Traffic Stop...

This is a discussion on Traffic Stop... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So Sunday afternoon I am cruising along a back country road and realize I am speeding and LEO is coming in the other direction. Tap ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Stop...

Traffic Stop...

So Sunday afternoon I am cruising along a back country road and realize I am speeding and LEO is coming in the other direction. Tap the breaks but it's too late , he turns around and lights me up. I pull over and the following exchange takes place.

LEO: I pulled you over for doing 75 in a 55mph zone.
    Me: Yes sir (as I hand him my DL and CCP. I don't have to in AL but did as a courtesy).
    LEO: Do you have proof of insurance?
    Me: Yes sir. (as I search for and hand him my insurance card)
    LEO: Sit tight (as he hands me my insurance card and CCP)

The LEO fills out my ticket, returns to the car, hands me my license and explains procedure for paying/contesting ticket.

LEO: Slow it down ok.
    Me: Yes sir.

He never batted an eyelash or asked about the CCP. In my opinion that's the way it should be. He was very professional and no-nonsense.

Kinda pissed that I got a ticket, but that's my fault not his.

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Glad you had a good experience.

The same thing happened to me last summer. I gave to LEO my CHL and my other required documents, and he even started asking me about what type of pistol do I carry. For a second I thought I was going to get out of the ticket because of our great conversation, but he came back with a ticket anyways.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    Glad you had a good experience.

The same thing happened to me last summer. I gave to LEO my CHL and my other required documents, and he even started asking me about what type of pistol do I carry. For a second I thought I was going to get out of the ticket because of our great conversation, but he came back with a ticket anyways.

I was hoping my offering up the CCP would help get me out of the tix also, but to no avail! haha
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

For those of you that have a Concealed Weapons Permit, or whatever it's called in your area, it's not a "Get Out of Jail Free" Card.

I do not expect any "courtesy" when I show my creds, nor should you. If it is given, that's a choice the officer makes, but should never be expected, nor IMO, asked for. The only reason I show my creds is because I'm also carrying firearms, and I don't want any officer to be alarmed that I have a gun or three on me.

This stop went the way they should all go, IMHO. Now slow it down and obey the laws of the road.

Biker

VIP Member
    That's how most stops go... glad to hear you weren't the exception!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    I was hoping my offering up the CCP would help get me out of the tix also, but to no avail! haha
    sometimes it works, but going 20 mph over speed limit will always get a ticket from me.
    Save a Greyhound. Adopt one.

75 in a 55; that's not accidental.

Here in Colo, I know of some counties where you would get your CCW revoked for such a blatant disregard of the speed limit.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    At 20 over......I'd write the citation too, even if I was interested enough to ask what you carry.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

In Missouri, we are not required to declare, but............

Last December, I was pulled over for 38 in a 25 mph zone. I gave the LEO my license, but not the MO ID with the CCW endorsement ( it still shows up when he runs my drivers license ). He came back with the statement "You're not the kind of person we are after". Did the CCW endorsement cause that? I'd like to think so. He let me off with a warning, and let me go on my way. All told, it was a pleasant experience, and he was very professional. Just the way it should be.

I'm sorry you ended up with a ticket, but it sure seems like most LEO's are getting more and more supportive of us.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Good interaction. I don't think too many folks will look the other way on 20 over.

20 over? Geez man. I get nervous if I hit 10 over.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    So Sunday afternoon I am cruising along a back country road and realize I am speeding and LEO is coming in the other direction. Tap the breaks but it's too late , he turns around and lights me up. I pull over and the following exchange takes place.

LEO: I pulled you over for doing 75 in a 55mph zone.
    Me: Yes sir (as I hand him my DL and CCP. I don't have to in AL but did as a courtesy).
    LEO: Do you have proof of insurance?
    Me: Yes sir. (as I search for and hand him my insurance card)
    LEO: Sit tight (as he hands me my insurance card and CCP)

The LEO fills out my ticket, returns to the car, hands me my license and explains procedure for paying/contesting ticket.

LEO: Slow it down ok.
    Me: Yes sir.

He never batted an eyelash or asked about the CCP. In my opinion that's the way it should be. He was very professional and no-nonsense.

Kinda pissed that I got a ticket, but that's my fault not his.

MT
    Good to hear the experience was positive, other than the speeding violation.

You did the courteous thing by presenting your permit and he responded the right way. Unfortunately, not all officers are going to do that. The only course of action is to comply with the officer's wishes at all times.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

I got pulled over recently for the first time in years, and the first time since getting my CCP. I had my foot into it a little going up a long hill and really didn't notice when I crested the hill and started down. I rarely ever go more than ~9 over, but I got clocked at +14 (79 in a 65).

I informed him that I had a permit and that my handgun was in the driver's side door map pocket (not the best place, but I hadn't gotten a real carry rig yet). I can't stand driving distance with my wallet in my pocket... it makes my butt fall asleep... so it was on the floor by the door. I told him that and opened the door to get my wallet and showed him where my Kahr was stashed. He took my license and CCP and returned a bit later with the ticket. The handgun was never an issue. Very polite and professional

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    For those of you that have a Concealed Weapons Permit, or whatever it's called in your area, it's not a "Get Out of Jail Free" Card.

I do not expect any "courtesy" when I show my creds, nor should you. If it is given, that's a choice the officer makes, but should never be expected, nor IMO, asked for. The only reason I show my creds is because I'm also carrying firearms, and I don't want any officer to be alarmed that I have a gun or three on me.

This stop went the way they should all go, IMHO. Now slow it down and obey the laws of the road.

Biker
    Although I am NOT an RN, nor do I play one on TV, I just assumed that RN's always avoided a ticket once they produced their hospital ID to the officer.

Professional courtesty, and the fear that one day the officer just might meet that RN while injured.

Glad to hear that CCW'er was treated fairly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links