Trip to Costco........now posted!

This is a discussion on Trip to Costco........now posted! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by torgo1968 I keep a personal list of all the places I shop that post (I'm in Ohio). Costco is one of the ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trip to Costco........now posted!

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    I keep a personal list of all the places I shop that post (I'm in Ohio). Costco is one of the very few national establishments that do so. I also got the "doesn't enhance the shopping experience" email, which is one of the most insulting loads of corporate BS I've ever read.

Here's a partial list of the national or large regional stores that don't post. Of course, Costco is right. As we all know, these establishments have turned into veritable bloodbaths:

Barnes and Noble, Borders, Boston Market, BP, Cold Stone Creamery, Crate and Barrel, Dairy Queen, Dick's Sporting Goods, Gamestop, Gander Mountain, Giant Eagle, GMC, Half Price Books, Jennifer Furniture, Keybank, Lane Bryant, Lens Crafters, Lowes, Microcenter, Panera Bread, Petco, Petsmart, Pier One Imports, Sam's Club, Starbuck's, Target, Toys R Us, Walmart, Walgreen
    Great start to a list,. We need to keep that one going.. State by state,.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    I keep a personal list of all the places I shop that post (I'm in Ohio). Costco is one of the very few national establishments that do so. I also got the "doesn't enhance the shopping experience" email, which is one of the most insulting loads of corporate BS I've ever read.

Here's a partial list of the national or large regional stores that don't post. Of course, Costco is right. As we all know, these establishments have turned into veritable bloodbaths:

Barnes and Noble, Borders, Boston Market, BP, Cold Stone Creamery, Crate and Barrel, Dairy Queen, Dick's Sporting Goods, Gamestop, Gander Mountain, Giant Eagle, GMC, Half Price Books, Jennifer Furniture, Keybank, Lane Bryant, Lens Crafters, Lowes, Microcenter, Panera Bread, Petco, Petsmart, Pier One Imports, Sam's Club, Starbuck's, Target, Toys R Us, Walmart, Walgreen
    I too am from Ohio, and am glad you posted this. I agree it is a good start to a list that I would like to see grow, and encompass all states. I'm relatively new to CC and am constantly looking for no carry signs on businesses. (They do have weight of law in Ohio).
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by helitech View Post
    Went to Costco today and BAM, a big sign at the door. "No firearms permitted" and just below it "ARS 13-3102". I was disgusted and turned around. I immediately went home to look up the Arizona revised statute. According to the statute it is still legal to carry open or concealed as long as the person is not a prohibited possesor.
    Did Costco put up the statute to give it an offficial appearance? Did they actually read the statute?
    Time to get the Sams membership.

Format Document
    ARS 13-3102

Arizona Department of Public Safety-Concealed Weapons Permit Unit
    I entered a private business with my concealed handgun and CCW permit. The business did not have any signs posted prohibiting weapons. Shortly thereafter, an employee approached me and said they do not allow firearms in their business and I must take the gun off the premises. Can they do that? Yes. Arizona law permits private business owners (or their designates) to prohibit weapons from being brought onto their property, whether signs are posted or not. Private businesses are typically non-government operated businesses such as grocery and department stores, convenience stores, laundromats, banks, office complexes, etc. Failure to obey the request can result in your arrest for trespassing. (ARS 13-1502/1503)

Metro Phoenix: (602) 256-6280
    Outside Metro Phoenix: (800) 256-6280
    Fax: (602) 223-2928

Updated 11/03/2008

My Cosco dose not have a sign. maybe the manager is anti gun. Try a letter to the main office.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    While shopping in Omaha, NE the Costco is posted---no CCW, but Sam's club is not, guess who gets my business. Have not went past the front door of Costco after seeing the dreaded sign.

Z
    You should take a few minutes and inform someone at corporate of that and why. May not do anything but it can't hurt.

Someone posting a sign will NOT get any of my money.
    Just another great thing about FL...few, if any signs...I've never seen one...and they mean absolutely nothing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I too am from Ohio, and am glad you posted this. I agree it is a good start to a list that I would like to see grow, and encompass all states. I'm relatively new to CC and am constantly looking for no carry signs on businesses. (They do have weight of law in Ohio).
    The Ohioans for CCW website has a database of businesses that post, though I find it a bit unwieldy to use, so I just keep my own. Just keep a notepad in your car and a text file on your desktop on your computer. Once you've got a decent list on the notepad, transfer it to the computer, print it out and keep it in the car. Any additions you can add on that list, update on the computer, re-print, etc.

Why not go in and speak to the store's manager about the issue--let him/her know that they will be losing the business of legal CCW folks if they continue with the posting.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    ---Humor-ON---

What you said:

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Why not go in and speak to the store's manager about the issue--let him/her know that they will be losing the business of legal CCW folks if they continue with the posting.
    What the Manager heard (at least in California):

Me and all my gun-toting friends, who are probably mentally unstable, militia forming rednecks, or worse, homocidal maniacs, will no longer be potentially terrorizing your other customers.

---Humor OFF---
    Seriously, the point to all of this is know what the law allows you to do. BTW, I'll be checking my local Costco next time I need 4000 rolls of TP, 55 gal of Olive Oil and all the free samples I can eat. : )
    Last edited by PastorPack; May 28th, 2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: forgot something
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    Outstanding helitech!

No, I don't believe it's corporate policy either... we have two COSTCOs here, the older one is not posted and the newer one is.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Here is the letter I sent in a Word document, looks better.
    I will post response.
    Attached Files

Very nicely done. I'd love to see her reply.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links