Dealing w/ Offlimits Locations: Your System? - Page 2

Dealing w/ Offlimits Locations: Your System?

This is a discussion on Dealing w/ Offlimits Locations: Your System? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use a small gun safe. I don't think a glove box will slow someone down much, but may keep em from finding the gun ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lead Moderator
    I use a small gun safe. I don't think a glove box will slow someone down much, but may keep em from finding the gun if they are in a rush to search an leave.
    If I had to remove my gun alot during the day, I would get an electronic keypad safe.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    As bad as MA is, the only place off-limits by statute are schools (K-college), but there is an exemption for LE. By practice those buildings that have security at the door won't allow access with ANY weapons, but I make it a practice NOT to need to go to those sorts of places anymore. Only exception is courthouses where I sometimes have business/prisoners and they just make me lock up the gun (and any knives that they see) in their gun lockers at the security station. USPO is NOT off-limits in MA to anyone with a LTC (exemption is in US Code for "lawful purposes", in spite of the HCI-designed sign in every post office), which is required to own any guns in MA anyway.

Edited to add:
    MGLs make it a felony to leave a loaded gun in a motor vehicle, or an unloaded gun in a glove box. Gun must be unloaded and in a "locked container" (trunk qualifies, but locked glove box specifically does not). This would make it quite a project if we had to unload, lock up, retrieve, reload, etc. each time we stopped somewhere.

If the off limits place is real, that is there is a state of federal law against carrying then it goes behind the seat of my pickup in a locked handgun safe. If is a place that is posted “No Carry” then I go in anyway. If I am made and called on it then I leave without any backtalk. In Oregon there is nothing they can do to you if you walk out. They can charge you with trespass if you refuse to leave. Trick is to never get made.
    In HIS Service
    Scott F

Living in NH the only place off-limits to a CCW holder is any courthouse or building within a courthouse limit. Anyplace else is fair game. Personally, I try to keep myself in the state as much as possible s that I can carry. I very much dislike going anywhere out of state since I currently do not have permits to carry there (IE in Mass or Maine).

That being said, when I am off-duty and working my part-time job driving trucks for Tri-State, I'll remove my carry piece and leave it in my truck at my employer's house. The only reason being that I have no idea whether or not I'll end up inside MA. I don't want to get sent to MA on a pick-up and get pulled over by some bored HP or Statie looking to check my log book for the day. Carrying in MA without a permit is almost a guaranteed pass to jail. No thanks. On those days where I have to drive, I'll remove my carry piece from my holster, drop the mag and make the gun safe, then proceed to place the different pieces of the gun in different areas of my truck. Gun in one spot, mags in another, holster in another. Then I lock the truck down and set the alarm.

As crappy as it may sound, I have to try and follow the law as best I can. I do NOT need to be arrested or charged for having an "illegal" firearm in MA. My Battalion Chief and deaprtment Chief would not look to kindly on me having a record even though it's complete BS.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member
    Fortunately, in Alabama there are few places that are off limits: Courthouses and public K-12 schools. There is also a law against having a firearm within 1,000 feet of a public demonstration after being notified by a LEO that a demonstration is taking place and being ordered to remove yourself from the area and to return when not in possession of any firearm. That being said I have to go to the courthouse at least once per week and after next payday will take Rock and Glocks advice and get a couple of the COM gun safes. The prices are extremely reasonable.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Interstate transportation of firearms
    From the US Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 § 926A. Release date: 2004-08-06
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

For air travel, unloaded means no magazine in the mag well, even an empty one. The federal code for interstate transportation may be more stringent than state laws, but it makes a case for the use of a locking box or safe for both the unloaded firearm AND the ammunition.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't actually worried about securing my gun from thieves as much as concealment methodology within the vehicle for:

-not being made while transferring it to the vehicle storage location

-doing so safely

-and not scuffing the gun

I was securing the gun to go into the PO and no matter where I parked people could see into my vehicle, so I thought maybe fellow CCW holders had developed personal METHODS of covertly unholstering and storing their pistol when they had to disarm to go into offlimits zones or when parked in areas where cameras are watching into vehicles from on high or when people can and do see into the vehicle when needing to disarm.

