Exemption for concealed carry licensee who is a student @ college in upstate NY?

Exemption for concealed carry licensee who is a student @ college in upstate NY?

This is a discussion on Exemption for concealed carry licensee who is a student @ college in upstate NY? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have Utah CHL with Florida CHL pending. I'm aware it may be unnecessary to apply for Florida CCW non-resident license if I have Utah ...

Thread: Exemption for concealed carry licensee who is a student @ college in upstate NY?

I have Utah CHL with Florida CHL pending. I'm aware it may be unnecessary to apply for Florida CCW non-resident license if I have Utah CCW license, but having FL permit should provide maximum coverage in reciprocity.

I read a policy regarding possession of weapons and firearms on a college campus as found on a particular college web site, which says there is an exemption. It read as follows:

It is a violation of [college name] policy to possess any weapon, firearm, or other dangerous instrument, as defined in the New York State Penal Law, Article 265.00, on the premises owned or controlled by [college name].

Exception: Under limited, legally prescribed circumstances, the Director of Public Safety may issue written, express consent for an individual to possess a firearm on the [college name] Campus.
    I suppose possessing both pistol and "full carry" licenses (every county vary in issuance policy, with exception of NYC and select counties that deliberately make it hard for good, ordinary citizens to obtain carry license, e.g. Westchester [downstate by NYC vicinity], Nassau and Suffolk [Long Island]) might relax college's division of Public Safety provided I have documentations to satisfy their question of reason for need to possess such as certificates to prove my competency and 5-year old certified police report document of my experience as an assault victim.

Possession of a firearm on campus may mean carrying concealed perfectly legal. I would have to avoid asking Public Safety administrative officer whether I can carry prior to application because it could be grounds for rejection of a request for exemption.

Btw, I'm still in Utah in the meantime. Utah state allows CC on campus at public universities that receive state funds. Private universities prohibit cc, of course.

This particular college in NY is a private university and I've been accepted to study for a "public university" price.

I'll make a gamble to request an exemption after demonstrating my good character and jumping through the hoop to acquire pistol and full carry licenses in a "reasonable" upstate county when a year of residence is established.

I tried something similar at Indiana University back in the mid 1990s when I was a student there. It didn't work :/ -- I was even former law enforcement *and* had an Indiana permit.

I wound up carrying anyways and just risked the administrative sanctions (not a crime to do so in Indiana) -- I can't speak to New York law.
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

According to NY law, you may only carry on campus with permission of the institution. Here is the law:

It is a crime to possess any rifle, shotgun or handgun in or upon the building or grounds of any school, college or university in the state without the written permission of the institution.

That said, you MUST have a valid NY permit:

No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

In NYS you must have a permit to POSSESS a handgun. The laws in NY are very restrictive and many LEOs in NY don't know the laws.

As far as I am personally aware you must be a resident to get a permit to possess a handgun in NYS. That permit if "unrestricted" allows you to carry as well.

And you are correct that certain counties are nearly impossible to get permits from. The permit will be issued in the county of your permanent address (think drivers license).

In many NY counties the wait time is over 6 months from the time one submits the application until you get the permit. If you are in Rochester, as your profile says, you will probably be waiting 7-9 months for Monroe county to issue you a CCW permit.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand86 View Post
    In NYS you must have a permit to POSSESS a handgun. The laws in NY are very restrictive and many LEOs in NY don't know the laws.

As far as I am personally aware you must be a resident to get a permit to possess a handgun in NYS. That permit if "unrestricted" allows you to carry as well.

And you are correct that certain counties are nearly impossible to get permits from. The permit will be issued in the county of your permanent address (think drivers license).
    I'm originally from Upstate, and I concur. Sadly, legally, you're SOL. Only hope with the state/county is to have a resident address, then IF you get approved it would be after a lengthy wait. THEN you have the school to deal with. Not likely either.

I'd get comfortably with less than lethal options, ratchet up the Situational Awareness, and get out of PRNY as soon as you can.

