Outta Shape Much?

This is a discussion on Outta Shape Much? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll say a couple of things about this... I am 54 yrs old and had surgery a month ago. I am 30 lbs+ overweight. While ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Outta Shape Much?

I'll say a couple of things about this...

I am 54 yrs old and had surgery a month ago.
    I am 30 lbs+ overweight.
    While I am starting back on my exercise routine tomorrow (really, I am!), I am not in the physical shape to be running down anyone other than my 2 year old granddaughter.

When I am in shape, I don't know that I would be doing what you did.
    The legal ramifications of making a mistake could be severe. The physical ramifications of tackling a potentially dangerous perp are also severe.

I will be a good witness. May even follow someone if that is possible. I will call 911. But, I don't know that I will risk my life because BG shoplifted a $2.99 widget from Sears.

Now, if all of this is a matter of life and death, my thoughts may change. But, for what sounds like a purse-snatching or shoplifting event, not me at this time in my life.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Read Ram Rod's post. You made a mistake, IMO. That kind of rash action can land you in jail, the hospital or the morgue for no good reason. Think before you act.

Unfortunately, the guy you chased down and jumped on may have a civil case against you. If he claims that you injured him in any way, some lawyer may jump all over this. I know that you were only trying to do the right thing as you saw it, but you took a great personal risk in doing it as well as opened the door for civil or possible criminal action. I commend you for your bravery and hope that you do not face any repercussions for your actions.
    NRA life member.

Dicey situation...I'm not sure I would have done the same thing, but I am sure you were doing what you thought was right. Best of luck to you.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I might catch some flak for this, but oh well...
    Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. In all actuality you made the "right" choice. I just wouldn't make a habbit of it because it could have gone differently. America was founded on people who had the cahonas to stand up for what was right. Kudos, but stay safe.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I might catch some flak for this, but oh well...
    Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. In all actuality you made the "right" choice. I just wouldn't make a habbit of it because it could have gone differently. America was founded on people who had the cahonas to stand up for what was right. Kudos, but stay safe.
    America was not founded by vigilantes who attacked others without justification. The OP did not know what the guy had done, nor what he was capable of. By attacking him, therefore, he acted rashly and unwisely.

and jumped on his back as he fell to the ground i smacked my knee and scuffed my shoulder. I then put my knee into the small of his back and pulled his arms behind him.
    Hope the BG doesn't know a crooked chiropractor.

I have to agree with some of the statements about being sued. Be careful and pick your battles wisely.

Without courage, wisdom bears no fruit.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Yup, I smell a Gecko...
    If you aren't LE, aren't there some serious consequences for doing what the OP did?

Mall Ninja

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Let's see, I'm 56, with severe arthritis, spinal stenosis, about 80 lbs overweight, and in pretty rough shape. Back makes working out too painful. So, I have no future as an LEO. Think I could get a job with that mall as security? I think I would fit right in.

As far as the guy with all of the guns, well, we have mall ninjas, now we have CCW Ninjas.

Jeez - you folks are hard on this guy. He did what he thought was the right thing at the time. I'm sure he's now plenty worried about liability, but there's no reason to treat him like a pathetic cop wannabe. He stopped a criminal - that's something worth doing.

I looked through his other postings, and I didn't see any pattern of "wannabe" behavior. The only other possible indicator of "wannabe" would be his username without being a police officer is a little cheesy. I can write that off as bad taste rather than wannabe, though I hope he explains the reasoning.

Just saying - people seem awfully hard on him. It's not like he drew down on the guy. Just got involved in something that might get him in hot water later, out of good intentions.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Jeez - you folks are hard on this guy. He did what he thought was the right thing at the time. I'm sure he's now plenty worried about liability, but there's no reason to treat him like a pathetic cop wannabe. He stopped a criminal - that's something worth doing.

I looked through his other postings, and I didn't see any pattern of "wannabe" behavior. The only other possible indicator of "wannabe" would be his username without being a police officer is a little cheesy. I can write that off as bad taste rather than wannabe, though I hope he explains the reasoning.

Just saying - people seem awfully hard on him. It's not like he drew down on the guy. Just got involved in something that might get him in hot water later, out of good intentions.
    I don't think they are trying to be hard on him, they're only letting him know the possible consequences that comes when you get yourself in a situation like that. When another time comes around where he would have to make a decision, he would have attained useful knowledge to assess the situation better.

I'm happy that he stopped the petty criminal. In my opinion I would rather see him safe than harmed over a petty theft.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    I am in shape then again i am not my job requires me to throw cases of pop so i have to be in shape for that but if i run i get tied quickly i am in shape with my arms but thats it lol i dont have to run at all just throw any where from 5 to 60 pounds over 1200 times a day
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Before the OP goes and does something like this again I strongly suggest he read Massad Ayoob's, "In The Gravest Extreme," and this commentary by Evan Marshall Commentary by Evan Marshall

If I was off duty I would've done no more than been a good witness and maybe summoned the on duty LEO's to handle it from the description of events that took place.

Biker

I have to ask, were you armed at the time? And if so, would you have stopped him had you been unarmed?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links