Defensive Carry banner

Is there ANY gun I can take to NY???

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  semperfi.45 
#1 ·
Looking for some info- I am originally from NY- western NY no where near NYC. Actually only about 20 miles in from PA border. I can carry in every state until NY. I have avoided NY like the plague but since I have a 20 yo son who is living there right now as well as other family I am going to have to suck it up and make a visit this summer sometime. I know there is no way I can take a handgun to NY, but in reading their statutes it looks like maybe certain shotguns would be ok in vehicle, uloaded? My issue is not so much the there, it's the fact I will be driving there from NC with my 3 other children by myself. I'd like to have something if it's legal. Of course, I will also need to check the other states I will have to go through, but I know NY will be the worst. The rest will be WV, VA, PA.

#3 ·
It appears you would be alright with a shotgun in Virginia. Taken from the VSP website:

§ 15.2-1209.1. Counties may regulate carrying of loaded firearms on public highways.

The governing body of any county is hereby empowered to adopt ordinances making it unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession, for the purpose of hunting, while on any part of a public highway within such county a loaded firearm when such person is not authorized to hunt on the private property on both sides of the highway along which he is standing or walking; and to provide a penalty for violation of such ordinance not to exceed a fine of $100. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles or for purposes other than hunting, or to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-272; 1975, cc. 14, 15, § 18.2-287; 2004, c. 462; 2007, c. 203.)

#4 ·
I run into the same issue when going up to visit family a little ways north up the 219. Basically, you can ether find a place near the PA / PRNY boarder to stash it and be prey for criminals or be a felon and become prey for the criminals that run that state. It truly is a no win situation. The state line sign sign should say 'Welcome to New York if the criminals don't get you we will' instead of 'The Empire State'

#9 ·
Here are the NY State laws:
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

Here are the NYC laws:
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYCCL.pdf

NON-RESIDENTS

It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or
transport a handgun in or through the state unless he
has a valid New York license. (A provision of federal law
provides a defense to state or local laws which would
prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate
travel if the person is traveling from any place where he
may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other
place where he may lawfully possess and transport such
firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In
vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in
a locked container other than the glove compartment or
console).
A member or coach of an accredited college or
university target pistol team may transport a handgun
into or through New York to participate in a collegiate,
Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided
that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked
carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate
locked container.
Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through
New York State with handguns for the purposes of any
NRA approved competition or IHMSA sanctioned match,
within 48 hours of the competition, if the competitor has
in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of
entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The
handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked
opaque container. This provision does not apply in NY
cities not wholly contained within a single county or to
people with felony convictions.
Possession of firearms by a person who is a nonresident
of this state is lawful while attending or traveling to or
from an organized convention or exhibition approved by
the NRA, and in which the nonresident is a registered
participant within forty-eight hours of such event,
provided that the nonresident has not been previously
convicted of a felony and further provided that the
firearms are transported unloaded in a locked opaque
container together with a copy of the convention or
exhibition program, convention or exhibition schedule or
convention or exhibition registration card. This provision
does not apply in NY cities not wholly contained within
a single county.
A non-immigrant alien may possess a rifle or shotgun
for use while hunting provided he has a valid hunting
license issued by New York State and an approved gun
import form from the BATFE.
Here is the NRA-ILA State's listing.
NRA-ILA ::

It sounds like you are between a Rock and a hard place on theis one.

#11 ·
PurpleDragon said he will be traveling up Rt-219, that road leads to BUFFALO..............

the OTHER END OF NEW YORK STATE.

Sheesh, why is it everytime people see the words *NEW YORK STATE* the only thing anyone can think of is New York City? :aargh4:

Most residents of NY, would love to see "the city" fall into Long Island Sound, or secede from the rest of the state as 'the city' is a huge drain on my tax dollars.

Beside Mayor Adolf Bloomberg is a flaming anti-gun liberal that believes his personal beliefs are what EVERYONE wants regardless of what the people actually want. :saevil::eek:mfg:

#13 ·
Why not find a gun shop near the border in PA and drop off your travel gun for a "cleaning" while you are in NY, then pick it up on the way back? Totally legal and should cost you less than $20. You also won't be as limited while you are on the road. You'll just have to get by in NY state with an alternative weapon. Maybe some OC and a tactical flashlight?

#15 ·
Yes, I am going to my hometown which is about halfway between Erie PA and Buffalo. I am going to look into gun shops in Erie PA to possibly do as Superhouse suggested as that is an excellent idea.

#19 ·
I talked to a couple of former LEO, they both claim that they have a Federal Firearms License, there is some "new law" that allows them to carry IN NYC, regardless what NYS law says or claims.

Is there any truth to this "law" as far as I know, NO ONE is allowed to carry in NYC without a city permit

I believe they mentioned Federal Law 218, or something like that???

#20 ·
The guy is referring to the LEOSHA Federal law HR-218. It allows all active and retired LEO that is in good standing and that are adhering to all state laws to be able to CCW in ANY state without a permit. Civilians can possess firearms in NYC. Any law abiding civilian can apply for a pistol permit(premise,business,security,full carry), but full carry is very,very rare. Less then 2% of civilians have full carry permits. All active NY State or local LEO or Federal LEO can carry anywhere in NYS including NYC without a permit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.