Just DON'T carry illegally. It's no slap on the wrist in NY.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

It is a violation of [college name] policy to possess any weapon, firearm, or other dangerous instrument, as defined in the New York State Penal Law, Article 265.00, on the premises owned or controlled by [college name].
    hmmmmm, stapler, pencil, pen, most sporting equipment, where do they draw the line ?. Fact is most everyday items can become lethal weapons in untrained hands.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Exception: Under limited, legally prescribed circumstances, the Director of Public Safety may issue written, express consent for an individual to possess a firearm on the [college name] Campus.
    Those exception clauses almost always apply to weapons being brought onto campus for educational or research purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post

I'd get comfortably with less than lethal options, ratchet up the Situational Awareness, and get out of PRNY as soon as you can.

Just DON'T carry illegally. It's no slap on the wrist in NY.
    I'm aware of strict laws in NY that slap felony penalty for a mere possession without license.

I might look into carrying a self-defense knife at or less than 4 inches. Kershaw Leek Combat Edge stainless type. With a defense spray (with or without licensed carry gun or knife).

NYS have beautiful scenery all over, but FUBAR when it comes down to the right to self-defense and freedom to choose and keep arms.

The fact that NYS is recently ranked 51st as the state with worst drivers (reckless and hot-headed) doesn't bode well for citizens trying to find a way around to obtain a carry permit issued at the sole discretion of a county judge. I mean defensively dealing with drivers overcome with road rage.

I might join New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, unless its reputation is marginal for opposing CC according to an article I read somewhere.

I'm aware it may suck to live in NYS where the likelihood of being an unarmed victim may increase, but I will find a way around and "survive."

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdogg View Post
    I'm aware of strict laws in NY that slap felony penalty for a mere possession without license. ........
    Ahem, that's only if you're not career criminal.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Nexttime View Post
    In many NY counties the wait time is over 6 months from the time one submits the application until you get the permit. If you are in Rochester, as your profile says, you will probably be waiting 7-9 months for Monroe county to issue you a CCW permit.

It is a little known law, but in NYS the investigating authority (In Rochester, that would be the Monroe County Sheriff ) has 6 months tp notify you, one way or the other, if you will receive a CCW permit.

I know because in '94 when I applied for my permit, at 9 months, 2 weeks and 3 days I ran into the guy that owned the American Sportsman Gun shop and complained it was taking so long. He told me to call the Sheriff and ask where my application was.

When I called, the officer found my paperwork after about a 20 minute wait. He had the sound of panic in his voice and apologized profusely. He said he "would personally walk it over to the judge today"

The next day I got a personal call from Margaret DeFransico (the Monroe county clerk at the time) telling me that she had my permit and that I could come down anytime and pick it up.

So if you applied for a permit and it's past 6 months, call the investigating authority and ask where it is. Or have your attorney call?

It's my understanding that Monroe County is a little more "gun friendly" than most counties in NYS.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

The problem with NY is that the counties vary so much. Most counties require that you live in the county of issue for 2 years before you can even apply. Then in most cases you need to get 4 signatures from people who live in that county and have known you for those 2 years.

You should apply in the county you live in now, and not the one you are moving to. And as others have said it is a 6 month wait no matter what county you are in so get started right away.

Most of the upstate counties, are much more gun friendly. Some will issue with carry restrictions but most will issue.

Think twice about, "I might look into carrying a self-defense knife at or less than 4 inches. Kershaw Leek Combat Edge stainless type."

If you are carrying a knife, other than a little pocket knife, and are not in the act of hunting, fishing or using it as a working tool, you are carrying a dangerous weapon. NY has equally restrictive laws concerning knives.

Check out the NYS penal codes dealing with knives...
    bosco

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdogg View Post
    I have Utah CHL with Florida CHL pending. I'm aware it may be unnecessary to apply for Florida CCW non-resident license if I have Utah CCW license, but having FL permit should provide maximum coverage in reciprocity.
    FYI - New York doesn't honor Florida permits. Also some states *SC, CO, KS and a couple more) only honor Florida resident permits.

I don't want you to get in trouble.

Carrying on campus is almost surely a no-deal. Even if your handbook indicates you can get permission to carry, you can bet that exception is granted so infrequently as to be statistically insignificant.

Sponsored Links