God Bless
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

Considering that, while my truck isn't a high ride compared to most fullsize p/u it is higher than most passenger cars - most folks can't see anything below my upper chest so that helps. If someone is approaching the space on either side of me then I wait until they're gone.

Honestly, I find it's more difficult to put the gun and holster back on (while seated) than to take it off. It must look like I sat on a hornet's nest to anyone watching me squirm around. I GOTTA get a bigger truck! When all else fails, I'll leave the gun where it is and find a big parking lot where I can park away from everyone else to put the gear back on.
    Jack

a little bit of window tint goes a long way into preventing being made while in the truck. I have a single cab f150 4X4 and have to squirm around a little bit in order to get my gun back in the holster. If someone walked beside the vehicle while I was right in the middle of trying to reholster the tint would obscure their vision just enough. thats my theory anyway

And quite frankly most people are so tied up in their own little world that you could do about anything you want and not be seen!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyup
    Living in NH the only place off-limits to a CCW holder is any courthouse or building within a courthouse limit. Anyplace else is fair game. Personally, I try to keep myself in the state as much as possible s that I can carry. I very much dislike going anywhere out of state since I currently do not have permits to carry there (IE in Mass or Maine).

That being said, when I am off-duty and working my part-time job driving trucks for Tri-State, I'll remove my carry piece and leave it in my truck at my employer's house. The only reason being that I have no idea whether or not I'll end up inside MA. I don't want to get sent to MA on a pick-up and get pulled over by some bored HP or Statie looking to check my log book for the day. Carrying in MA without a permit is almost a guaranteed pass to jail. No thanks. On those days where I have to drive, I'll remove my carry piece from my holster, drop the mag and make the gun safe, then proceed to place the different pieces of the gun in different areas of my truck. Gun in one spot, mags in another, holster in another. Then I lock the truck down and set the alarm.

As crappy as it may sound, I have to try and follow the law as best I can. I do NOT need to be arrested or charged for having an "illegal" firearm in MA. My Battalion Chief and deaprtment Chief would not look to kindly on me having a record even though it's complete BS.
    Unless you fit under FOPA, just mere possession of a handgun in a vehicle in MA without a MA LTC is a felony. Just so that you are aware. You might consider getting a MA NR LTC, just to cover your butt. It requires a course and MA SP certificate (1st time only) and $100/year, but relatively cheap insurance if you absolutely have to be here.

A few months ago I was pulled over for speeding 5 over the limit. I was given a breathalizer because the police officer smelled alcohol on my breath, and I blew a .06 (well within the legal limit in MN). I did however have my taurus IB locked in the glovebox unloaded. The gun was taken from me because I was over the legal limit to carry a gun (.04). The judge claimed that the glovebox was a "locked container", and the case was dropped and my gun was given back to me.

Laws are different in each state, and it all depends on how the judge wants to interpret the law, but I thought I would share my experience in MN.

A good rule of thumb: Do not carry anytime you are going to consume alcohol. Guns and alcohol don't mix well. Stay safe!

Back on topic: I agree. Window tint helps greatly in reducing the ability for people to see you handling your pistol. Be low-key and act natural as to not attract people's attention.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

If I need to leave my gun in my truck, I remove the faceplate from the stereo. That's the number one reason around here someone will break into your car. Finding a gun or other valuables would be just a bonus.

I also hide anything else that is valuable, carton of cigarettes, wife's purse, etc.

I figure my AC Delco "jam system" isn't on the most wanted list of stereo systems. Come to think of it, my '95 4x4 probably doesn't get a second look from most thieves anyway.
    Jack

Jeez, there's just not that many places off limits here in Colorado.

Only times I have to deal with it are when I go places like the DMV (never go to any schools, don't go to clubs or other places with metal detectors, don't work for the government).

On the rare occasions where I've had to go to an "off limits" place I usually just yank my piece (with holster) out and toss it in the glove box, lock it and go about my business. I'm also usually in and out rather quickly (well as quickly as you can get in and out of the DMV).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links