How to convince Family Member their conceal carry is inappropiate

This is a discussion on How to convince Family Member their conceal carry is inappropiate within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ppkheat Maybe it would be helpful for them to look/read a little on DC here. Maybe it would be helpfull for the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to convince Family Member their conceal carry is inappropiate

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Maybe it would be helpful for them to look/read a little on DC here.
    Maybe it would be helpfull for the OP to take a look around on opencarry.org. Some one has to shine the light and let the world know that normal law abiding people own and carry guns or our rights will wither and die. If we can appropriatly champion our cause than the last few hold out states will go shall-issue and decriminalize open carry.-Jay
    "The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Question

Whoa people, we are talking about gun hating New York here.

To: The Original Poster

How did they possibly get a concealed carry permit, except to and from the range, or for hunting???

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Maybe it would be helpful for them to look/read a little on DC here.
    +1
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

I agree with pointing them to this site. Make it as positive (i.e. non-confrontational) as possible. If you have already talked to them about how they carry/tell people they carry then I would also make sure you mention this site in a completely different conversation, to avoid them feeling like you are pressing your opinion on them.

It sounds like they are excited to be able to carry. I'd just tell them, "Hey, I found this really cool site that talks about being armed/being prepared, you should check it out." Maybe email them a link. If they come and start reading, they can't help but get a little better educated.

That being said, I don't have a problem with someone telling people they have a permit/carry a gun, etc. For the longest time, I kept my status secret.

I had quite a few reasons, from avoiding the "Do something, you've got a gun" issues to the disgruntled acquaintance reporting "man with a gun" against me because he knows and wants to cause trouble.

Then my name/address were published (along with thousands of others) by an anti-gun "reporter" and a co-worker asked me about it. He had recently gotten his permit and was curious if his name was in it, but it wasn't since his permit was pretty new. He then got to searching people he knew, just for fun, and found me. Since you can't be "just a little bit pregnant", I made the decision right then to switch my method and now I tell anyone that seems to be genuinely curious. If they are hostile about it, then I divert the question with varying levels of flippant and sarcastic answers, depending on who they are.

Now quite a few people know I carry. At least five of those people have gone and gotten their permits, partly because we talked. It's possible that others have as well, but haven't come back to tell me. They asked me my opinion on different holsters, guns, etc. and I did my best to answer, plus pointed them to here. From what they have said, they all carry regularly. One of them talks about it regularly, the other four are much more secretive. I have warned all of them about the risks of telling people, even told the story of the off-duty police officer who walks in to his corner convenience store that was being robbed and the clerk, who knew he was a cop, yelled out that he was a cop, help us, which of course caused the bad guy to shoot him. It's a risk, but everything we do in life is some sort of risk.

I have carefully considered the risks and have accepted some of them and mitigated others. I don't expect everyone to agree with me on what risks I'm willing to accept and/or how I mitigate others, but I do expect them to be polite and tolerant with me.

Original Poster

Wow, what a response.

To answer some of the assumptions and questions.

1) No they are not in NY. They are in CT.

2) sigmanluke: Great assumption. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't care. Thank you for reading into that.

3) The sugestion to point them to this web site forum. Great Idea. Should have thought of that myself.

I guess I was not very explicit in my original post. I also see that maybe since they are new to cary, I could see their excitment. It just worries me the way their Pieces are displayed while carrying.

One just takes the weapon and places it in their rear waistband. Grips exposed for everybody to see. (Almost saying try me) Then always seems a need to remove weapon, place on table to retuck their shirt in. Then replace weapon in waist band. Is this normal?

I worry that when they are out shopping, the way they carry someone will try them or if they walk into that quick mart being robbed, they are shot because they were exposed.

I just worry about them.

Yes I will point them to this site to see if it helps.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    "One just takes the weapon and places it in their rear waistband. Grips exposed for everybody to see. (Almost saying try me) Then always seems a need to remove weapon, place on table to retuck their shirt in."

