Worth the time to get a Florida non resident permit?

This is a discussion on Worth the time to get a Florida non resident permit? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious if getting a Florida non-resident permit would be worth my effort. Here is the deal, my wife and I own two places, one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth the time to get a Florida non resident permit?

Worth the time to get a Florida non resident permit?

I'm curious if getting a Florida non-resident permit would be worth my effort.

Here is the deal, my wife and I own two places, one here in Texas and the other in the mountains of Arkansas. We have pretty much decide to move up to Arkansas here in a year or so and sell this place.

I know that switching my Texas CHL over to Arkansas is not a problem, but I am concerned with any laps in holding a card while the switch is in progress. This is what got me thinking about getting a non residence from Florida to compliment my Texas license; if I'm reading things correctly, the Florida permit would have me covered in the state of Arkansas during the time I'm getting my Texas license switched to Arkansas.

Plus, it appears that Florida will accept a copy my DD-214 as proof of training. Has anyone here done this and how much trouble is it?
    John Luttrell

2. Remove Ads

Vet

Fla ccl

Just got my Fla lic, took from 2 Jan to 7 May 09. Tx chl in the
    processing stage now-go for it. DD Form 214 works, thats what I
    used
    Be safe
    Vet/71-72 " The Nam"

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    According to Handgunlaw.us, Arkansas honors Texas permits as well. Florida is a good one to hve if you travel extensively, as so many states honor it. I have Florida and Utah along with my Nevada permit. I can carry in over 30 states with that combination.

VIP Member
    It would be good to have if You were to travel You would be able to carry in the States that honour it.

Multiple CCPs

I live at AR now and have had permit here many years.

Also have CT statewide permit.

Look at the map to see recoprocity laws

CT offers none but is acceptable all over New England and even in AR. Note NY not part of New England.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

To be technical, Florida does not have a non-resident permit.
    It's just a permit like anyone else has, it's your address on the permit that makes YOU the non-resident...your permit and mine would look identical.

Now, is it worth getting? U betcha'...one just has to be sure of the 5-6 states that only recognize a permit is from a state you live in...

TX and AR would recognize FL...but I don't know if either state requires you to have their license as a resident of their state.

Stay armed...research TX/AR law to be sure...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Luttrel View Post
    I'm curious if getting a Florida non-resident permit would be worth my effort.

Here is the deal, my wife and I own two places, one here in Texas and the other in the mountains of Arkansas. We have pretty much decide to move up to Arkansas here in a year or so and sell this place.

I know that switching my Texas CHL over to Arkansas is not a problem, but I am concerned with any laps in holding a card while the switch is in progress. This is what got me thinking about getting a non residence from Florida to compliment my Texas license; if I'm reading things correctly, the Florida permit would have me covered in the state of Arkansas during the time I'm getting my Texas license switched to Arkansas.

Plus, it appears that Florida will accept a copy my DD-214 as proof of training. Has anyone here done this and how much trouble is it?
    If I'm not mistaken most states will give you like a 90 day grace period with you're old permit (much like license plates and drivers licenses), and/or an automatic "renewal" if you have a permit from another state if you are moving to that state.

I'm not 100% sure tho, just something I've heard.

VIP Member
    IMHO you can't have too many permits.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

From what I can tell from Handgunlaw, Arkansas requires you to live there for 12 months to establish residency before you could get an Arkansas license. I would check with the Arkansas State Police to make sure your Texas license will cover you while you live there for the 12 months to become a resident. Once you are able to obtain an Arkansas license, the only state that I can see that a Florida license would add would be New Mexico. A Utah license would add New Mexico and Washington and is much cheaper than a Florida license. The Utah license does have the hassle of having to take a training class from a Utah certified instructor but the cost savings would more than cover the training costs. Personally, I would be hard pressed to spend the money for a Florida license to only add New Mexico.

The interesting kink will be what will be the status of your Texas license while you are living in Arkansas for that 12 months to establish residency. If, since you are no longer living in Texas, your Texas license becomes a non-resident license, you will lose your ability to carry in Colorado, Kansas, Michigan, Florida and South Carolina until you can get an Arkansas resident license.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    From what I can tell from Handgunlaw, Arkansas requires you to live there for 12 months to establish residency before you could get an Arkansas license. I would check with the Arkansas State Police to make sure your Texas license will cover you while you live there for the 12 months to become a resident. Once you are able to obtain an Arkansas license, the only state that I can see that a Florida license would add would be New Mexico. A Utah license would add New Mexico and Washington and is much cheaper than a Florida license. The Utah license does have the hassle of having to take a training class from a Utah certified instructor but the cost savings would more than cover the training costs. Personally, I would be hard pressed to spend the money for a Florida license to only add New Mexico.

The interesting kink will be what will be the status of your Texas license while you are living in Arkansas for that 12 months to establish residency. If, since you are no longer living in Texas, your Texas license becomes a non-resident license, you will lose your ability to carry in Colorado, Kansas, Michigan, Florida and South Carolina until you can get an Arkansas resident license.

Hoss
    I do not believe that TX has a non-resident license, therefore once you move out of TX, you are not licensed by TX.
    Be careful about where you have your address...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I do not believe that TX has a non-resident license, therefore once you move out of TX, you are not licensed by TX.
    Be careful about where you have your address...
    Yes, Texas has a non-resident license. However, you must take your training IN TEXAS to apply. I have friends who have them.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

At one time I had my Colorado permit, along with non-resident permits from FL, PA, and UT..... Utah is now recognized in many more states than it was years ago.... I have therefore let my FL and PA permits expire.

Between the two (CO, UT) I'm good to go in "most" of the states I most likely to visit.

As to Arkansas...... well I would start trying to get a non-resident pemit while you are still in Texas for sure. I would think it would immediately cover you when you make the move to AR.

BTW, what part of Arkansas will you live?

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Found in Arkansas hand gun laws

Man, my eye balls hurt after all the reading I had to do to find this, but it's what I needed to know.

Rule 12.2 Procedure for transfer of a license issued by a reciprocal state to Arkansas

(a) Any person who becomes a resident of Arkansas and who has a valid license to
    carry a concealed handgun issued by a reciprocal state may apply to transfer his or her
    license to Arkansas by submitting the following packet to the Department:
    (1) A properly completed Department transfer application form;
    (2) The person's current original reciprocal state license (if the concealed handgun
    carry license is contained on the driverís license of that state, then other suitable
    documentation as outlined by the Department will be required);
    (3) Two (2) properly completed, classifiable and legible fingerprint cards;
    (4) A nonrefundable license fee as set by law; and
    (5) Any fee charged by a state or federal agency for a criminal history check.
    (b) Any license is valid for a period of five (5) years from the date of issuance and binds
    the holder to comply with all Arkansas laws and Rules regarding the carrying of the
    concealed handgun.
    (c) The minimum Arkansas residency requirement of ninety (90) days does not apply to
    applicants for a transfer of a license to carry a concealed handgun from a reciprocal
    state.

John L
    John Luttrell

CT has a non-resident lic for those with their state wide permit and possibly the town permits.

I know that while CT not officially indicates reciprocity that from personal experience AR highway patrol honored my non-resident CT permit a few years ago.

It really up to LEO for what they wil accept, or not, when it becomes gray area.
    Glock 33 .357 SIG plus .40 S&W barrel for most of practice. Keep loaded with .357 SIG hollow point for home protection.

RugerLCP .380 equipped with Crimson Trace for everyday carry.

http://www.christinacooks.com/

I can't find the cost for a FL permit. Does anyone know offhand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links