My wife made someone at dinner

My wife made someone at dinner

This is a discussion on My wife made someone at dinner within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy y'all. My wife and I are in San Antonio enjoying some much needed vacation from school until June. So anyway, we were at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wife made someone at dinner

Talking My wife made someone at dinner

Howdy y'all. My wife and I are in San Antonio enjoying some much needed vacation from school until June. So anyway, we were at the restaurant across from the hotel enjoying some mexican food. Towards dessert, my wife looks straight ahead and says, "that guy is carrying". (Right eyebrow raises) "Really, where?" and she describes the person. I glance and catch him bending over to pick up something where i see a tan, empty, OWB holster at the small of back. It appeared that it was for a small revolver. The man goes on to the counter to pick up something and the wife starts to walk our direction. I got the woman's attention. She comes over and I said in a whisper, "sorry to bother, but tell your husband to look up Galco Summer Comfort". She looked SO CONFUSED and asked, "I am sorry, what is that?" I then said that his holster was exposed and suggested that another holster would be a better option. She leaves and the husband meets her at the front. 2 minutes later, she comes back with a guilty smile and says, "I told him and he said not to worry, he is a cop". I smiled and said, "oh thats very good" and left it that. So....for the next 5 minutes, me and wife were wondering why a "cop" was carrying an EMPTY holster and why at small of back? I hypothesized that perhaps he wanted her to tell me the COP part to prevent any scene, maybe?

BTW: forgot to mention, from the counter to the front of the restaurant, the man kept tugging down on his shirt. Now I know how it looks from the third person view. i need to get me some bigger shirts.

oh well, nonetheless, we had a good time and enjoyed some flan and margaritas (don't worry, my M&P was locked in the closet in the hotel). Have fun y'all!!

This seems appropriate to your situation:

VIP Member
    +1 Blackeagle!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

She did what!?

Blackeagle: that was exactly the approach I was going for!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I would respectfully doubt that he's a cop, and agree that he was probably trying (poorly) to avoid a scene. Sounds more like he was Joe CCW who wanted to avoid carrying at the bar. Rough, however, if I'm right: better to have an uncomfortable scene than to impersonate an officer!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I would respectfully doubt that he's a cop, and agree that he was probably trying (poorly) to avoid a scene.
    +1

Very doubtful that he was a cop. Especially if he was tugging and with an empty holster. So dumb to say he was a cop. That is one sure fire way to make the situation worse.

Administrator
    I dunno, I've done similar things. Me and the better half have been out shopping, stopped for dinner and I decide to have a few beers. The gun gets locked up in the car.

Yes, I will leave he empty holster on for one simple reason. Any guesses?
    "Just blame Sixto"

'Cuz you're a klepto and it's a great way to swipe shot glasses?

Or are you one them folks that don't playing with their belts and their pants out in the middle of the parking lot for everyone to see?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I do un-holster my pistol in the car and lock it under the seat whenever I go to class or the work. When I go holster shopping, I make sure that it can reholster with ease so not to have to loosen the belt and whatnot.

MYOB

My suggestion, MYOB and not comment to the person.
    "Politicians and Bureaucrats, depend very much on the complicity of their victims, and like criminals, are flummoxed when we don't play the victim role."

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    Howdy y'all. My wife and I are in San Antonio enjoying some much needed vacation from school until June. So anyway, we were at the restaurant across from the hotel enjoying some mexican food. Towards dessert, my wife looks straight ahead and says, "that guy is carrying". (Right eyebrow raises) "Really, where?" and she describes the person. I glance and catch him bending over to pick up something where i see a tan, empty, OWB holster at the small of back. It appeared that it was for a small revolver. The man goes on to the counter to pick up something and the wife starts to walk our direction. I got the woman's attention. She comes over and I said in a whisper, "sorry to bother, but tell your husband to look up Galco Summer Comfort". She looked SO CONFUSED and asked, "I am sorry, what is that?" I then said that his holster was exposed and suggested that another holster would be a better option. She leaves and the husband meets her at the front. 2 minutes later, she comes back with a guilty smile and says, "I told him and he said not to worry, he is a cop". I smiled and said, "oh thats very good" and left it that. So....for the next 5 minutes, me and wife were wondering why a "cop" was carrying an EMPTY holster and why at small of back? I hypothesized that perhaps he wanted her to tell me the COP part to prevent any scene, maybe?

BTW: forgot to mention, from the counter to the front of the restaurant, the man kept tugging down on his shirt. Now I know how it looks from the third person view. i need to get me some bigger shirts.

oh well, nonetheless, we had a good time and enjoyed some flan and margaritas (don't worry, my M&P was locked in the closet in the hotel). Have fun y'all!!
    Don't take it the wrong way because I don't mean to be offensive, but why did you feel the need to get involved ?
    Especially with his wife; you don't know what you may have started ...

I am probably "made" many times a week, so what ?

In Florida, even if the gun is exposed briefly and unintentionally it is OK; it happened to me coming out of the men's room, my vest got stuck behind the G-26; 2 cops came in as I was walking out; one of them said to me "something is showing"; my hand darted to my fly, they almost fell on the floor laughing; every time I met them afterwards we smiled at each other.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post

Why do you feel that you had to get involved and say something? Also, once you made the decision to speak up, why did you tell the man's wife instead of him directly?

I think you should have kept it yourselves. By telling the wife, you could have created a lot of problems.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

yeah if you had told mine....plates and food would have been flying across the restaurant. And I would have had to go home starving.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Didn't quite think about that. I am just used to courtesy. I do see that the wife approach was not the right way. I was just trying to catch one of them before they went out. You gotta remember from my view, its "Mi Tierra" at the Market Square (high tourist population) with SAPD covering the area. My initial thought was to warn them before possibly getting the attention of the cops. Not all of us had good experience with police. I still remember when the police officer was interrogating me over my CHL during a traffic stop (thats another story on its own).

In the end, I'll just follow y'all advice and just mind my own business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links