Colorado permit renewal time?? Too long

This is a discussion on Colorado permit renewal time?? Too long within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife recently turned in a Colorado ccw renewal application. She was told the processing time would be 16-20 weeks..... In my opinion this is ...

Thread: Colorado permit renewal time?? Too long

Colorado permit renewal time?? Too long

My wife recently turned in a Colorado ccw renewal application. She was told the processing time would be 16-20 weeks..... In my opinion this is way to much time.

What have the rest of you experienced for renewal..... in Colorado or you own state?

Thanks

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

2. Remove Ads

If the permit expired, it usually takes the same amount of time as the new one. The wait time for renewal is anywhere from an hour to 10 days in WA state.

Thats why one shouldn't wait till the CCW permit expires. Renew well before the expiry date.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Things have changed since the runup to the election. My FL renewal two years ago took 10 days, door to door. This year, my wife's renewal took 100 days.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    If the permit expired, it usually takes the same amount of time as the new one. The wait time for renewal is anywhere from an hour to 10 days in WA state.

Thats why one shouldn't wait till the CCW permit expires. Renew well before the expiry date.
    My wife's current permit wont expire for six weeks.... We thought we were actually renewing "early." ....... and then find out it will take 16-20 weeks...

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

VIP Member
    I had to renew my VA permit in Jan. State law says you must submit at least 90 days before expiration but no more than 180 days. Took about 30 days for mine to come back.

I still find it odd that on initial permit they only have 45 days to issue, before they must issue you a temporary permit, but for renewal they have 90 days.

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    My wife recently turned in a Colorado ccw renewal application. She was told the processing time would be 16-20 weeks..... In my opinion this is way to much time.

What have the rest of you experienced for renewal..... in Colorado or you own state?

Thanks
    I think the same (90 days)rules apply for renewal as for a new permit, but contact your sheriff to be sure... you may still be able to carry with your expired license as long as the renewal is on file. The sherriff can issue a temporary permit instantly until the renewal is done also.

My new permit took 83 days almost 12 weeks and seems to be the norm around CO now. CBI is backed up and I read they are processing 112 applications on average a day. Does CBI run a check on renewal?

Quote Originally Posted by Cytoviper View Post
    I think the same (90 days)rules apply for renewal as for a new permit, but contact your sheriff to be sure... you may still be able to carry with your expired license as long as the renewal is on file. The sherriff can issue a temporary permit instantly until the renewal is done also.

My new permit took 83 days almost 12 weeks and seems to be the norm around CO now. CBI is backed up and I read they are processing 112 applications on average a day. Does CBI run a check on renewal?
    I'm hoping she can get a "temporary" permit until the renewed permit arrives.

Re: CBI doing a check on a renewal....... I don't have a clue.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Arapahoe County gave me my renewal right there on the spot. They do a criminal check afterwards and if something has changed they call and demand the return of the permit.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Arapahoe County gave me my renewal right there on the spot. They do a criminal check afterwards and if something has changed they call and demand the return of the permit.
    Well you can't get much better turnaround than "on the spot."

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Well you can't get much better turnaround than "on the spot."
    Both Arapahoe and Douglas have been very friendly and easy to work with. The people doing to paper work/processing clearly were for citizens being armed.

If you don't want to share I understand, but I am curious what county you are in?

Edit: That reminds me- I applied for my first permit in Arapahoe, but then moved to Douglas. I went to renew in Douglas until I learned that in order to obtain a Douglas permit I would have to apply there (which would have taken around 90 days). So my renewal was still processed in the original county I first applied in for a speedier process. Is this similar to your situation by any chance?
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Permit and drivers license are supposed to be at your residence, I think.

Links