Outta Shape Much?

This is a discussion on Outta Shape Much? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by farronwolf Yea, well where did he say anything about punishing the guy. But I guess if you want to take part of ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61

Thread: Outta Shape Much?

  1. #46
    Ex Member Array United93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yea, well where did he say anything about punishing the guy. But I guess if you want to take part of a definition and use that to imply his intentions, hey I guess your entitled to that.
    What part of 'such as' do you not understand?

    BTW, my use of the word 'vigilante' was in response to a post by SilenceDoGood. He was apparently comparing the OP to our founding fathers, because both 'did the right thing'. I disagree.


    highvoltage - Thank you, you're right. He did not act solely upon observations, but also upon a request he recieved from someone who may or may not have been a security guard. Dubious grounds on which to attack someone, I say...

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    ...highvoltage - Thank you, you're right. He did not act solely upon observations, but also upon a request he recieved from someone who may or may not have been a security guard. Dubious grounds on which to attack someone, I say...
    Well, I'm not going to second guess his actions, but I certainly understand his intent.

  4. #48
    Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
    He is an acrobat with Ringiling Bros... ;)

    I am going to guess he is a musician.
    Gotcha, I hadn't read his profile until just now. You're right, he lists "rock star." Wonder who he's with?

  5. #49
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    What part of 'such as' do you not understand?
    Yea, well if that was the only definition of the word you might have a point, but since it is also understood that most vigilante activity is illegal, then your take on his activities are in error. That is since the undercover LEO thanked him and didn't proceed to place cuffs on him.

    I guess if you were the LEO you would have arrested the OP for "attacking" the BG and let the BG/shoplifter or whatever he did go. Wow, we sure are making progress in this country.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  6. #50
    VIP Member Array AllAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield, Kakalaki del Sur
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Okay, I have to ask. Why are you jumping around on stage?
    Because Im a rock star... LOL ....Betcha didnt know that eh?

    I am the guitar player with an as yet not famous Nashville singer. We had a song that made it to numer 89 on the singles chart a year or so ago. One album under the belt and another on the way. I am releasing my own album by the end of the year. We have performed onstage with several folks you know including:
    Lynyrd Synyrd, Hank Jr, James Otto, Kenny Chesney, Sugarland, Pat Green, Miranda Lambert, Gretchen Wilson, Trent Tomlinson... OK Ill stop there.....

    It takes a ton of energy to jump and run around on the stage. We like to provide a HIGH energy show.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

  7. #51
    Ex Member Array United93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yea, well if that was the only definition of the word you might have a point, but since it is also understood that most vigilante activity is illegal, then your take on his activities are in error. That is since the undercover LEO thanked him and didn't proceed to place cuffs on him.

    I guess if you were the LEO you would have arrested the OP for "attacking" the BG and let the BG/shoplifter or whatever he did go. Wow, we sure are making progress in this country.
    Not every legal action is a wise one, farronwolf. Even if the OP's action was legal, it was still foolish and dangerous in the extreme.

    I did not say that what the OP did was illegal, nor did I indicate that, had I been an on-duty LEO at the scene, I would have arrested the OP. Maybe I would have, maybe not.

    I think we can agree, however, that LEOs, unfortunately, often are not as well-versed in the law as they should be. Therefore, the fact that the OP was not arrested is not a sure indication that he broke no law.

  8. #52
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamcop84 View Post
    I was waiting outside of Sears getting an oil change on my company vehicle on a Tuesday afternoon when suddenly this black gentlemen ran past me. I sat there for a moment when two security guards that worked at the mall the sears was in ran past me as well. Then a women in High Heels ran past as well. Me being the somewhat concerned citizen got up and ran to see what the comotion was all about. As i was running i noticed that the two security guards were roughly 300 plus pounds, as i passed them they shouted " Stop that guy", so i finally made it to the black man (Which felt like forever) and jumped on his back as he fell to the ground i smacked my knee and scuffed my shoulder. I then put my knee into the small of his back and pulled his arms behind him. When the two security guards and the women that ended up being HR reached to where i was i handed him over to them and they simply said "Thanks". At that point i was pretty outta breathe i walked inside with the security guards and the HR manager and was approached by an undercover police officer. The police officer said to me that no one else would have done that for them. I simply said i felt like i had to.

    I just don't understand why half of the police or security has to be so outta shape? You would think that they might encounter a scenario one day that they might have to run. Oh well i did my part anyway.
    Well, this is just me but, if I were in the same situation, I would have said "wonder what that was about?" to myself and then gone back to reading the book or magazine I brought with me to pass the time while my oil was being changed.

