Church Safety - Page 4

Church Safety

This is a discussion on Church Safety within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should disarm at church because I'm reluctant to shoot kids? I'd hope every armed citizen would refrain from shooting a BG if there's a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Church Safety

I should disarm at church because I'm reluctant to shoot kids? I'd hope every armed citizen would refrain from shooting a BG if there's a good chance of hitting an innocent instead. Who/What are you trying to protect?

As to the why... well, like I said, I would engage a BG if I were close enough to stop him. That's hard to do unarmed.

It's scary how gun-ho some folks are...
    Crime should be outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    So you would be willing to let the BG shoot up the place, potentially killing or injuring your fellow worshipers, without doing anything to stop him?

Then WHY are you carrying in church?
    To protect myself and my family. I am not a cop. If I have a reasonable chance to prevent harm to others I will try to do it, but they must share responsibility in their own safety. My own comes first.

Michael

The ideal situation would have organized security with multiple armed members spread around the room, so one would be close enough to stop the shooter.

No matter what, if you aren't armed you won't be able to shoot him. You'd be down to people rushing him and tackling him.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

In a situation like this, I will take the BG down until the LEOs get there. I will of course make sure I don't injure anyone in the crossfire.

I am not a vigilante, but I could never forgive myself if I didn't act and a lot of people got killed by the BG.

I am signing up for IDPA training this fall...
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by narcberry View Post
    I should disarm at church because I'm reluctant to shoot kids? I'd hope every armed citizen would refrain from shooting a BG if there's a good chance of hitting an innocent instead. Who/What are you trying to protect?

As to the why... well, like I said, I would engage a BG if I were close enough to stop him. That's hard to do unarmed.

It's scary how gun-ho some folks are...
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    To protect myself and my family. I am not a cop. If I have a reasonable chance to prevent harm to others I will try to do it, but they must share responsibility in their own safety. My own comes first.

Michael
    I agree narcberry has the right thought process on this and mlr1m has his priorities correct. If you can't operate within the legal, ethical and moral confines as prescribed for "civilian" CCW...DON"T carry...or carry an edged weapon. That way you can satisfy the need to defend all (which I understand can be overwhelming) with a weapon that requires you to be one on one with little opportunity of collateral damage.

1. A better way is to have many armed so the odds of someone being able to get in and make a contact and/or pointblank body shot highly probable.

2. Work in pairs. You with the edged weapon and a shooter directly behind you at low ready (YOU, as first in, quite honestly, are the shield and decoy). The BG will most likely be in severe auditory and visual disarray not alert to close encounter, don't yell or demand anything (remember, the fight is on, surprise and violence are now YOUR friend) plant the blade as deep and center mass as you can...front, back or side doesn't matter! leave the blade in place and drop to the deck. As you fall away the shooter is up from low ready (yes, the shooter has been covering "you" with the muzzle during this event. Takes guts and untold trust to work as a pair) and makes the contact shot. You are back up ASAP, draw your pistol and add contact/pointblank rounds until the BG down. The designated shooter may have taken a round and you will need to carry the fight.

DAMN nasty business now isn't it? This isn't Beirut (yet) and very likely most of us are not federal/military trained rescue teams. The response needs to be thought through, planed and practiced!
    A slow hit (bullet or blade) beats a fast miss every time because you can't miss fast enough to catch up when its "do or die".

And as to what started this thread...where are those misses going???

John

Have never told, so I do not know what our pastors response would be. Myself, and several others or either ex-LEO's or current LEO's and I carry.
    10mm Rocks

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    There may be other situations where it is not necessary to shoot in the auditorium.

Assuming the BG was in the auditorium and began shooting, people running and trying to get away, would you shoot without regard to whomever you might hit?

I would not.

In fact I would not want just any CHL holder shooting in my church, and would consider restricting carrying until there had been some instruction and satisfying myself that we do not have some "Knights in shining armor" just waiting to save the day and in the process killing or injuring more members than the BG would.

Regards,
    Jerry
    With all due respect, the highlighted portion is rather (insert adjective here), considering the training we are SUPPOSED to have in regards to target identification. I did not suggest that one shoot indiscriminately.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    With all due respect, the highlighted portion is rather (insert adjective here), considering the training we are SUPPOSED to have in regards to target identification. I did not suggest that one shoot indiscriminately.
    Thanks for the reply, and I did not think you would shoot indiscriminately.

I am not thinking also that any of our students would do so, but I would not trust their markmanship in any event.

Have a good day.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links