Rotate mags?

Rotate mags?

This is a discussion on Rotate mags? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am somewhat new to concealed carry and have heard/read about people rotating their carry mags. The argument is that keeping a mag fully loaded ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotate mags?

Rotate mags?

I am somewhat new to concealed carry and have heard/read about people rotating their carry mags. The argument is that keeping a mag fully loaded for to long is bad for the spring. So who does and who doesn't subscribe to this theory? If you do, how often do you rotate mags and why that often?

Thanks
    D
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"
    --Benjamin Franklin

"Chop your own wood, and it will warm you twice."
    --Henry Ford

You don't have to change your mags out. The spring being compressed won't hurt them. I keep all mine loaded and have no problems. This guy did some experiments with his mag springs.

http://mcb-homis.com/magspring/index.htm
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

I rotate mine out every time I go to the range.. Once I come back, clean and load back up I use a different mag.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I have two sets of two mags, now stay with me on this. I am an instructor at a range and I shoot EVERYDAY! I use one set of mags with hollowpoints for carry and one set of range rounds. My carry mags I rotate out ever other week and I subtract two rounds from each. I do believe in the spring loosing some tension when mags are fully loaded for extended periods. I personally have seen this happen and have had foul ups. My mag holds 16 rds, so I carry 14+1.

Now, my range mags, I dont really care so much about. I load them down all the time, however, I empty them all the time! They get used!! Hope it helps!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I have 4, which rotate at the range as well. I was told the same thing about keeping them loaded wearing out the springs, but that if you rotate them monthly, it will keep the wear and tear to a minimum. Haven't had any experience with that yet though as I am a brand-new gun owner and the mags are also all new right now.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I rotate, but I also every few years stretch out my mag springs a bit. So far, one weapon we have has mags that are 20 years old, no failures with them.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedXDm View Post
    ...The argument is that keeping a mag fully loaded for to long is bad for the spring...

Thanks
    D
    Being new to firearms, good question.

No worries on keeping mags loaded for years, I'd suggest rotating carry ammo a lot more than that though.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    I rotate, but I also every few years stretch out my mag springs a bit....
    Not a fan of stretching springs. Springs are meant to be compressed (period).
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Being new to firearms, good question.

No worries on keeping mags loaded for years, I'd suggest rotating carry ammo a lot more than that though.
    +1 on rotating ammo.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Don't stretch springs! These are made to have a particular tension and bending them out of parameter can cause a failure. This is a terrible idea. Quality springs don't retain much memory from staying loaded. Actually, they wear out from running ammo through them. Loading and firing stresses the springs more. Keeping them loaded is not bad for them. I have heard of individuals finding guns loaded since the 1940's that still had good tension in the spring.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

I only rotate to keep the wear & tear even on the equipment, uniformity in function and performance is important.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I rotate my mags whenever I think about it or when I shoot up my carry ammo out of them.

I rotate once a week, always. I've had mag springs loosen up in the past and I won't let it happen again.
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Compressing the springs does not wear them out, the cycling is what has an impact. Leaving the mag loaded for a year has less of an impact than emptying that same mag at the range everyday for a year.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The answer depends on the magazine. High quality mags such as Wilsons can be kept loaded indefinitely and always function reliably, Those of dubious manufacture can and do fail out of the wrap.
    Don't let the quality of the gun be the determining factor either. High quality guns can come with crappy mags. When I was on my 1911 binge, I always replaced the factory mags with either Wilsons or McCormicks and never had a problem. I found the most notoriously unreliable mags were from Colt.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links