Worth the time to get a Florida non resident permit?

This is a discussion on Worth the time to get a Florida non resident permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by cvhoss Yes, Texas has a non-resident license. However, you must take your training IN TEXAS to apply. I have friends who have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worth the time to get a Florida non resident permit?

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Yes, Texas has a non-resident license. However, you must take your training IN TEXAS to apply. I have friends who have them.

Hoss
    Yes, I found this after I posted...

Texas

Texas issues Non Resident permits. Your IS from your state of residence is needed. You can find the info
    at the below Website/Address/Phone/Email address on what the exact procedure is to obtain a Texas Non
    Resident permit. You must have a Safety Class conducted by a certified Texas Instructor. A list of those
    instructors are listed on the Texas DPS web site. Click on Texas in the header to this paragraph to go to
    the Texas DPS web site.

Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau
    Texas Department of Public Safety
    P O Box 4143
    Austin, Texas 78765-4143
    Phone: (512) 424-7293 or (512) 424-7294
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by KSCarry View Post
    I can't find the cost for a FL permit. Does anyone know offhand?
    Florida (Can be obtained by mail)
    You can obtain an Application and other material needed to apply for a Florida permit at the link below.
    Order Florida Forms
    You need to order 4 Items from the web site.
    Application. (Order 2 just in case you mess one up.)
    Fingerprint Cards. (Get theirs so you know you have the right ones.)
    How to be licensed to Carry a Concealed Weapon or Firearm. (This is the instructions)
    Questions and Answers Pertaining to the Use of Deadly Force. (This explains FL Law)
    They will mail you the requested forms at no cost to you. They should arrive in a week or so.
    Follow the directions on filling them out etc. The instructions are very easy to follow.
    It takes about 90 days to process all the paperwork. Cost is $117.00 (Issued for a 7 year period.)

The block on the card entitled Employer and Address must be left blank. The name and address of the
    law enforcement (yes, they misspelled it) agency at which your prints were taken must appear on the
    back of the card in the blank area of the upper right corner.

On the Application your signature must be notarized. It says Florida Notary. It does not have to be a FL
    Notary. It just has to be a Notary.

You must reside in the United States to obtain a Florida non-resident permit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Otherwise I'd have one too.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I can't find the cost for a FL permit. Does anyone know offhand?
    $117 for 7 years... still waiting for mine :-/

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Florida (Can be obtained by mail)
    You can obtain an Application and other material needed to apply for a Florida permit at the link below.
    Order Florida Forms
    You need to order 4 Items from the web site.
    Application. (Order 2 just in case you mess one up.)
    Fingerprint Cards. (Get theirs so you know you have the right ones.)
    How to be licensed to Carry a Concealed Weapon or Firearm. (This is the instructions)
    Questions and Answers Pertaining to the Use of Deadly Force. (This explains FL Law)
    They will mail you the requested forms at no cost to you. They should arrive in a week or so.
    Follow the directions on filling them out etc. The instructions are very easy to follow.
    It takes about 90 days to process all the paperwork. Cost is $117.00 (Issued for a 7 year period.)

The block on the card entitled Employer and Address must be left blank. The name and address of the
    law enforcement (yes, they misspelled it) agency at which your prints were taken must appear on the
    back of the card in the blank area of the upper right corner.

On the Application your signature must be notarized. It says Florida Notary. It does not have to be a FL
    Notary. It just has to be a Notary.

Link to the site?
    John Luttrell

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    At one time I had my Colorado permit, along with non-resident permits from FL, PA, and UT..... Utah is now recognized in many more states than it was years ago.... I have therefore let my FL and PA permits expire.

Between the two (CO, UT) I'm good to go in "most" of the states I most likely to visit.

As to Arkansas...... well I would start trying to get a non-resident pemit while you are still in Texas for sure. I would think it would immediately cover you when you make the move to AR.

BTW, what part of Arkansas will you live?
    We will be moving to Waldron, Arkansas; it's in the mountains of the western side of the state.
    John Luttrell

Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    Link to the site?
    Here ya' go...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/N...entPermits.pdf

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thank you very much, I just ordered the application forms from Florida.
    John Luttrell

I am planning on applying for a Florida permit. My Kansas permit required an instruction class on CCW. The certificate of completion I received lists the instructor's state instructor number but doesn't specifically state that she is NRA Certified (even though she is).

For the Florida app. it asks for a course that is state certified or taught by an NRA certified instructor. Do I need to get more documentation than what I already have, or will this suffice? Any advice from previous Florida applicants is appreciated.

I am planning on applying for a Florida permit. My Kansas permit required an instruction class on CCW. The certificate of completion I received lists the instructor's state instructor number but doesn't specifically state that she is NRA Certified (even though she is).

For the Florida app. it asks for a course that is state certified or taught by an NRA certified instructor. Do I need to get more documentation than what I already have, or will this suffice? Any advice from previous Florida applicants is appreciated.

If you are a military veteran, you can use your DD214 and fore go a CCW class., for Florida application.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have had a FL permit for about 8 years, and have my renewal in now. I want to be sure that when I go to FL I have a permit that is recognized. FL does not recognize a permit, other than FL, if the permit was not issued by the state of residence of the holder.

They do recognize my NM permit, but NM is so contrary there has been some talk that they might terminate reciprocity with FL. FL is not as strict as NM in the requirements. I hope NM does not do that.

When my wife and I RV I had several so that I could travel almost anywhere and be legal.

Regards,
    Jerry

Ok, guys, I have received my Florida CW Application and have it all filled out. I will get the finger prints done tomorrow at the local PD and then the photo an notary taken care of at our local Gun Club.

I have a question that pertains to a misdemeanor charge of Criminal Mischief I had, from back in 1985. I have already contacted the Court Clerk for that offense and they are sending the disposition to me for my Texas Application, that I am also about to send out as well.

I saw nothing stating I needed to send a copy of that court disposition in with my Florida Application, but it makes sense to me that I will need to send a copy of it in to them for the same reasons that Texas wanted a copy of it.

Can I just get a copy made and have it notarized as a complete copy and send it in with my application? Any pointers from those that may have already waded through this process will be appreciated.
    John Luttrell

I contacted the state of Florida about the misdemeanor I have from 1985 and they said to just make a certified copy of the court docket with the disposition of the case and send it in with my Florida Application. Amazing how some of the stupid things we do when we are young that continue to sneak up and embarrass you when you’re older.

I have had to explain this old misdemeanor to federal agencies more times than you'd ever believe, as I held a Top Secrete Security Clearance for many years. Some of the agents openly snickered, unable to hold it back when I explained that I was arrested for throwing a pizza in a ceiling fan on a dare, and that as far as I know I still can not eat pizza at that Pizza Hut as of today. Not to mention that it was the most expensive pizza I've ever bought in my life to date.
    John Luttrell

I'm curious if getting a Florida non-resident permit would be worth my effort.
    It surely can't hurt to have one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links