Petite - Page 3

Petite

This is a discussion on Petite within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walther PPS 9mm. 9mm, as thin as can be, adjustable backstraps to fit any size hand, easy to shoot, easy to strip, easy to conceal, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petite

Walther PPS 9mm.

9mm, as thin as can be, adjustable backstraps to fit any size hand, easy to shoot, easy to strip, easy to conceal, very well made, has enough weight to make shooting it a non-painful experience (unlike some of the ultra small .380s and ultra 9mm's).

A reliable pistol in 9mm. that can be used as a back up gun as well as a primary firearm for EDC and home protection.

Only problem might be the price.. A little high but IMHO well worth it for what you are getting.

bosco

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I am also 5'4". There are some obvious disadvantages being a smaller gal, because it's harder to conceal than say, a big dude. DON'T purse carry! The first thing a mugger will do is snatch your purse. Then you're not only defenseless from a guy who will probably be much bigger than you, but now he's got your gun, too.

I have a Sig P239 (9mm) and tried out every gun I could get my paws on before I decided to buy it. Then I went online and read everything I could on different makes and models, pestered the good posters here (who were very kind in advising me), shot it in a different caliber just to make sure it was what I wanted, and then bought it.

I went to the gun store yesterday and spent 2 hours there trying different holsters/methods to conceal.

I was told that the 239 is too big to conceal on my little frame. (HAH!) It was suggested that I move to something smaller. (No way!) But I found that having it with an IWB tuckable holster from Galco was the way to go.

Of course, I shot ASSA9's Glock 26 a few weeks ago, and totally loved it! I was very surprised by how it was even "softer" than my Sig to shoot, and I think it is slightly smaller at that.

The Sig P232 is also a bit smaller, and still every bit as fun to shoot, just easier to conceal.

Personally, I won't go smaller than a 9mm, and I keep hollow-point, +P rounds as my SD rounds. And I practice every chance I get. You will shoot how you practice, so it's important.

Though I am itching to find a good .45 that I can easily conceal...

Oh, and Cornered Cat is fantastic! It should be recommended reading (the whole website) for any woman who is thinking about carrying. Seriously. Spend some time browsing over there, it is totally worth it!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

FWIW, Bunny touches on an important tidbit. Where you carry, what you carry *in* and what you wear are at least as important as what you are carrying.

-john

Carry on you, not in purse.

Rec the RugerLCP with Hornady Critcal Defense ammo.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

Confused yet?
    Here's some more;
    My wife carries a M&P9c in a OWB strong side hip @ 4 O'clock.
    That's what works for her @ 105lbs/5'4"
    Advice- fondle, shoot & wear different set ups see what works best for you.
    Be prepared to spend the $$$.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Cornered Cat - What Gun for a Woman?

Welcome from CT.

Check out this site, it is geared towards the Ladies.
    +1 Great site!! Check it out..
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    ....Though I am itching to find a good .45 that I can easily conceal...
    Glock 36 (.45 cal), it's about the same size as the G26 and slightly narrower (1.13 inches for the G36 vs. 1.18 inches for the G26). Or if you like the size of the G19 (9 mm), go with the G30 (.45 cal).
    Last edited by highvoltage; May 29th, 2009 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sigman232 View Post
    Check out a glock 26. Its a 9mm and is more compact than the 19. It comes with a second mag that has an extension so your pinky fits around the grip too. It will be easier to handle than some of these tiny 380s. I shot a Ruger LCP and its not a gun you would enjoy shooting or practicing with. If you want a 380 I am patial to the sig232 which is compact but still comfortable to shoot and its super reliable and accurate.

+ 1 on this,..

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Thanks, HighVoltage!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Bunny - With all the fur, ya shouldn't have any concealment issues..

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Check out the 1911 style pistols- they are all single stack. They make some smaller ones that are suitable for concealed carry. Kimber comes to mind.

I'm gonna second that.

I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II, My wife likes it for size and shooting, but doesn't like to rack the slide, so she goes with the Bersa .380. She loves it and is confident that she can operate it in a tough situation.

Also, you have a PILE of good info here and from corneredcat.com and Lima tunes.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Amazing how many responses a poster receives when it is clear that it is a female who is posting, isn't it?
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Chivalry is not dead...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Chivalry is not dead...
    Amen to that!
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Bunny, look forget about all the plastic, and get a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45acp. smaller, lighter, and more powerfull then most any other option. 90 plus years of 1911 owners cant be wrong...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links