Real situation what would you do

This is a discussion on Real situation what would you do within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TedBeau OK this happened last week. My daughter and her boyfriend (have 2 year old son together) are having problems getting along... ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Real situation what would you do

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    OK this happened last week. My daughter and her boyfriend (have 2 year old son together) are having problems getting along...

In Michigan we are required to declare we are a concealed weapons permit holder when we have contact with LEO in performance of his duties...

I was not carrying at the time since I didn't want to bring a weapon into the situation. Since the officer did not ask for my ID I did not bring up the subject of concealed permit. Would the officer asking my relationship to my daughter be considered "official duty"?
    In that situation, it certainly does not hurt to inform of the permit with or without the weapon (but I'd have the weapon next time)...why not tell?

Your daughter needs to get out of that situation...she's already being used and abused...it WILL get worse.

OMO
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 30th, 2009 at 10:19 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    In Michigan you are required to identify yourself as a CPL holder & your carry status.

As to the the OP, I think that unless the officer is asking for ID or if you are directly involved in an incident under investigation you should be in the clear. I deal with the occasional LEO on a casual basis fairly often and I can't imagine that they would even care when I am just saying "hello". That being said, when in doubt - declare.

Hopefully one of our LEO members can help on this.
    Only required to inform if carrying. Not if you are not carrying.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I got this off Wikipedias handgunlaws:

An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.[124]

So I guess if you are not CCing at the time, you have no duty to disclose. You should be good.
    Wikipedia, I would take that with a grain of salt. Besides remember the OP is from MI so quoting other states does him no good.

From the Michigan web site:

Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

Responsibilities of Individuals With a CCW License:

1. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol who is stopped by a police officer (traffic stop or otherwise) while in possession of a pistol shall immediately disclose to the police officer that he or she is carrying a concealed pistol either on their person or in their motor vehicle.

* Failure to disclose this information to a police officer carries the following penalties:

* First offense = State Civil Infraction - $500 fine and 6-month CCW license suspension.
    * Second offense = State Civil Infraction - $1000 fine and CCW license revocation.

2. An individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall have the license in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

* Failure to possess CCW license when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and a $100.00 fine.

3. Upon request, an individual licensed to carry a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a police officer:

* His or her license to carry a concealed pistol
    * His or her driver license or personal identification card

* Failure to show CCW license and Michigan driver license or Michigan personal identification card when carrying a concealed pistol is a State Civil Infraction and $100.00 fine.

4. A pistol carried in violation of numbers 1, 2, or 3 is subject to immediate seizure by a police officer.

* If a weapon is seized for failure to possess a CCW license while carrying a concealed pistol:

* Individual has 45 days in which to display their license to carry a concealed pistol to the law enforcement agency that seized the pistol and the pistol shall be returned.

* If the individual does not display their license to carry a concealed pistol within 45 days the pistol is subject to forfeiture.

To Ensure Safety During Police Encounters

If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer you should:

* Keep your hands where an officer can see them.
    * Cooperate fully with the police officer.
    * If you have a gun with you, tell the police officer as soon as possible.
    * Do not make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon.
    * If in a vehicle at night, turn on your vehicle's dome light.

In certain circumstances, a law enforcement officer may take temporary possession of the weapon during interaction with the individual to ensure the safety of the officer and others. The police officer will return the pistol at the end of the stop unless the individual is being charged with a violation of the act or any other law that allows for the weapon to be seized.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

I'v been stopped twice since I received my CHP. Both times I handed the officer my license and my CHP. The first time I was carrying. The second time I was not. It is not an issue with me, however, out of respect and the fact that my permit number IS my drivers license number if he were to run my license, he would wonder where my gun is so..... I just get it out in the open, we are required only to inform if we have a concealed weapon at the time of being stopped but if it was my husband putting his life on the line at each stop I know I would appreciate the courtesy.

About you daughter. Everyone is correct. She is in danger. I lived it and it only gets worse. It also will be your problem as it does because you will want to strangle him or worse yet, use your weapon on him eventually. Trouble for you also.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

in michigan by law you have to declar that you have a cpl carring or not thats the law and if your id is ran it will come up that you have a permint than not telling is up to the leo what to next let it go or not better to play it save let them know

Quote Originally Posted by HollowpointHank View Post
    I don't see the point in bringing it up if you aren't carrying. Even if he asked for your ID. You aren't carrying.
    The answer is yes, it was in an "offical duty" ........ you being there and talking with the cop. You were not armed so I don't think it mattered.

Good job on not bringing your sidearm into that situation, although it might be comfort on any future encounters with your daughters BF. That yahoo sounds like a disturbed control freak.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It's Michigan...you inform him you are a CPL holder and you inform him as to you carry status.

If anything happens, or a supervisor comes on the scene and asks again for ID and runs it, then you would be in trouble for not informing them.

Especially in a tense domestic violence situation.

Again, inform and status.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

I just make it a habbit of telling the LEO that I have a CPL and my pistol is here (pointing to it), or at home, or what ever the case may be. This way there is no confusion or question. I learned this from my LEO parents who came into contact with this every day. As a LEO you want to feel safe at all times, if a person doesnt say anything about a CPL then you are on edge the whole time. If a person says "Officer, I am a CPL holder, my pistol is on my right-side hip." then the LEO feel a bit more secure not only because he can respond if his hand goes near his right side hip, but because the guy didnt lie or withhold anything.

I just find it best to ALWAYS tell the LEO that you are a CPL holder and your gun is where.

I question why you did not carry when you went there. If you know it could be a volitile situation, isn't that when you would want your weapon? I think that is especially when I want it with me. Always carry! You never know!

Then just inform when approached by an officer. You would be perfectly legal.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lws380 View Post
    I question why you did not carry when you went there. If you know it could be a volitile situation, isn't that when you would want your weapon? I think that is especially when I want it with me. Always carry! You never know!

Then just inform when approached by an officer. You would be perfectly legal.
    I have to give credit where credit is due, TedBeau realized he was going into a situation involving police, already on edge and I would personally want to hurt the guy if it was my daughter. Knowing when not to carry is your individual responsibility.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    Knowing when not to carry is your individual responsibility.
    +1
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    As an aside, just to let you know. If and when your daughter decides to leave or kick him out and/or get a TRO, it's really important to make her understand that a TRO is just a piece of paper, and paper isn't bullet- or knife-proof.

There is a range/gunshop here that offers FREE basic firearms training to women who are victims of DV. If you show a TRO, you get free classes plus a discount on purchase of a firearm. I believe they may also discount their CCW classes as well. Something she may want to look into not only for her own protection, but for her child's as well. I'd think there would be similar offers from instructors/FFL dealers around the country. Maybe you could even inquire around for her, if she will be too overwhelmed to do it for herself.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links