    I most definitely would not have thrown myself into a foot chase that I knew nothing about and didn't know if the person being chased was armed. That seems like a very foolhardy thing to do to me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  9. #53
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,773
    Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Not every legal action is a wise one, farronwolf. Even if the OP's action was legal, it was still foolish and dangerous in the extreme. :
    No it wasn't dangerous, he wasn't hurt, didn't loose anything, had no consequences of any of his actions. It could have been dangerous, but in this case it was not dangerous, especially in the extreme.

    I think we can agree, however, that LEOs, unfortunately, often are not as well-versed in the law as they should be. Therefore, the fact that the OP was not arrested is not a sure indication that he broke no law. :wave
    No we can't agree on this. I believe that most LEO's are better versed in the laws than most every day folks are. Many here may be as well versed on certain aspects of the law, say concealed carry or deadly force, but that is one small aspect of an entire set of laws. To say that somone in a law enforcement job doesn't know the law is actually pretty silly in my opinion.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  10. #54
    Ex Member Array Oldskoolfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In a secured zone.
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Because Im a rock star... LOL ....Betcha didnt know that eh?

    I am the guitar player with an as yet not famous Nashville singer. We had a song that made it to numer 89 on the singles chart a year or so ago. One album under the belt and another on the way. I am releasing my own album by the end of the year. We have performed onstage with several folks you know including:
    Lynyrd Synyrd, Hank Jr, James Otto, Kenny Chesney, Sugarland, Pat Green, Miranda Lambert, Gretchen Wilson, Trent Tomlinson... OK Ill stop there.....

    It takes a ton of energy to jump and run around on the stage. We like to provide a HIGH energy show.
    So you are not an acrobat?

  11. #55
    VIP Member Array AllAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chesterfield, Kakalaki del Sur
    Posts
    2,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
    So you are not an acrobat?
    LOL No... Im not quite that bendy!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

  12. #56
    Ex Member Array United93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    No it wasn't dangerous, he wasn't hurt, didn't loose anything, had no consequences of any of his actions. It could have been dangerous, but in this case it was not dangerous, especially in the extreme.



    No we can't agree on this. I believe that most LEO's are better versed in the laws than most every day folks are. Many here may be as well versed on certain aspects of the law, say concealed carry or deadly force, but that is one small aspect of an entire set of laws. To say that somone in a law enforcement job doesn't know the law is actually pretty silly in my opinion.
    'Dangerous' means 'involving or faught with danger', or 'able or apt to do harm', according to the same dictionary I mentioned before.
    By that definition, the OP's actions most certainly were dangerous in the extreme.

    I wrote that 'LEOs often are not as well versed in the law as they should be'. I did not write that LEOs do not know the law.

    To say that LEOs always know the laws they are to enforce is actually pretty silly in my opinion.

    Bottom line: The OP's actions were dangerous and possibly illegal, and I hope he will learn from this experience so as to avoid such foolishness in the future.

  13. #57
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,773
    United93,

    I guess you better stay home, because it is a dangerous world out there, you apt to get hurt doing just about anything besides sitting in your easy chair.

    Maybe you can find some penal code which states what he did was illegal in his state? What you might consider foolish, others might not, good thing you don't get to decide for the rest of the world.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  14. #58
    Ex Member Array United93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    911
    farronwolf,

    When one puts himself and others at grave risk for no good reason, I find it foolish. Cope.

  15. #59
    Senior Member Array BradyM77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    I think what it comes down to is that he did a good deed. It was a bit dangerous (running down a suspected BG whom he had no knowledge of...unarmed at that) but I'm sure in hindsight he realizes that it was a bit foolish. You can chalk that up to age/lack of experience, which I'm sure he'll get once he becomes a LEO.

    I say to the OP,
    +1 for willing to help out, good for you! Don't lose that willingness to help people just because you get criticized.
    and,
    -1 for jumping in without knowing what was going on, and being unarmed. For all you know he just raped a woman in a dressing room at gun point. Not a good situation to be in when you're the fastest one chasing him!
    =0 it's a wash, but if you learned something from this incident (look before you leap perhaps?) then I think you've come out ahead!
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

  16. #60
    VIP Member Array Dal1Celt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamcop84 View Post
    I just don't understand why half of the police or security has to be so outta shape?
    Round is a shape....

    Sorry had to add that...

    We say that in the military...
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Outta Sight, Outta Mind
    By youngda9 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: January 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM

Search tags for this page

everymanafreeman
,

out of shape security guards

,
why are security guards so outta shape
Click on a term to search for related topics.