Petite

This is a discussion on Petite within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by thylordjj Bunny, look forget about all the plastic, and get a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45acp. smaller, lighter, and more powerfull ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Petite

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thylordjj View Post
    Bunny, look forget about all the plastic, and get a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45acp. smaller, lighter, and more powerfull then most any other option. 90 plus years of 1911 owners cant be wrong...
    Powerful? Power is a function of the cartridge, not the gun. Besides, the 1911 design has external safeties to deal with. Glock safeties are built into the pistol.

Not trying to start a 1911 vs. Glock war. Try both, pick the one that feels best for you.

2. Remove Ads

The OP mentioned that she wanted a small gun that didn't have much kick. Unfortunately, it's a general rule that the lighter the gun, the more felt recoil. One small gun that is heavy enough to moderate the felt recoil is the Ruger SP101 revolver in .357 mag (also shoots .38 special). We have one, and the grip is almost too small for my hand. It's easier to shoot than my Kahr CW9, which I'm still learning -- but of course a revolver will be wider than a small semiautomatic and therefore harder to conceal.

I would echo those who advise renting various types of guns and choosing one that fits the individual.

Zeko

My wife had the same problem. She is 5' 100lbs and decided she liked revolvers the best so we got her a charter arms pink lady. The grip proved to be to big for her choice of clothing so about the only thing she can carry is a small .380. She carrys my lcp now.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Wife07Mom09 -- I just posted a pic of me with my 239 in the "Open Carry" sub-forum, under my "I OC's in NC" thread today. You can get an idea of where I carry and how big the Sig is, relative to my size. Like you, I'm not a big person, though I have a little meat on my bones :) But you can see it as I have it for OC, and therefore how easily it would be to CC it as well.

I hope that helps you out a little?
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I think it's great that more women are taking an interest in defending themselves! Now if I could just get my daughter to send in for her CCL....
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Has anyone directed you here yet for reading? From a female's perspective.

Cornered Cat
    ... whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one. (Luke 22:36b NASB)
    FN Herstal FNP-9, FNP-357, Kahr TP45
    Ruger LCP, S&W 22a
    http://revderb.blogspot.com

Consider a snub revolver in .38 spl. A revolver frame is typically thinner than that of a slide pistol. A change in the grips can also help thin up the entire package. Take a look at Barami Hip Grips on a snub revolver. The grips also do away with the need for a separate holster. Purists are not happy with the absence of a holster but when concealment is the issue other factors fade into obscurity.

Barami Hip Grip Concealed Pistol Revolver
    Signature? What signature.

+1 on Limatunes and Cornered Cat. Great reading, even for us guys.

My wife is trying to steal my Smith 642 is that tells you anything. If I could only have one gun for carry, it would be the 642. Small, lightweight, no hammer to snag, can be fired thru a coat if needed. Can be carried in purse, on ankle, in coat pocket, on waist, in shoulder holster. What more could you ask for?
    Good luck and let us know how your hunt ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I am also 5'4". There are some obvious disadvantages being a smaller gal, because it's harder to conceal than say, a big dude. DON'T purse carry! The first thing a mugger will do is snatch your purse. Then you're not only defenseless from a guy who will probably be much bigger than you, but now he's got your gun, too.

I have a Sig P239 (9mm) and tried out every gun I could get my paws on before I decided to buy it. Then I went online and read everything I could on different makes and models, pestered the good posters here (who were very kind in advising me), shot it in a different caliber just to make sure it was what I wanted, and then bought it.

I went to the gun store yesterday and spent 2 hours there trying different holsters/methods to conceal.

I was told that the 239 is too big to conceal on my little frame. (HAH!) It was suggested that I move to something smaller. (No way!) But I found that having it with an IWB tuckable holster from Galco was the way to go.

Of course, I shot ASSA9's Glock 26 a few weeks ago, and totally loved it! I was very surprised by how it was even "softer" than my Sig to shoot, and I think it is slightly smaller at that.

The Sig P232 is also a bit smaller, and still every bit as fun to shoot, just easier to conceal.

Personally, I won't go smaller than a 9mm, and I keep hollow-point, +P rounds as my SD rounds. And I practice every chance I get. You will shoot how you practice, so it's important.

