Petite

This is a discussion on Petite within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check out a glock 26. Its a 9mm and is more compact than the 19. It comes with a second mag that has an extension ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petite

Check out a glock 26. Its a 9mm and is more compact than the 19. It comes with a second mag that has an extension so your pinky fits around the grip too. It will be easier to handle than some of these tiny 380s. I shot a Ruger LCP and its not a gun you would enjoy shooting or practicing with. If you want a 380 I am patial to the sig232 which is compact but still comfortable to shoot and its super reliable and accurate.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson –

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As subjective as your question is, so are the answers you’re likely to receive.

Take a trip to the gun shop and see if they have an indoor range with rentals you can try out. Its important to first choose a gun you can fire reasonably well. As a small person, you will need to assess your priorities and make adjustments to your dress code, etc. I know because I’m on the smaller side as a man, so I have to choose carefully for the same reasons.

BTW: There are purses that are specifically designed with a special compartment for a gun. Unfortunately, these are rather conservative looking' and may not fit your younger life-style. Still, there are dozens of options so take your time and experiment.
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; May 29th, 2009 at 08:17 AM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Rent/borrow a bunch if you can. Just remember as you go down in size/weight, felt recoil increases - it's a balancing act. If the recoil is too much, you won't practice like you should.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Cornered Cat - What Gun for a Woman?

Welcome from CT.

Check out this site, it is geared towards the Ladies.
    I second and recommend Cornered Cat wholeheartedly for a getting a womans point of view.

I too am on the petite side (5'3" and typical "mom curves") and have fairly small hands and I carry a Bersa .380 in a DeSantis 3-slot OWB usually right on the hip or just slightly forward. The advantage, I find, with the 3-slot holster is the ability to vary the cant from straight up and down to a slight forward tilt depending on how my belt is threaded through it. On my figure being able to vary the cant often helps with concealment under different style tops and blouses.
    As for my Bersa, I love it! As other have quite rightly mentioned, go to your local range and spend some time checking out various pistols to see just what you're comfortable with. Believe me, when you wrap your hand around the one that's ment for you, you'll know it!

Good luck with your search and have fun trying everything out!
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wife07Mom09 View Post
    By small I ment the handle is thiner than regular for my small hands
    I am a guy, six feet tall, and I wear medium-sized to large-sized gloves. A double-stack Glock's grip area is too big for my hands. I can manage, but I switched to a SIG P229 largely because I can get a better grip on it. I was mostly gripping the Glocks with just my middle finger; my ring and pinky fingers were contributing little to gripping or controlling the Glock. No matter how short the grip frame, Glocks are still chunky beasts. I have not handled an auto M&P, so don't know about them. Just my $0.02; we all have different hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    As subjective as your question is, so are the answers you’re likely to receive.

Take a trip to the gun shop and see if they have an indoor range with rentals you can try out. Its important to first choose a gun you can fire reasonably well. As a small person, you will need to assess your priorities and make adjustments to your dress code, etc. I know because I’m on the smaller side as a man, so I have to choose carefully for the same reasons.

BTW: There are purses that are specifically designed with a special compartment for a gun. Unfortunately, these are rather conservative looking and may not fit your younger life-style. Still, there are dozens of options so take your time and experiment.
    Regards,

+1 That's what I would recomend..

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Check out the 1911 style pistols- they are all single stack. They make some smaller ones that are suitable for concealed carry. Kimber comes to mind.
    My 5'4" wife walked in to the gun store, looked a few, held a couple, then saw the Kimber Ultra Aegis II in 9mm on display. She picked it up, racked the slide, pointed it, dry-fired it once and said, "This is MY gun."

I agree with those who have suggested trying out a Kahr P9 or CW9. The CW9 is the same gun as the P9 with a few less bells and whistles, and can be had for a good deal less money. Single stack magazine 7 + 1, double action only, so it has no external safety to stick out and catch on anything, and very concealable. I'm 6' and 250, but I figured if I could find a smaller gun in the caliber I wanted that I could shoot well and that was reliable, so much the better. Good luck in your search. I'm sure you'll find the gun that's right for you.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

The Walther PPS is another good 9mm option - very slim both in the grip and overall. Be careful of all these recommendations on a .380; even though the bullet is small, the gun is as well. Makes them very 'snappy' to shoot - easy to carry, painful to fire. Ditto the advice about finding a range w. a good rental selection (or look into hooking up with a local gun club/group) to be able to test-fire a variety of firearms & calibers.

Definitely read the cornered cat website - excellent information and well presented.

Eat 3 Big Macs a day, Supersize your fries, and add in 3 servings of Red Beans and Rice daily, along with all the chips and cheese dip you can handle, wash down with gallons of Coke and you won't have this "I'm a small woman" problem no more, at least not width wise.

As far as being tiny and carrying, I have a friend with the same problem, about 4'10 and puny, she carries a Kahr and started wearing bigger shirts. There's just not much room to hide anything larger on her. Good luck, I hope that you find what you're looking for.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    My 5'4" wife walked in to the gun store, looked a few, held a couple, then saw the Kimber Ultra Aegis II in 9mm on display. She picked it up, racked the slide, pointed it, dry-fired it once and said, "This is MY gun."
    The Springfiled EMP might make a good choice also.

For a thin grip, look at Walther PPS. Glock might be a bit thick for a small hand.
    For small,thin and lightweight, look a Ruger LCP or the Keltec 380. Small guns will require some getting used to and practice, as although they are easy to carry, it takes some skill to be able to shoot them accurately. They are not a good choice for a new shooter.

I would go with a small revolver in .38 spl or even .32 mag. It should fit your hands and be very simple yet reliable to use.

Go to the range and shoot some...

My mom just got her ccw and wanted to find something to fit her. We went to the range and the range master let her try a 9mm and 380 since she wanted a Auto... She shot both the Sig P239 and P232 and loved both. She ended up with the P232 just because it is a little smaller, lighter, and fit her hand a little better. I think that it's best to not let anyone tell you what to get but, to use those suggestions to find some different ones to try before you buy... Just my two cents.

My wife is petite and she had problems racking certain guns or they stuck out to far on her small frame. She now has a Bersa 9mm UC. These guns are awesome. Easy to rack the slide. Small framed and very reliable.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links