the holster. By using a belt loop to work with the holster loops it holds the holster very tight to my body.

And to answer your question, if you eat a big meal, you may need to loosen your belt. As other have said, I switch between one belt hole to the next one. But by doing such the sidearm is not tucked as tight to my body.

When I get home, I disarm and place my carry rig in a drawer. I keep two pistols loaded at home for HD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links