CO does not accept permits from:

This is a discussion on CO does not accept permits from: within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WOW am I mad. Colorado Bureau of Investigation This statute states that CO does not recognize out of state permits that are issued to non-residents ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO does not accept permits from:

WOW am I mad.

Colorado Bureau of Investigation

This statute states that CO does not recognize out of state permits that are issued to non-residents of the issuing state. i.e. if I apply to get a FL permit I am not legal in cc for CO because I am a resident of CO and not FL.

SOOOO the jerks at the gun show last month who sold me on the idea of getting a FL permit (more states with reciprocity) either don't know what they are talking about or just royally screwed me over.

just a word of warning to anyone else who goes to the monthly gun show and is tempted to take a concealed carry class there. the class is fine, just don't waist 60 bucks for them to fingerprint you and 117 bucks to send off your app to FL.

*update

got off the phone w the guy who owns the class thing; he is usually there and was not on my date of class. he says instructors and cbi guy do know about this law and should have been clear about it.

cbi guy was not. i specifically asked him if the fl permit was valid in co. he said yes. (and yes it is if you are a fl resident, but seeing how this was a co show...)

so in summary i think the class is still money well spent, JUST be more aware of the law going into it than I was.

VIP Member
    If you have a Colorado permit you are still good to go in CO. Your FL. permit just adds to your out of state places you can carry.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

correct, i was (wrongly) under the impression that the FL permit would be valid for a CO resident in CO.

just a pain in my butt for having waited 30 days already for my FL permit and now having to apply for my CO permit. grr

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Take responsibility for yourself, don't blame some jerk at a show unless he forced you to sign up.

Do your own research a Colorado permit and a Nevada permit gives you more than the Colorado and the Flordia. The number of states really does not matter if you travel to specific places that do not honor the permit(s) you have.

Also, I suggest you read the Colorado statutes and the laws of any state you plan to carry in. Do not relie on what someone else says, you are the one in hot water not the guy who may have given you bad advise.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Take responsibility for yourself, don't blame some jerk at a show unless he forced you to sign up.

Do your own research a Colorado permit and a Nevada permit gives you more than the Colorado and the Flordia. The number of states really does not matter if you travel to specific places that do not honor the permit(s) you have.

Also, I suggest you read the Colorado statutes and the laws of any state you plan to carry in. Do not relie on what someone else says, you are the one in hot water not the guy who may have given you bad advise.
    +1, unless someone who gives you advise on legal issues is an attorney, you can't hold them liable for that advice, good OR BAD.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

point taken

i don't 'hold them liable', but i think a class on the subject should be clear about something like that. And, i was reading the laws (how i figured this situation out) and was posting in case it hadn't been clear to someone else in the same situation.

i do think i was misled by the person involved, but probably not intentionally. i also understand ultimately it is my responsibility to learn this stuff (ignorance of the law is no excuse, etc)

either way, it's an easy fix, just frustrated that if i had figured this out a month ago i could be 30 days into the wait for my CO permit as well.

lesson learned

As you've already learned, do your own research. Nuff said about that.

My suggestion would be about a year before your Florida license expires, take a Utah class and apply for a Utah permit. You'll pick up two additional states over the Florida license (Washington & Minnesota) and the Utah permit is less than $70.00 initially (compared to $117.00 for Florida) and only $10.00 to renew (compared to $107.00 for Florida).

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Sponsor

CO ccw

Does Colorado issue non resident permits?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Does Colorado issue non resident permits?
    According to Handgunlaw, no they don't issue non-res permits.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    No, CO. does NOT issue non-res permits. Colorado is a shall issue to residents state, and a does not issue to non residents state.
    Thomas Jefferson

CO law changed within the last year.
    It used to honor other state's permits, and then it changed to having to be a resident of the issuing state.
    It's possible that the person who told you, just hasn't come up to speed yet.

Otherwise, as stated already, (and you know.) you are responsible to verify the laws yourself.
    Handgunlaw.us is always a good place to start.

Enjoy your FL permit, when it arrives. (But ya gotta go out of state to do that.)
    Get your CO permit now.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

I went with the FL permit b/c I could get one without the class, just need a DD214. It also doesn't show up on my DMV report. The bulk of the classes are basic firearm instruction, not letter or application of the law or scenario discussion - I get that online.

MJK
    I had a similar situation two years ago when I traveled to Florida. I'm a Missouri resident with a Utah permit, but Florida did not honor Utah permits issued to non-residents. Needless to say, I felt like I was walking around St. Augustine without my pants on the entire time I was there.

COlongshot,
    Contact Profire at training@profire.us. They have good classes and give you the legal scoop you need for a permit( the laws). The have classes for CO, Utah and Fla.
    they also have live fire classes and the instructors are good.
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links