Defensive Carry banner

Helping wife CC in summer

2K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  bigdogtx 
#1 ·
My wife and I have two young kids (toddlers), and my wife is a full-time, stay-at-home mom. In theory, she wants to conceal a firearm day-to-day (has permit), but in practice it seems easier said than done.

Her main concern is that she'll be discovered, most of all by one of the other moms in her frequent play groups. We also have very highly energetic kids that keep her twisting, bending, scrambling, dodging, ducking....they're little rascals for sure :)

Any tips from anyone who's ever been, or wife/SO has been, in a similar situation.

The wife's friends are not necessarily anti..I don't think the topic really comes up...but, she doesn't believe they would be indifferent and just doesn't want to deal with potential confrontation with people she relies on for sanity (when the kids are bouncing off the walls).

She's read Cornered Cat, and loves it, and also has watched some of Lima Tunes' youtube videos.

#4 ·
Smartcarry or pocketcarry seem like te best ideas, but she may also think about keeping it in a diaper bag or purse while she's on playdates. Not as handy, but less likely she'll be discovered. When we're out with my 18 month old, there's a lot of time I'll put mine in his diaper backpack because it comes with us wherever we go.

#5 ·
I would be extremely careful about carrying off body (purse, diaper bag, etc.) since leaving a gun unattended because you are distracted with one kid or the other may lead to a potentially dangerous situation.
My wife is in the same situation (not so convinced about everyday carry yet) and I am looking at smartcarry or ankle holster for her SP101 .357 mag.

#17 ·
IMO, she absolutely should not carry in any type of bag that is not on her body. Especially since she's carrying an LCP, which has no manual safety. If she keeps one in the chamber, it's too much of a liability to have it be separated from her, even for a moment, around young kids. Even if you teach your children to be safe around guns, you can't control other people's kids. Just my $0.02.

If I were her, I would order the tight v-neck holster shirt from master of concealment (dot com). They make them for women, and no one will ever know she's packing. It's very comfortable, and she can continue to wear tight fitting shirts and blouses (if she's into that). And there is absolutely no problem with mobility. She will forget her LCP is even there. I've tried the 5.11 and the Kramer versions as well, the master of concealment version is the best. There is also a website called UnderCoverComfort.net that sells a racerback holster shirt for women. I haven't seen one, but you could give them a call as well.

The belly band would be my second choice, but then she has to wear a baggier shirt untucked and be careful when bending over with the kids. It's comfortable, though.

Good luck.

#22 ·
Hahahah......:rofl:

I had to investigate what you were talking about and then I came across this...(I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP! IT WAS ACTUALLY ON THEIR SITE!!! LOL!)

Actual Caption:

"Kristina shows how SmartCarry® is worn
By popular request, we have added this picture of Kristina, the "SmartCarry®" girl! Her attractive appearance is only outdone by her wonderful personality and character. She depends on SmartCarry® for personal protection - note that Kris is left-handed."

This is great! :haha:

#19 ·
Purse or diaper bag carry around small children is not a good idea. As mentioned above, women's pants pockets are small. Smart Carry may be the best choice.

#20 · (Edited)
I'm eagerly following this thread, as my wife is in a similar situation - stay at home mom with a 2 and 4 year old...definitely a lot of aerobic work during the day. Currently, she carries a Taurus 85 in a CC purse with a locking zipper for when the kids are around. I'm trying to help her find an alternate method, as I don't think purse carry around kids is the best, for several reasons. Unfortunately, she is pretty stubborn about fashion...she refuses to wear anything baggy or "frumpy". I like the shirt holster idea. I have one for dressy, deep-concealment occasions and like it. Any women out there use one? Are they comfortable for women? Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

#21 ·
I think Budge has the right idea. Having it high up on the body has 2 advantages.
1st is that she will know right away if it gets dislodged or drops out.

2nd is it will be out of reach as she is probably a lot taller then the kids she is watching.

I would also suggest that she DOESN'T have one in the barrel, as kids that young probably couldn't rake the slide to arm it.

How many times have you heard.."He was only out of my sight for a second"?

Never take anything for granted as far as kids are concerned.

Just my 2 cents.

#23 ·
I some what recently started using a belly band. They are cheap and I wanted to try one... I loved it! I started out pretty skeptical, but it is really practical for me, easily concealed and I do not have to worry about being made.

Womens clothing does not really work for pocket carry... at least none of what I own does... and I work landscaping!

Good luck on her search!
Krockett

#24 ·
Couple of options for you.

DeSantis Gunny Sack Junior r76

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1

OfficerStore.com: Camelbak Goblin Concealed Carry Lumbar Pack, Blue, 28 oz/0.8L

Concealed Weapon Fanny Packs

If your toddlers are active, then she can keep some bandaids, neosporin etc in the storage areas and no one would be the wiser and she can carry almost a full size weapon.

I personally use the gun gear type when riding the motorcycle. And no it doesn't scream gun as I am old. :image035: Nobody pays attention to me anyway. :frown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.