South Carolina (limited )Reciprocity

This is a discussion on South Carolina (limited )Reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SCfromNY On the bright side for us in SC more states recognize us than we do them. BTW . . . If ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina (limited )Reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    On the bright side for us in SC more states recognize us than we do them.

BTW . . . If you can not pass SC's firearm evaluation I do NOT want you with a gun near me.

I have the NH non resident and PA which picks up quite a few states. FL has the same resident only permit rule, kind of ironic since they probably have the most requested non resident permit.
    What exactly is SC's firearm evaluation? Thanks

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonStang View Post
    in SC your firearm may be in the glove box, center console or the "luggage area" of the vehicle.

in GA all you need to carry is a signed letter from the sheriff, where SC requires 8 hours of class room time and a shooting evaluation.
    GA what??

There could be something else that holds up SC and other states from wider reciprocity.
    Each state has time frames for misdemeanors, minor drug offenses, exc, so this can become a sticking point. 1 state allows you a permit if you haven't done X in the last 5 years but another says it can't be within 10. So no reciprocity.
    The non-resident permit thing sucks w/SC. WV just got rid of it. No state should have it unless they offer a non-resident permit, like NH and FL.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    There could be something else that holds up SC and other states from wider reciprocity.
    Each state has time frames for misdemeanors, minor drug offenses, exc, so this can become a sticking point. 1 state allows you a permit if you haven't done X in the last 5 years but another says it can't be within 10. So no reciprocity.
    The non-resident permit thing sucks w/SC. WV just got rid of it. No state should have it unless they offer a non-resident permit, like NH and FL.
    press1280, handgunlaws.us shows that WV doesn't accept a non-resident permit. I have a non-resident Utah permit.... and that site says I can't carry in WV........ Maybe I don't understand your post.... which is entirely possible.....

When you say WV "got rid of it" does that mean handgunlaws.us is not up to speed on that change..........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    press1280, handgunlaws.us shows that WV doesn't accept a non-resident permit. I have a non-resident Utah permit.... and that site says I can't carry in WV........ Maybe I don't understand your post.... which is entirely possible.....

When you say WV "got rid of it" does that mean handgunlaws.us is not up to speed on that change..........
    There's another thread running on this, but WV just changed their laws. Here's a link: NRA-ILA :: Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Reform Bill Becomes Law in West Virginia
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

in SC your firearm may be in the glove box, center console or the "luggage area" of the vehicle.

in GA all you need to carry is a signed letter from the sheriff, where SC requires 8 hours of class room time and a shooting evaluation.
    In GA you need an FBI records check and prints done by the Sheriff's Dept. The Probate Judge simply signs your GFL and mails it to you.

Thanks for clearing up DE, MD, and SC. I was going to go for the UT anyway which will take care of part of the problem. SC sounds manageable. MD...well, they sound like another NJ. Thx.

Mackster

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    What exactly is SC's firearm evaluation? Thanks
    50 rounds fired at distances ranging from 3 to 15 yds. 70% of the shots must hit a standard silhouette target. There is also a time limit but it is very generous. For example - at 3 yds: you have 5 seconds to fire 2 rounds from low ready and 7 seconds to draw and fire 2 rounds. At 15 yds you have 15 secs to draw and fire 5 rounds. Not really challenging if you are at all proficient.

You would be suprised how many people take the CWP course with little or no pistol experience. I typically see failure to qualify rates of about 10%. This is usually a new shooter who has a gun that doesn't fit them or they are trying to shoot a snubby revolver and don't have the hand strength control it or to shoot it in DA. It's amazing how many husbands make their wives buy the wrong guns.

Quote Originally Posted by akhimark View Post
    50 rounds fired at distances ranging from 3 to 15 yds. 70% of the shots must hit a standard silhouette target. There is also a time limit but it is very generous. For example - at 3 yds: you have 5 seconds to fire 2 rounds from low ready and 7 seconds to draw and fire 2 rounds. At 15 yds you have 15 secs to draw and fire 5 rounds. Not really challenging if you are at all proficient.

You would be suprised how many people take the CWP course with little or no pistol experience. I typically see failure to qualify rates of about 10%. This is usually a new shooter who has a gun that doesn't fit them or they are trying to shoot a snubby revolver and don't have the hand strength control it or to shoot it in DA. It's amazing how many husbands make their wives buy the wrong guns.
    It doesn't sound "challenging" to someone proficient...

I did a quick check on reciprocity.... and from that SC accepts permits from this following:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming

I don't think all of these meet SC requirements... Maybe others who have knowledge of their states' requirements can chime in....

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    I think anyone, even w/o a permit, can legally transport a gun lawfully in SC as long as its in a locked compartment and unloaded just like FL when transporting a gun. Unlike other states like MD or NJ where you have to meet the guidlines of the Federal Transportation Act if you don't have reporicty.

Does not have to be in a locked compartment. It can be loaded and carried in the glove box or center console for protection.

Or cased in the trunk.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Tennessee requirements ar very close to SC requirements.

The whole point of the 10th amendment to the USC is to allow states the right to determine most of their own laws. By "states" they mean the people of that state. In short , if I am a resident of Tennessee, Tennessee has the right to say if I can go about armed or not. SC recognizes this and they will allow carry with a state resident permit from the home state. TN also recognizes home state issued resident HCP/CHLs.

Non-resident permits actually go against the 10th amendment principle (note the word principle!) in that they are issuing permits to people from other states, thereby stepping on the home state's authority. This just falls short of the so-called "Federal HCP", which does violate the 10thA. I personaly am against the non-resident permit, as I feel it infringes on State authority. If you live in a state that won't issue you a permit, move or get very active and visible in a campaign to change that rule in your state. We scream 2d Amendment Rights all the time, but there are other Constitutional rights involved. You can't just enforce one without enforcing the rest.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by sirdarksoul View Post
    In GA you need an FBI records check and prints done by the Sheriff's Dept. The Probate Judge simply signs your GFL and mails it to you.
    Good on Georgia. That's the way the process should be.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Good on Georgia. That's the way the process should be.
    i disagree with you. the majority of the 8 hour class deals with when you can and cannot use force. it also serves to educate about the applicable laws to concealed carry. there is also a (rather loose) shooting portion. i dont think anyone who passes a simple background check should be set loose with out some form of education.

i disagree with you. the majority of the 8 hour class deals with when you can and cannot use force. it also serves to educate about the applicable laws to concealed carry. there is also a (rather loose) shooting portion. i dont think anyone who passes a simple background check should be set loose with out some form of education.
    You think just like a politician, had you ever thought of becoming one?

Maybe the politicians will disagree with your speaking ability and require you to take lessons before you can exercise your free speech.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    I think anyone, even w/o a permit, can legally transport a gun lawfully in SC as long as its in a locked compartment and unloaded just like FL when transporting a gun. Unlike other states like MD or NJ where you have to meet the guidlines of the Federal Transportation Act if you don't have reporicty.
    Yeah um thats just wrong.

Anyone may have a LOADED weapon in the glovebox, console or truck storage areas. They DO NOT have to be locked.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links