Defensive Carry banner

Parenting

3K views 48 replies 48 participants last post by  stormbringerr 
#1 ·
I have another forum that is just for moms in Ga. and in my debating about carrying I asked them what they thought about it.
I was so suprised... Almost all of them said that they wouldn't let their child go to another person's house if they knew there would be guns.
A few of them even said that they don't let their kids play with toy guns!:aargh4:
So here is my question to ya'll... If you knew that your childs best friends parents were carrying would you allow them to go to that house?

#3 ·
While my two are grown and on their own, I did and still have the premise that it is another opportunity for education. I see so many of the children today that don't have a clue. And they don't have that clue simply because they are sheltered to the point that if we keep them from it, it doesn't exist.

I feel that my kids have a well rounded education, both school and on the streets. Their mom on the other hand, well that's for another day. The show "cops" is a good example. Not a show that I watch but my son would happen upon it while surfing. It gave me an opportunity to explain, you do bad things or things outside of the law, you will get caught.

Just an example.

#4 ·
But of course, so long as I know the parents are responsible with their firearms.

#32 ·
But of course, so long as I know the parents are responsible with their firearms.
i would want to be sure of this, but I'm rather comfortable with this idea...my kids (back in the day) were 'gun-proofed'.:hand10:

#18 ·
+1, and that is regardless of guns or not.

If one of my kids' friend's Dad is the numskull who scratches his back with a revolver and shoots himself like one idiot did in Fort Worth last year then my kids don't' go there.

#6 ·
Absolutely! Of course I would want to know that they are responsible gun owners. I am personally not woried about my kids picking up or handling a gun they find. But, I don't know what they have taught their kids about firearm safety. I want to know there won't be random guns lying around.

#7 ·
The age of the children involved plays a role. Mine are all teens and have access to guns all the time. We live in the country and they are home alone often, so for self defense guns are available to them. Now when their friends come over they are not left alone, regardless of who the kids are, I am not taking that chance. The guns are locked away as well.

We generally know how our kids react and behave but not so with other peoples children.

I do not let my kids go anywhere unless I know the parents or have met them or been to their house before or sometimes it is just a "No Way" from knowing the kids they want to hang out with.

I do not consider it sheltering so much as doing my job to protect them as long as I can.

The good thing is as parents we have the right to pick and choose who our children visit, and if we do not feel comfortable with it, they do not go. Regardless of the reason.

I am the one who has to live with the decision and consequences if something bad happens.

I refuse to be uninvolved in my childrens lives.

#8 ·
It depends on the parents and on the children. We have some neighbors that I swear shouldn't be within 5 city blocks of a water gun, let alone a loaded firearm. And that's the PARENTS!

On the other hand, we have some who I know have guns in the home, and I am totally cool with my son over there playing with their boys. The parents are responsible and the kids are well-behaved and respectful, AND they are supervised at all times. Kinda like when the kids are over here. :)

#9 ·
We don't let our daughter play at any friend's house unless there are responsible adults on hand.

Having said that, I prefer that she play in homes where those aforementioned responsible adults are both willing and capable of protecting her from any dangers that might arise........just as my wife and I are.

Why would you want to send your kid someplace where they're less safe than they are at home?

#10 ·
From my past experience, I can confirm that educating kids about firearms is the only way you can know they are safe around guns, and because mine where use to being around them, I never thought anything about it.

But now that you mention it, for those sheep who afraid of a gun; they have no way to educate them. So, I can see why they might be fearful.

I can also see another side of the coin.

A good friend of mine who works for a British DOD contractor visited last Christmas. He is very familiar with firearms, and sometimes, has to carry’s one at work. His daughter age two has not been educated about guns yet.

So, when he got to my house, he came in and said to me before she wakeup and I bring her in, (long flight and car ride from airport) have you secured all the weapons in the house? I confirmed, and said with exception of the one in my pocket.

Just to be on the safe side when we have friends over, who have kids, with the exception of the one in my pocket, I always lockup all the rest of the guns.
Just to be safe.

#13 ·
Absolutely, as long as I know the parents, kids, and know they are responsible. I do not let my kids go anywhere if I don't know the parents/kids anyway. If I didn't think they were responsible enough for a gun - even if they have none- my kids wouldn't be there anyway.

#14 ·
So here is my question to ya'll... If you knew that your childs best friends parents were carrying would you allow them to go to that house?
Sure.

But, standard guidelines apply:
  • Have long since firearm-proofed the kid.
  • Know the parents of every child's friend.
  • Know that the parents are dead-solid responsible in all respects. This has nothing whatsoever to do with firearms, as such.
  • Know if the parents practice intelligent handling/storage of firearms (ie, appreciate the risks that firearms left layin' around pose).
So long as the parents are responsible with and respectful of firearms and related safety, I have no qualms whatsoever. Merely owning guns isn't sufficient to keep a home safe.

#17 ·
Let's put the question a different way: Assuming the parents are responsible gun owners, why would you NOT want your child to be protected while out of your care?

