South Carolina (limited )Reciprocity

This is a discussion on South Carolina (limited )Reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have Colorado and Utah permits. Neither one is good in South Carolina, a state I would like to visit later this year. I'm good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina (limited )Reciprocity

South Carolina (limited )Reciprocity

I have Colorado and Utah permits. Neither one is good in South Carolina, a state I would like to visit later this year. I'm good to go throughout the south but NOT in South Carolina.

What's the problem??

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

2. Remove Ads

they are picky? i don't know...i think florida finally got reciprocity only a few months ago with them..either that or it was NC..i don't remember which

SC will only have reciprocity with states that have the same or greater training to get a cwp. sc has reciprocity with Florida, NC and several other states. search SLED it will list them all.

Virginia just in the past 3 months got reciprocity from South Carolina. Unfortunately for those that do not live here and would have to get non-resident permits.... South Carolina recognizes only full Resident Permits.
    Do whatever floats your boat, but don't dare to try and sink mine.

I think anyone, even w/o a permit, can legally transport a gun lawfully in SC as long as its in a locked compartment and unloaded just like FL when transporting a gun. Unlike other states like MD or NJ where you have to meet the guidlines of the Federal Transportation Act if you don't have reporicty.

in SC your firearm may be in the glove box, center console or the "luggage area" of the vehicle.

in GA all you need to carry is a signed letter from the sheriff, where SC requires 8 hours of class room time and a shooting evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by test drive View Post
    SC will only have reciprocity with states that have the same or greater training to get a cwp. sc has reciprocity with Florida, NC and several other states. search SLED it will list them all.
    At one time I had a resident CO... and non resident FL, UT, and PA. Presently I only have CO and UT..... These two provide me with lots of reciprocity coverage. I wonder just what requirements SC has that CO and UT don't have........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonStang View Post
    in SC your firearm may be in the glove box, center console or the "luggage area" of the vehicle.

in GA all you need to carry is a signed letter from the sheriff, where SC requires 8 hours of class room time and a shooting evaluation.
    ClemsonStang, in SC can the firearm --- in the glove box or center console --- be loaded ?

Thanks

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    ClemsonStang, in SC can the firearm --- in the glove box or center console --- be loaded ?

Thanks
    Yes, it may be loaded.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Sc ltcf

I have a PA resident ltcf which is reciprocal with FL, NC, VA, and GA ,I believe. I do the I95 PA to FL drive quite a bit. That leaves a gap in DE, MD, and SC. Do I need to apply for a non-res LTCF in each state individually? BTW, I have a cert for 16 hours with an NRA instructor and an NRA Basic Pistol cert. What's the best way to have carry through all these states between PA and FL? Thanks.

mackster

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Oaks View Post
    Virginia just in the past 3 months got reciprocity from South Carolina.
    What?

See: South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

RECIPROCITY

As of September 12, 2008, states with which South Carolina has reciprocity are:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law. For that reason, out of state residents of reciprocal states should familiarize themselves with restricted carry locations and other provisions of South Carolina law posted on this website. South Carolina permittees who carry firearms in reciprocal states are likewise responsible for familiarizing themselves with the applicable laws and regulations of the reciprocal state. Web sites of those states may be accessed by selecting the desired state name listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Oaks View Post
    Unfortunately for those that do not live here and would have to get non-resident permits.... South Carolina recognizes only full Resident Permits.
    Yep. See above.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by mackster View Post
    I have a PA resident ltcf which is reciprocal with FL, NC, VA, and GA ,I believe. I do the I95 PA to FL drive quite a bit. That leaves a gap in DE, MD, and SC. Do I need to apply for a non-res LTCF in each state individually? BTW, I have a cert for 16 hours with an NRA instructor and an NRA Basic Pistol cert. What's the best way to have carry through all these states between PA and FL? Thanks.
    For DE you can get a UT or FL non-res and it will be good. You're out of luck in MD, period. You'll have to lock it up, unloaded, in the trunk or somewhere inaccessible from the passenger compartment if in a truck or SUV.

SC isn't as bad as MD. At least you can stow it loaded in the glovebox or console for that part of the trip. I've made that trip carrying in a paddle holster. Just before the SC border I pull the whole holster off my hip and stow it in the console without stopping.

Last time I looked, you were good to go in 26 states with just a PA Resident LTCF. A UT non-res adds OH, DE, WA, NV, MN, NM, MS, and AL for a total of 34. You have to take the UT course from a UT-certified instructor, but there are plenty in PA. Take a look at handgunlaw.us for a link to the UT BCI website, where there's a downloadable list (PDF) of instructors by state.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

On the bright side for us in SC more states recognize us than we do them.

BTW . . . If you can not pass SC's firearm evaluation I do NOT want you with a gun near me.

I have the NH non resident and PA which picks up quite a few states. FL has the same resident only permit rule, kind of ironic since they probably have the most requested non resident permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    Yes, it may be loaded.
    also glove box or console does NOT have to be locked

Quote Originally Posted by test drive View Post
    also glove box or console does NOT have to be locked
    Thanks for the info..... So if one is simply driving through SC he/she can have a loaded hand gun right next to them in the unlocked console. That's better than nothing.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links