How to convince Family Member their conceal carry is inappropiate

This is a discussion on How to convince Family Member their conceal carry is inappropiate within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Sister, Brother-in-law and nephew have CCP. Unfortunently they do not seem to understand what conceal means. They appear to be under the impression that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to convince Family Member their conceal carry is inappropiate

How to convince Family Member their conceal carry is inappropiate

My Sister, Brother-in-law and nephew have CCP. Unfortunently they do not seem to understand what conceal means. They appear to be under the impression that since they have the permit, they should flaunt it. They go so far as to tell everybody that asks, "We even pack in Church"

Now i understand the right to carry, but I believe one should carry with as little notice as possible.

Need advice on how to educate these relatives.
    Last edited by Sgt Redsox; May 27th, 2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typos

2. Remove Ads

Why do you feel the need to educate them? Some people don't hide their CC. Many others do not discuss it. Let them be, is my opinion.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Share your thoughts with them in a non-confrontational manner, then step back and respect their rights to do as they choose; even if you personally feel different.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Why do you feel the need to educate them? Some people don't hide their CC. Many others do not discuss it. Let them be, is my opinion.
    I would assume that he cares for them and doesn't want them to be the first targets of some madman who chooses to shoot up the place while they are there.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Maybe it would be helpful for them to look/read a little on DC here.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Probably no way that you can approach it directly without offense, try covert ops.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Let them figure it out for themselves. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who want to flaunt the fact that they carry a gun concealed, but that sort of defeats the purpose of concealed. I made the mistake of telling all my friends that I carry a gun, and all but one accepted it, then I found out that it was state law to inform a home owner that you are carrying prior to entering their dwelling, so I would have had to tell them anyway.

You can try to talk some sense into them about what concealed means, but in the end they have to either choose to accept it or go on flaunting their new found "power."
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    +1 Good idea... Point them to DC

Some people have to show and tell . There's not too much you can do to change them. Sooner or later they will find them selves in a very embarrassing situation. You might suggest that they take courses in safety and how to handle a hand gun. Maybe The instructor can get through to them.

VIP Member

It all depends

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Redsox View Post
    My Sister, Brother-in-law and nephew have CCP. Unfortunently they do not seem to understand what conceal means. They appear to be under the impression that since they have the permit, they should flaunt it. They go so far as to tell everybody that asks, "We even pack in Church"

Now i understand the right to carry, but I believe one should carry with as little notice as possible.

Need advice on how to educate these relatives.
    I assume they are in NY too, and that no open carry is involved? If that is correct, you might just gently tell them that many people feel it isn't wise to brag about it and doing so could make them a target.

If they are breaking a NY law by "flaunting it" in a manner inconsistent with NY law (open carry or improper concealment), then by all means, let them know for their own self-preservation.

I must add that at the start, I too did a bit too much braggin. The urge to tell others wears off with time. I know better now, but didn't then.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I would assume that he cares for them and doesn't want them to be the first targets of some madman who chooses to shoot up the place while they are there.
    No evidence supports the above statement . . . and, granted, the opposing perspective.

Sgt Redsox: If you are bothered by their actions, first ask yourself why you are bothered. Is it that their actions are bordering on brandishing a weapon? Is it that you think all carrying should be deeply concealed (i.e., no printing whatsoever, no mentioning a gun to anyone, etc.)? Or, is it that you may partially believe that carrying a gun is really not a good thing to do . . . therefore, we should be as covert about it as possible?

Just somethings to think about.

Reg

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Redsox View Post
    ... but I believe one should carry with as little notice as possible.
    That's your personal belief and opinion.

The question is: what are the legal requirements for concealment, where they live?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    It's not abnormal for new carriers to be really excited and flaunt thier status. I would be frank with them and say "hey, you cannot be telling people about your carrying status because it could make you a primary target" or "it makes me uncomfortable when you reveal your carry status to people"

Point them to DC.com and hopefully they will learn half of what I have and maybe even have somthing positive to offer.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

If you must get involved I'd tell them that from what you have read tactically it's not a good idea to advertise you carry. That's the main reason I don't OC on a regular basis but I respect a person's right to choose for themselves.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links