Or, at least, that's the question most of us would ask.Parents who aren't comfortable with firearms would see it differently, naturally.

#44 · (Edited)
1) I hate the verb "Parenting." Think of the forms of a verb. When did you "parent", when have you "parented" etc. IMHO -- you become a parent when you have a child. At that point you have "parented." From then on you "raise" the child/children.

OK Old-Fart's rant over.

2) Except on an emotional :sheep: level, how is this question any different than:

a) If you knew that your child's best friends parents were going to drive somewhere would you allow them to go with them? (much higher rate of child deaths than guns).

b) If you knew that your child's best friends parents had a pool would you allow them to go to that house? (much higher rate of child deaths than guns).

c) If you knew that your child's best friends parents had matches/lighters/stoves/etc would you allow them to go to that house? (much higher rate of child deaths than guns).

d) If you knew that your child's best friends parents had any household cleaning materials/alcohol/Rx/or other sources of item that might poison a child would you allow them to go to that house? (much higher rate of child deaths than guns).

e) If you knew that your child's best friends parents had any plastic bags/strong string/ropes/belts/etc would you allow them to go to that house? (much higher rate of child deaths than guns).

See: National Child Mortality Data

Unintentional Injury 12,035 14.8
Motor Vehicle 7,677 9.5
Drowning 1,062 1.3
Fire/Burn 551 0.7
Poisoning 650 0.8
Suffocation/Strangulation 910 1.1
Firearm 151 0.2
Also see: ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Publications/NVSR/57_14/Table18.xls

Also see:
FOXNews.com - Do Gun Control Activists Pad Gun Death Statistics? - Opinion

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

#19 ·
That is a REQUIREMENT for my kids to go,.. No-guns, No-play dates,...

Ok, Ok,. . Not really, but it I've never worried about it, and it is always great when they say,.. "We need to go shooting together someday soon".. LOL Kids are always taking about it anyway,.

#21 ·
I have a couple kids myself whom I haven't introduced to firearms yet but will in a few years. My initial response to the post was "why not?" but then I remembered some thoughts I had when I first purchased my gun (I'm a noob to handguns, grew up around small bore rifles though).

I'm not worried about how my kids are going to react around firearms. We've already had the talk and I can trust them (at least the older one for now) to keep away and tell an adult and he'll definitely tell on his little bro.

The thing I worry about is that other parents who may be gun owners but not advertising haven't gun proofed their kids. Especially when the kids get older like in the 8 to 16yo range. By that time my kids will have been shooting for several years, but other gun owners' kids may still have never even seen a gun depending on the type of parents they have. If they stumble upon them, will my kids have the stones to take control of the situation and make things right? I know it's my responsibility to make sure they will but still, you never know.

#24 · (Edited)
Yes!

And, I have made a point to educate my kids about firearms all along.
When each one turned 8 years old I gave them a pocket knife, and took them to the range for their birthday. At that time I took away the toy guns and said "From now on, they are real." (Never point a gun Toy or not, at anyone EVER again, unless you are a soldier or police man/woman.) I never encouraged them to get into paintball, or air soft, and they really don't want to either, because it means you have to point and shoot at others. (I personally think those "games" are crazy.)
Besides, we, my wife and me, know who our kids friends are, and their parents. (They're all good.)
My kids are older now, (12 to 18) and they know where the guns are and how to use them if they ever (God forbid) need them for self defense.

If there are guns in another house, at least my kids know how to handle the situation, and the guns for that matter. (They'd leave them alone.)
I think that raising kids with guns have been quite normal for hundreds of years. It is only in the last few years that it has gotten weird.

Just 2 more of my cents.

#26 ·
Well said by all. I'm with them.

Your other forum is populated with well-meaning, highly-motivated moms, who are trying to do the best parenting in the world. They started with some odd presuppositions, however, and these have led them to some odd conclusions. They are consistent with the presuppositions, of course, so these folks don't SEE the conclusions as odd, and thus will be highly refractory to any arguments you advance. Again, they mean well, but if the ladder is against the wrong wall, it is still against the wrong wall no matter how far they climb.

#27 ·
And then CCMAN said:
If it was My Child over at someone house I would know the people before the Child would be left over there.

Being a parents forum that should already be a No Brainer for them...And should really No Brain the question.

Because if they then change their mind about trusting the other parents simply because they have a gun after they had trusted them completly otherwise?......Those would be the defective folks IMO

As for the no toy guns? I was and still am one of those people, I just could not stand to have even a toy pointed at me or see the kids pointing them at each other, It has been just recently that I began to realize my job as a parent included being able to defend our own lifes. So my kids know I have a real gun now and I trust that they would not touch it as it has been explained over all the years that they are but for one purpose. I also make certain they never have the opportunity to touch the one I have at present. And will do so until I feel they are ready to go to the range and learn.

And to who ever said it has been just the past few years that things have gotten crazy.....You sure got that part right.

#28 ·
I would have to trust someone before I let my kids (if I had any) go to their house. After I trust them, I would far and away prefer them to have guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.