Young lady clerk at the jewelry store

This is a discussion on Young lady clerk at the jewelry store within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a nice jewelry store yesterday to pick out something for my wife, we have an anniversary coming up; she's put up with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young lady clerk at the jewelry store

VIP Member

Young lady clerk at the jewelry store

I went to a nice jewelry store yesterday to pick out something for my wife, we have an anniversary coming up; she's put up with me buying guns for 34 years now. Anyway, a young lady sales clerk, early 20's, was helping me out. I picked out something for my wife and while the young lady was finishing things up, I asked my son, who was with me, out loud whether I should get her this jewelry or buy her a gun instead. I said it loud enough so the clerk could hear me, as my intentions were to tease her a bit. She looked up at me and said, "Absolutely, get her a gun instead". After a few seconds of discussion, we knew we were all clearly pro-gun, and I told her that I was only teasing her that my wife ccw as it was. She quietly stated to me that she does too. Of course I didn't ask her any more details and have no idea if she was actually ccw as we spoke.

Curious, I asked her was she from this area (we were in Shreveport), air force base nearby so lot's of folks from everywhere. She said no, she was originally from Kosovo, and has been in the US for ten years. She spoke perfect unaccented english, used plenty of american slang and toted a gun. I'm thinking wow. She was really pro-gun I would have liked to talk to her more, but had to rush. We wondered how much influence her Kosovo background/family experiences had to do (if anything?) with her pro-gun, pro-carry stance? You just never know who you might meet, or their background, I'd never expected that response from her.

BTW my wife already has a handgun, permit and actively carries. However, she likes jewelry, like I like guns, so I'm not complaining.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

jfl
    Very interesting !!!
    There is hope.

Thanks for sharing.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Very cool!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Yep, you never know who you will run into at any given moment. And that is why I carry!

VIP Member
    Nice, thanks for sharing.

Cool!

That's great that you ran into a pro-gun gal....but why do you volountary out your wife's concealed carry status to complete strangers? Do you have her blessing to do so?

I'm curious because I would be really steamed if my wife told others(strangers or not) about my carry status, she understands that is a NO-NO.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

LOL, blind sided by the clerk. good story, I liked it.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    That's great that you ran into a pro-gun gal....but why do you volountary out your wife's concealed carry status to complete strangers? Do you have her blessing to do so?

I'm curious because I would be really steamed if my wife told others(strangers or not) about my carry status, she understands that is a NO-NO.

(1) My wife wasn't with me, we weren't even in the same town together at the time, it's impossible for the clerk to know her, or ever recognize her.
    (2) The clerk doesn't know my name or my wife's, or our city, or our address, etc etc.
    (3) I don't live near Shreveport, so it'd be pretty impossible for her to just "run into us someday"
    (4) I haven't mentioned the clerk to my wife yet because she'll want to know what I was doing in a jewelry story. However, she won't be steamed because she knows (1,2, & 3 above) she's anonymous regarding the clerk. BTW, we don't blab about cc status to anyone we actively know or associate with, aside from immediate family.
    (5) Is it okay to just blab to strangers that you'll never see again? No, I wouldn't really think so, but I don't think it's an inflexible rule either. Most importantly I wanted to be supportive of this young lady's decision, and let her know there was at least one other woman who ccw as she does.
    (6) Normally you don't quite have complete anonymity anyway. People you took the ccw class/training with know you ccw, and folks at the cc issuing agency do too. Clerks at the gun store, know or highly suspect you do when shopping for appropriate guns, ammo, or gear. Voluntarily, folks right here on DC meet with other members in their locale, shoot together, some write letters to their legislators regarding ccw issues, sometimes they even post their pictures right here on the internet.
    (7) Telling the clerk in this instance, may not work for you and your wife, and that's fine........ my wife and I prefer to be supportive to others, and use timely discussion to promote pro-gun issues
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

There is a time to stay concealed and quiet, and a time to discuss...we should be able to distinguish those times.

You did!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    There is a time to stay concealed and quiet, and a time to discuss...we should be able to distinguish those times.

You did!
    Thanks retsupt, I thought so myself.

I didn't realize it was quite so annonymous. I would still not reveal things that others would probably not want revealed...I would let them decide for themselves what each circumstance dictates. But I realize your point and that you were using it for encouragement. The gal was one step ahead of you, already having her CCW. Way to go.

I find it funny that she told you to get her a gun instead of jewelry that she was supposed to be trying to sell you, haha.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Cool story! Thanks!
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I find it funny that she told you to get her a gun instead of jewelry that she was supposed to be trying to sell you, haha.
    I thought so too, in fact her sincerity instantly caused me to know she was serious and not kidding at all. She was quite matter-of-fact about it.

I can't wait to tell my wife that the young lady at the jewelry store suggested that I use the money to buy her a gun instead. I'm sure my wife will find her to be an anomaly, especially since her opinion that gun purchases by me are lost jewelry purchases by her.

*BTW- I have my permit also, I just didn't mention it to the clerk, I used my wife to her as an example of another female ccw, I didn't talk about me at all.
    Last edited by ppkheat; May 23rd, 2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added

VIP Member
    Even she knew you can have too many rings or sets of earrings, but never too many guns!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links