Traffic Stop... - Page 2

Traffic Stop...

This is a discussion on Traffic Stop... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by KenInColo 75 in a 55; that's not accidental . Here in Colo, I know of some counties where you would get your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traffic Stop...

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    75 in a 55; that's not accidental.

Here in Colo, I know of some counties where you would get your CCW revoked for such a blatant disregard of the speed limit.
    I agree with you Ken about the first part...... 75 in a 55 zone is flying, as for as getting a ticket is concerned.

I've never heard to the second part...... Which Colorado counties would revoked your license for speeding? Pls PM me if you wish.... Thanks....

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    For those of you that have a Concealed Weapons Permit, or whatever it's called in your area, it's not a "Get Out of Jail Free" Card.

I do not expect any "courtesy" when I show my creds, nor should you. If it is given, that's a choice the officer makes, but should never be expected, nor IMO, asked for.
    I agree absolutely. I would prefer that the officer, if he/she is so inclined to give me a break, does so because he/she felt as though I deserved it or simply because he/she was feeling generous ... not because I had a concealed carry permit. It's favoritism of the worst kind.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    I agree with you Ken about the first part...... 75 in a 55 zone is flying, as for as getting a ticket is concerned.

I've never heard to the second part...... Which Colorado counties would revoked your license for speeding? Pls PM me if you wish.... Thanks....

I heard about this from a Boulder county LEO.

The Sheriffs in three different counties, Boulder, Weld & Larimer, have revoked the CHLs of motorists for really excessive speed limit violations (20 mph or more). The worst example was a guy in Boulder county doing 65 in a 25; it was a school zone too. The sheriff, a pro 2A, pro CCW LEO, felt that such a blatant violation showed that the motorist had no regard for the the law & hence was not mature enough to carry a concealed handgun. I don't know whether the motorist challenged the sheriff's decision.

There is no state law regarding speeding & CHLs; I just think it was the particular sheriff's own judgment.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

In my experence the LEO will have me keep my hands on the wheel or dash while he is talking to me. Well, this only happened once since I try not to speed. It was just for his safty and I dont have a problem with it. He did ask where my gun was and I told him it was on my hip. He probably just did that cause I am a scarry looking fellow or something...

only now you will have a moving violation on your license which will probley get your auto insurance raised, ( not good )

Some of the comments from LEOs make me chuckle. Around here they are some of the worst offenders for not stopping, not using turn signals, yapping on their cell phones and yes speeding. I really don't care if they do it, just don't be a hypocrite and give me a ticket for doing the same thing. The laws apply to you too.

And 20mph over in many instances is perfectly safe, most of the speed limits are ridiculously low and arbitrary; written 40 years ago before better roads, stability control, ABS, HID/halogen headlights, airbags and dozens of other advances.

/rant
    M&P 9 and 9c
    Ruger LCP
    Remington 810 20 gauge

I haven't been pulled over since getting the permit -- hope I have an experience like your's when the inevitable comes...
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreal21 View Post
    I got pulled over recently for the first time in years, and the first time since getting my CCP. I had my foot into it a little going up a long hill and really didn't notice when I crested the hill and started down. I rarely ever go more than ~9 over, but I got clocked at +14 (79 in a 65).

I informed him that I had a permit and that my handgun was in the driver's side door map pocket (not the best place, but I hadn't gotten a real carry rig yet). I can't stand driving distance with my wallet in my pocket... it makes my butt fall asleep... so it was on the floor by the door. I told him that and opened the door to get my wallet and showed him where my Kahr was stashed. He took my license and CCP and returned a bit later with the ticket. The handgun was never an issue. Very polite and professional
    Was that UHP? There are some great hills on I-15 in Central Utah aren't there.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Although I am NOT an RN, nor do I play one on TV, I just assumed that RN's always avoided a ticket once they produced their hospital ID to the officer.

Professional courtesty, and the fear that one day the officer just might meet that RN while injured.
    That's funny. My wife used to work in the ER and as long as she was wearing her hospital ID she NEVER got a ticket. Maybe I need a new career in healthcare?
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

I've never given anyone grief about having a legal firearm. Well, I might rib 'em for having it in the console or glove compartment and not where they can get to it quickly. That usually freaked them out.

A friend o'mine used to run a gunshop locally. He was a class 3 dealer so he had all the good toys. I agreed to ride with him one day to meet with a suppressor designer he wanted to distribute for. We were also going to drop by a gun-show in ... Montgomery, I think? Anyway, Mr. Leadfoot gets us pulled over by an AL State Trooper. Trooper does the passenger-side approach. My friend's truck had big magnetic signs on both front doors of his truck with his gunshop name and all. I was in the passenger seat, right ankle propped on left knee. I knew what the trooper was going to ask and dreaded the response.
    Trooper asks "Are there any weapons in this vehicle?"
    My friend responds, with a glace at me and a heavy sigh: "I have a .40 Glock on my right hip and a .32 in my pocket; there are three M16s in the back, two with suppressors."
    I chime in: "I have a .45 on my left hip, a 9mm Glock on my right ankle ... oh, and there's a suppressed Beretta 9mm in a case by my foot.
    The trooper sneered and was actually mouthing "Smart A--es" when his light hit upon the case by my foot (partially opened, butt of the pistol visible), the three M16s in the back seat ...
    I quickly added, "I'm law enforcement," as I opened my badge wallet I'd taken out when he got behind us, anticipating this moment. I pointed to Mr. Leadfoot and said, "He's NOT!"
    Leadfoot: "Gee, THANKS! [mutter, mutter]" He had his paperwork with him, of course, so he was able to show all was legal.
    We all had a good laugh about it. The trooper wrote him a warning. Seems our little run-in, as amusing as it was, removed any complacency he might have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Although I am NOT an RN, nor do I play one on TV, I just assumed that RN's always avoided a ticket once they produced their hospital ID to the officer.

Professional courtesty, and the fear that one day the officer just might meet that RN while injured.
    Don't let the RN behind my name fool you.

Yes, I followed a gal in to Nursing Class trying to get a date. I left with a degree and a wife too. However, you may want to reassess what I do for a living, as I don't do much nursing.

I carry creds and a gun and have arrest powers. The RN behind my name is real and I even sat for the NCLEX. It's just that sometimes what one does for a living isn't what they went to school for.

Biker

Don't let the RN behind my name fool you. [...]
    However, you may want to reassess what I do for a living, as I don't do much nursing.
    I'm still mystified about what the "RN" means in your "forum name".

I carry creds and a gun and have arrest powers.
    This brought up some issues I've always been unclear about: exactly what is the difference between "citizen's arrest" and the "arrest power" possessed by a sworn LEO?

I suspect that the difference is primarily about the criteria that make the two types of arrests lawfully justified. And I also suspect that what the law says about citizen's arrest probably varies from state to state.

Anyone know anything about these issues?

Mike Fontenot

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Was that UHP? There are some great hills on I-15 in Central Utah aren't there.
    I wish. I know many of the UHP that patrol the central region. This was a Beaver County deputy... he pulled me over just a few miles north of Beaver.

Don't let the RN behind my name fool you.

Yes, I followed a gal in to Nursing Class trying to get a date. I left with a degree and a wife too. However, you may want to reassess what I do for a living, as I don't do much nursing.

I carry creds and a gun and have arrest powers. The RN behind my name is real and I even sat for the NCLEX. It's just that sometimes what one does for a living isn't what they went to school for.

Biker
    Ain't that so!

I'm a LEO AND a respiratory therapist. When I'm working in the hospital I carry my ID and a gun, when I'm on patrol I'll occasionally offer health and smoking cessation advice to my "customers".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links