Though I am itching to find a good .45 that I can easily conceal...

Oh, and Cornered Cat is fantastic! It should be recommended reading (the whole website) for any woman who is thinking about carrying. Seriously. Spend some time browsing over there, it is totally worth it!
    the sig 239 is great,its my carry gun also.its crazy accurate for a short barrel pistol even at 25yards.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Just my humble 2 cents worth. #1 she's a lady, any confrontation i should expect her to go for her purse to offer money, cards and so on as a de-escalation attempt. To be expected right? What woman is EVER without her purse. Surprise, surprise our comes a Charter Arms Pink Lady.

the kel tec p3at or ruger lcp 380's might be a good choice for you..they're very small and easy to conceal.if you looking for a 9mm the kahr pm9 is light weight and very compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Wife07Mom09 View Post
    I am a small women and I want to conceal carry but I don't know if I could do it. I am worried that if I keep it in my purse I won't be able to get to it if needed. or that someone would see it and freak.
    I also want a gun that is small but not much kick.
    I liked the Glock 19, and The Smith and Wesson M and P.
    Unless I missed it looking through the thread, no one has suggested that if you already like the Glock-19, you'd love the Glock-26.
    My wife was not ready to shoot my Kimber Ultra (.45), not that she couldn't, but preferred something smaller.
    The Glock-26 is something she can handle and has little trouble racking.
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1 View Post
    Just my humble 2 cents worth. #1 she's a lady, any confrontation i should expect her to go for her purse to offer money, cards and so on as a de-escalation attempt. To be expected right? What woman is EVER without her purse. Surprise, surprise our comes a Charter Arms Pink Lady.
    *coughing politely*

Not all of us carry purses. I loathe it. Wallet in front or back pocket, keys on a caribiner I can attach to my jeans. When you work with big dogs and horses, it's cumbersome and in the way all the time. Keep your gun ON your body.

And I second the G26 recommend, it's a sweet gun!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I'd suggest you at least look at the Kahr PM9 and the MK9 Elite before you buy. High quality, very reliable but not on the cheap side.

I have a Kahr MK9 and a Kahr CW9, and here are my thoughts: any of these is small enough to conceal comfortably, although I'm a guy. I'm not petite (6'1"), but I am a bit slender (170 lbs). Just got the MK9, and it absolutely hides on me due to short slide and grip as well as width. However, the MK9 is stainless steel and feels heavy. The PM9 is like the MK9 but has a polymer frame, so it has the benefit of being concealable while also being light. However, it's not as pleasant to shoot...the MK9 is heavy enough to suck up a lot of the recoil.

The Kahr CW9 is light, but isn't as compact as the PM9 and MK9. It has a longer grip, so it's a little more comfy to shoot than the PM9.

I would recommend the PM9, but I also would point you to the Kahr P380. It's smaler than the PM9, and siEd more like the Kel-tec P3AT or the Ruger LCP (also in .380 cal). I havent shot the Kahr P380, but it looks like a sweet little thing. I'm certain it would be totally concealable with the right carry method.

You should also check out the Kel-tec and LCP I just mentioned. They look the same. My wife has the LCP, but hasn't started to carry yet. The LCP is (IMO) a little sassy for frequent range use. It's just not a pleasant one to shoot IMO, but serves a distinct purpose due to it's small size.

Also check out the Walther PPS...very slim as well.

Lastly, if you can fit the S&W m&P 9c (the compact one) on your person, you should consider this. Higher capacity than the others, and awesome ergonomics. I shot one of these recently, and it felt like it had no recoil at all. Consequently, I had more fun shooting it, and my shot placement was much better than usual...it's on my "to buy" list.

Lastly (again), if you go with a j-frame (revolver/snubby...like an S&W 642), make sure to rent one at a range first. I tried one out and I shot worse than I ever have in my life. I couldn't figure out how to hit a target even at close range. Very jumpy. Others swear by them...I would never trust myself with one, even though I'm a really good shot with a semi-auto handgun. I would likely hit an unintended target if I pulled out a snubby in a self-defense situation. Again though, try one out, since many, many people love them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links