One permit down, one to go -- NC - Page 2

One permit down, one to go -- NC

This is a discussion on One permit down, one to go -- NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Y-E-A-H!!! one step closer........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One permit down, one to go -- NC

Y-E-A-H!!! one step closer.....
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Congrats!

Clue me in, are you saying you have to make an appointment that takes 30 days just apply for the CHP? Is this in Meck county? I'm just up the road on LKN in Iredell and it was only 45 days for CHP and you walked in waited 5 minutes and you had your purchase permit.

Woooohooooo! and congrats on surviving an obviously flawed process to exercise your rights.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

WOOHOO!!!! Happy for yo!!

Lead Moderator
    Enjoy the SIG now that you "really" have it!!

(Which SIG are you getting next? )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    What is a purchase permit? Please excuse my ignorance.
    Okay, in Mecklenburg County, where I live (Charlotte), you have to have a PERMIT issued from the Sheriff, to purchase a handgun. The process goes like this: Download the application online or go downtown and get one in person. Fill it out with your $5 application fee, wait 30 days, and then after they do the BG check, they are supposed to notify you to come down. You have to pick up the permit in person at the Sheriff's office so they can check your ID and make sure everything matches. At that time, you may pick up an additional 2 permits for $5 each. Every application you fill out, once approved, is good for a maximum of 3 permits, you need one per handgun per purchase.

Part of the permit's legalese states that the Sheriff's office did a background check and nothing in it would be a violation of law with me owning a handgun. Then another part said that the Sheriff is satisfied that I have demonstrated good moral character or something. Weird. *shrug*

However, if you have a CCW, it acts as a purchase permit, but the wait is REALLY long here...more on that below.

Also, as I understand it, if you want to purchase a rifle/shotgun though, you don't need a permit to purchase, you just go to an FFL dealer and they call it in! Weird, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by hardlivin View Post
    Congrats!

Clue me in, are you saying you have to make an appointment that takes 30 days just apply for the CHP? Is this in Meck county? I'm just up the road on LKN in Iredell and it was only 45 days for CHP and you walked in waited 5 minutes and you had your purchase permit.
    Yes. In Meck Co, you have to make an appointment to turn in your application for a CCHP. I was already fingerprinted at my local PD to save time, but when I called the SO to make my appointment, they told me they would not accept any printing done by an outside agency, that I had to come in and have them do it electronically. *sigh*

Here in Meck Co, you MUST have an appointment to apply for your CCHP. Once you get the appointment and turn in everything to the Sheriff's Office, you wait about 90 days (they tell me) to have your permit come in, get approved, whatever. But when I called them to make my appointment last month, they told me the EARLIEST APPOINTMENT AVAILABLE was July 23rd! (I called in mid-April!) Then they found a cancellation, so I was able to get in for June 23rd.

I call daily to see if there are any more cancellations. They may just get so sick of hearing my voice, they decide to let me in early, right?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    What is a purchase permit? Please excuse my ignorance.
    In NC a citizen must get a permit from the Sheriff's Office ($5 in Wake Co.) to purchase a gun. They run a background check on you while they process your application. This can take several days or weeks, depending on the county. There is a limit on how may "purchase permits" you can get per year.

Now, if you have a ccw permit, then you won't need to get purchase permits and can purchase firearms at your leisure.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by hardlivin View Post
    Congrats!

I was wondering about that too. All we had to do was walk in and if it hadn't been for the darn fingerprinting machine I would have been out of there in about 3 minutes. In our county we didn't need any kind of appointment. Took exactly 14 days from the day I walked into the office til I picked it up.

Congratulations Bunny, I had seen you post often and figured you already had your permit. Enjoy the sig!

congrats!
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

hooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

WhooooHooooo! Congrats. I am learning alot on this site. I thought Ohio was a bit complicated to get a CHL until reading some of the posts here from other states We don't need no stinkin permit to just buy a handgun. That is a You have to take a 12 hour approved course and submit a copy of the certificate of completion along with your application and $55 to your county sheriff or the sheriff of an adjacent county to get your CHL. Up until the election, it only took about 10-14 days to get your permit, from what I heard from friends. Since the election it has been taking a lot longer in some counties. Took my wife and I 4 weeks and 1 day, which I thought long until reading of some of your waits here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links