Dealing w/ Offlimits Locations: Your System?

This is a discussion on Dealing w/ Offlimits Locations: Your System? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I find I have to go into OFFLIMITS locations regularly. For those staying legal do you usually unholster gun and have a special place for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing w/ Offlimits Locations: Your System?

I find I have to go into OFFLIMITS locations regularly.

For those staying legal do you usually unholster gun and have a special place for an unholstered gun, such another dedicated car holster or case - or remove holster leaving the gun holstered and then place the holstered gun where in vehicle?

Of course a lovely padded console safe would be best, but does not fit into many real lives as I know it.

Also what technique do you use to do this so those outide the vehicle do no notice?
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

DC Founder
    When I have to remove mine I put it in the map pocket on the back of the driver's seat in my truck. When I get back, I open the back door, put the gun up on the console. When I get back in the driver's seat I put it back into the holster. I always find myself doing a "Better than usual" scan of the area before I start that whole procedure to be sure nobody is close....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I always feel uneasy about leaving my carry piece in an unattended vehicle, but I'm not going to go around all day without it just becuase of one quick stop I have to make. That said, I will stick it in the trunk of my car or behind the drivers seat of my truck and return as quick as possible. Luckily, I rarely have to venture into the unsafe territorys.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly.

just about the only stop that I make is into the bank, and for that I usually do a nice sweep of the area, and then place it snuggly inbetween my driver seat and the center console, I drive a little Honda Civic so there is just enough room for my 23, the only problem I have noticed about that is at night from outside the passanger window, you can see a little bit of my night sights...but who banks that late at night anyway, without an ATM?
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast, Fast is Deadly!

Of course a lovely padded console safe would be best, but does not fit into many real lives as I know it.
    I dont understand what you mean by "but does not fit into many real lives"?

I do have a safe instaled in my truck. Its cheap and easy to install.
    http://www.wattco.net/odyssey/odysseynarcsafe.htm

Assistant Administrator
    I am just so thankful that my need to remove piece is rare in the extreme.

I have used Bumper's method once or twice.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I use various methods dependent on the area, time out of truck, etc.

For locked alternatives, try this one - my wife and I have four:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/About_...Safe_Incar.htm

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I use one of those COM type lock ups. I drive a Jeep Grand Cherrokee, and it fits perfectly under the rear seat on the passenger side. I just tip up the seat portion (two piece seats, one for you butt, the other your back) and set the case&pistol in along side of the screw jack, then return the seat pad to it's "normal" postion. I figure if stolden (doubtfull it's a 96) they most likely wouldn't think of opening the seats there. Most of the time in the "off limit" areas, they will not know that I'm carrying until TSHTF ! And as you can guess I don't use my COM much....

erh
    It's a rare place that I ever go that I need to "Tuck-away" my carry piece of the day, here in S.E. Georgia! Around here, most places accept that people "Carry"; legally is common & illegally is more common..; I'm in the first catagory. I never go to bars, & if I do have to go somewhere thats not appropriate or legal to carry; it goes in the console of my Quad Cab. I never worry about it though because about the only destination that I attend occasionally that I need to "Stow" my handgun, is on the few occasions that I have to go to the Courthouse. (Placing liens on properties, last notices before eviction, parking tickets & such..) I am now, after having been a long time SA & Tac Instructor for various Fed. branches in addition to my general LEO duties (& before that Military duties..), a General Contractor & also own several rental properties. Around the Courthouse there are too many LEO's around to worry about our MOST COMMON (meaning druggie/ thug, theif type..) locals & that lovely, lowley, always favorite "Busted Out Window Syndrome!"

(erh)

A: find some place else to do business with
    B: carry anyway, "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
    C: on those very rare incidents such as gun shows my PU has a center console, draw right with console open place gun there, slam closed with elbow.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Again I must say, even though I don't like this state (taxes, some other laws) it is (at the moment) very gun friendly as in where you can and can't carry.

I never go onto federal property (especially the court house, no need to step into that place) so I don't have to ever take off my carry piece.

When I lived in GA and had the GA CHL, I never went into bars or attended "events". The only time that I messed up was when I went into the PO in valdosta. I didn't know that the federal offices such as the FBI and SS were there. I did my business and then saw the sign on the way out (it wasn't posted on the way in) and thought... oops.

But, I am going to have a car safe installed into the truck of my car, to hold important stuff as well as the handguns if I ever do have to go into the fed court house or if I move from this state.

Wayne

Post Office is the only place I've been lately that I've had to remove my gun. I ran through a few days ago and forgot I was packing until I stepped out of the truck - had to jump back in, close the door and remove the holster... oops!

When I DO have to stow my gun, I remove the holster with it and lock them in the glovebox - a small J-frame currently so it fits in there. I don't have a console in my truck (the small Toyota 4x4 that was replaced by the Tacoma), when I start carrying the Mil-Spec I'm going to have to rethink things - no extended cab so the only access to behind the seat storage is by getting out first ... definitely not an ideal set up! Hopefully the holstered gun will fit underneath the seat or between seat and tranny hump in the cutout for the gearshift.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I also use the COM like Rock And Glock mentioned. I have it attached to my seat and rests under center arm rest of truck. Works great and very secure.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I used to have a gunvault safe in my car bolted into the trunk floor, but now I almost never have to disarm. Only time I do is when I work in RI, were I do not yet have a permit, so it goes elsewhere.

Stashing your carry piece in a car is a very risky thing to do. When I have to unholster my pistol, I lock it in the glove box. A glove box lock may be fairly easy to break, but it is much safer than the usual stash spots in a car: under the seat, in the console, in the trunk, wedged between a seat, or in a door pocket. A locked glovebox gives a theif TWO locks to penetrate. The car door and the box.

The last thing I want is some crook shooting people with a gun in my name.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links