A Question About Arizona - Page 2

A Question About Arizona

This is a discussion on A Question About Arizona within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Flagstaff has a Cracker Barrell, Sizzler and a Red Lobster I have eaten at....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Flagstaff has a Cracker Barrell, Sizzler and a Red Lobster I have eaten at.

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    My CCL is honored by Arizona, so I'll be carrying concealed until I'm near the CA border. Yuma sits on the border, so I'll take a break there and disarm just before I take off again. When I get back to Yuma I'll stop and arm myself for the rest of the trip.

Speaking of Arizona. On the return trip I plan on spending the night in Flagstaff. Anyone know of any really good places there to eat? Nothing fancy, I'll be wearing jeans and not dressed up!

This will be my first trip through Arizona since 1979! I always liked the looks of Arizona. Lot's of wide open spaces. I like that!

Almost every dining place in laid-back AZ is jeans-friendly. As far as places to eat: I avoid the chain joints and have always liked local eateries like Beaver Street (a brewery with a varied menu in the heart of downtown Flag) and I also like Busters (huge beer selection, varied menu, and I prefer to eat in the bar area with all the windows). Another popular eatery--especially with the college crowd--Oregano's for Italian/pizza.

Have a safe trip.

P.S. As stated before, there are lots of lonely stretches on the way to CA where you could do your pistola switcheroo.
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Thanks!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Almost every dining place in laid-back AZ is jeans-friendly. As far as places to eat: I avoid the chain joints and have always liked local eateries like Beaver Street (a brewery with a varied menu in the heart of downtown Flag) and I also like Busters (huge beer selection, varied menu, and I prefer to eat in the bar area with all the windows). Another popular eatery--especially with the college crowd--Oregano's for Italian/pizza.

Have a safe trip.

P.S. As stated before, there are lots of lonely stretches on the way to CA where you could do your pistola switcheroo.
    Thanks! I've never made this drive before, so I didn't know if there would be many places where I could get off the road and handle a gun without having other people around. Rest areas sometimes are pretty crowded, at least in other parts of the country.

Also, I understand that in Arizona I cannot carry in any restrurant that serves alcohol, is that correct?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

VIP Member
    Also, I understand that in Arizona I cannot carry in any restrurant that serves alcohol, is that correct?
    That is true. While at the NRA convention a couple of weeks ago I had to disarm between shopping at Bass Pro Shops and eating dinner at their attached restaurant.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Your question has come up before and I'm not sure if it's ever been satisfactorily answered due to other issues regarding the bringing of firearms into the Peoples Republik. First of all, all firearms have to be registered to be legal in Ca. Yours won't be. Opinions vary, but the common consensus is that the law applies to residents and nonresidents alike, regardless of how the weapon is stored in your vehicle.
    I recall that some posters in the past suggested leaving the gun at a police station in Arizona while others recommend a bus station locker or some such on the Arizona side of the border.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Your question has come up before and I'm not sure if it's ever been satisfactorily answered due to other issues regarding the bringing of firearms into the Peoples Republik. First of all, all firearms have to be registered to be legal in Ca. Yours won't be. Opinions vary, but the common consensus is that the law applies to residents and nonresidents alike, regardless of how the weapon is stored in your vehicle.
    I recall that some posters in the past suggested leaving the gun at a police station in Arizona while others recommend a bus station locker or some such on the Arizona side of the border.
    A firearm doesn't have to be registered, at least not to transport through the state by a non-resident. I have a letter from the California Bureau of Firearms that states:

"Handguns
    California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1"

Signed by Melissa Bonetti for Edmund G. Brown, Attorney General

This information can also be found here.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

This place was featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dives. The food looked good but I've haven't been to Flagstaff in a few years.

Brandy's Restaurant - Flagstaff, AZ
    Brandy's Bakery and Restaurant
    1500 E. Cedar Ave. Ste. 40
    Flagstaff, AZ 86004
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

VIP Member
    I’m a 25-year resident of Arizona and no; you will not be in violation of the law and its very unlikely you would be hassled if seen. In fact, open carry seldom raises any eyebrows in public. I’ll carry open once in a while, just so that it continues to be viewed as “no big thing” to John-Q citizen.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I’m a 25-year resident of Arizona and no; you will not be in violation of the law and its very unlikely you would be hassled if seen. In fact, open carry seldom raises any eyebrows in public. In fact, I’ll carry open once in a while, so that it continues to be viewed as “no big thing”.
    Regards,
    Thanks. I'll do my best to not be observed by anyone, but just in case someone does see me I didn't want to run afoul of the law. Looks like I'll have to disarm again when I stop to eat since all the good places also serve alcohol!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

... provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1"

They just want to be sure that you can't get at your gun in time to prevent a carjacking or rape or robbery.

Just did this last week driving from Tucson to L.A. If you're on I-10 there's a rest stop a couple miles east of the border. I believe it's just east of a strip of highway that goes through an Indian reservation where *I believe* (not sure) it's illegal to carry concealed.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

A good steak in Flagstaff?
    The best spot is the Horsemen's Lodge up north of town.
    OUTSTANDING cuts of meat! I was there last night.
    I was with a LEO buddy visiting from Colorado, and we both remembered we needed to disarm before going in.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

A firearm doesn't have to be registered, at least not to transport through the state by a non-resident. I have a letter from the California Bureau of Firearms that states:

"Handguns
    California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

My son's stationed in San Diego, so I disarm at the PRK border and lock it up with a case and padlock for the remainder off the drive. As I understand, I CAN (and do!)unlock it again at the hotel while I'm in the room.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    A good steak in Flagstaff?
    The best spot is the Horsemen's Lodge up north of town.
    OUTSTANDING cuts of meat! I was there last night.
    I was with a LEO buddy visiting from Colorado, and we both remembered we needed to disarm before going in.

The (stupid and dangerous) AZ law does not require your LE buddy from CO, covered by LEOSA, to disarm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links