First things first: Tell him to get a proper holster!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Redsox View Post
    My Sister, Brother-in-law and nephew have CCP. Unfortunently they do not seem to understand what conceal means. They appear to be under the impression that since they have the permit, they should flaunt it. They go so far as to tell everybody that asks, "We even pack in Church"

Now i understand the right to carry, but I believe one should carry with as little notice as possible.

Need advice on how to educate these relatives.
    All you can do is tell them how you feel. That's all you can do.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

One just takes the weapon and places it in their rear waistband. Grips exposed for everybody to see. (Almost saying try me) Then always seems a need to remove weapon, place on table to retuck their shirt in. Then replace weapon in waist band. Is this normal?
    No, that is not normal and it is idiotic on multiple levels. As was already mentioned, a gun should be carried in a safe holster. I'm sure you can think of lots of possibilities when it comes to criminal scenarios where a gun in the small of the back and no holster could mean disaster. On top of all of that, this person appears to be carrying for all the wrong reasons. They are showing off. They are Sarah Brady's wet dream come true. They are the exact idiotic stereotype that we are trying to fight, the knucklehead gun owner who thinks he's big and bad because he's strapped.

Of course, he has the right to carry for the wrong reasons, but he is putting himself and others at risk and potentially giving the anti-gunners fodder for propaganda.

When I started carrying, I told my wife that I didn't want her to out and out tell any of our friends about it. If it came up, fine, but I wasn't going to bring it up and I didn't want her to. Why? Because they didn't need to know. I didn't start carrying to impress anyone. I don't carry to make a political statement. I don't carry to compensate for self-esteem issues. I carry to protect myself and my wife. Period.

Put your tinfoil hat on and explain the hazards of advertising carrying a gun. The targeting of their homes, vehicles, and families. The thought that someone may start something to risk getting shot at just to sue the pants off of them. The rumors that will spread like wildfire within and then out of their circle of friends.

All you can do is talk with them then let them decide, don't make a ginormous deal of it.

One more thing, if you CC ask them not to include you when they are bragging.

And of course a few visits to this forum and others like it could educate them-hopefully.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    When I started carrying, I told my wife that I didn't want her to out and out tell any of our friends about it. If it came up, fine, but I wasn't going to bring it up and I didn't want her to. Why? Because they didn't need to know. I didn't start carrying to impress anyone. I don't carry to make a political statement. I don't carry to compensate for self-esteem issues. I carry to protect myself and my wife. Period.
    Amen.

You know them and how responsive they might be to direct talk.
    I would attempt to explain potential problems they are facing. If they are not receptive...drop it, and I would not hang with them for 'nights out'.

Stay armed...can't fix stupid...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    One potential problem, which could lead to their arrest, depends entirely on CT's definition of things like intentional display, brandishing, printing, disorderly conduct; and whether or not CT permits or otherwise allows open carry---which I doubt but I couldn't find out with quick research.

If these folks are being that open about it they are more than likely (my guess, I don't know) not in compliance with CT's law.

If I am correct that CT doesn't allow open carry, and they are indeed intentionally displaying the handle through SOB carry, they are going to get themselves in serious doo.

WOW!!! Some of these replies are pretty DEEP! I had no idea that a degree is Psychology was a prerequisite for this site!!!

J/K!!!

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

DID YOU KNOW: 89.3% of all quoted statistics are fabricated

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Connecticut

Connecticut

Summary
    Connecticut is not a traditional open carry state. Outside of your own residence or place of business, a permit is required to carry. The permit that Connecticut issues is a carry permit, not a concealed carry permit, so open carry IS legal with a permit.

CT is an open carry state, so letting the firearm show is not violating the law.

But the way you describe this guy's gun handling; WOW! I would worry more about his safety with the gun.

IMHO, he is putting everyone around him at risk. To me, the question of whether you offend him or not is irrelevant. I would let him know in no uncertain terms that this is unacceptable.

Maybe you could point him toward a qualified instructor.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links