A Question About Arizona - Page 3

A Question About Arizona

This is a discussion on A Question About Arizona within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by biasedbulldog Just did this last week driving from Tucson to L.A. If you're on I-10 there's a rest stop a couple miles ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Question About Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    Just did this last week driving from Tucson to L.A. If you're on I-10 there's a rest stop a couple miles east of the border. I believe it's just east of a strip of highway that goes through an Indian reservation where *I believe* (not sure) it's illegal to carry concealed.
    In AZ you can drive through the reservations with your firearm, concealed or not, as long as it's legal in the surrounding county, and as long as you stay on federal and state highways. I'd think CA is the same...

Quote Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
    The (stupid and dangerous) AZ law does not require your LE buddy from CO, covered by LEOSA, to disarm.
    As he explained it, he needed to disarm because he was going to be consuming alcohol. He also said he's required to disarm even in CO to actually have a drink in an eatery there.
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    A good steak in Flagstaff?
    The best spot is the Horsemen's Lodge up north of town.
    OUTSTANDING cuts of meat!
    That IS the best place to get a steak in Flagstaff, I would also recommend it highly. If you are just passing through and want to stop someplace near the highway, go to Black Barts, #2 on my list...IMO
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

They just want to be sure that you can't get at your gun in time to prevent a carjacking or rape or robbery.

Of course not. Some poor thug might get hurt or deprived o his "rights".
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    That IS the best place to get a steak in Flagstaff, I would also recommend it highly. If you are just passing through and want to stop someplace near the highway, go to Black Barts, #2 on my list...IMO
    I'll be spending the night in Flagstaff on the return trip and the Horsemen's Lodge is only a couple of miles from my hotel. Then the next morning we'll try Brandy's Bakery and Restaurant for breakfast! Gotta keep your strength up on long drives like this!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

My son's stationed in San Diego, so I disarm at the PRK border and lock it up with a case and padlock for the remainder off the drive. As I understand, I CAN (and do!)unlock it again at the hotel while I'm in the room.
    San Diego is where I'll be headed to in a couple of weeks. Do you also lock up your ammo? I can't find any requirement to do so, but another person here says it's a good idea to keep some LEOs from getting upset. Don't need any problems! Just want a nice, enjoyable trip!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

In PRK do the magazines need to be unloaded as well?

You do not need to lock up your ammo in CA. The law states that the handgun must be unloaded and in a locked container, specifically NOT a glove box or console. You can keep a loaded magazine inside the locked container with the unloaded pistol. Make sure that you have completely emptied the pistol, including the chamber! If you are driving a truck with a locking bed, that qualifies as a locked container.

If you are stopped for a traffic violation (like speeding across the desert...) and are asked by LEO if you have any firearms in the vehicle, simply state that you do not have anything illegal in the vehicle. Say nothing more. If LEO asks again, repeat the generic answer and ask him bluntly if you are free to go. Unless LEO sees a locked case, ammo boxes, etc., he is just fishing and has no probable cause to search or further detain you. This applies to every state, not just CA. We just seem to be well acquainted with the legal issues due to our rather hostile political climate.

I'd like to caution here that there is a huge amount of FUD regarding CA's laws. Go to Calguns.net for more info specific to CA.

"This applies to every state, not just CA"

I agree with you about the hostile political climate, but some states have laws that specifically require you to volunteer the information that you are armed when stopped by an officer.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    A good steak in Flagstaff?
    The best spot is the Horsemen's Lodge up north of town.
    OUTSTANDING cuts of meat! I was there last night.
    I was with a LEO buddy visiting from Colorado, and we both remembered we needed to disarm before going in.
    There is no restaurant in Flagstaff that jeans would be inappropriate. As a former flagstaff resident, gotta give a big +1 to Horsemen's. Brandy's is good, but a little fru-fru (maybe the girldfriend would like it). If you're in the mood for Italian, try Strombolli's (it's on Milton).
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    You do not need to lock up your ammo in CA. The law states that the handgun must be unloaded and in a locked container, specifically NOT a glove box or console. You can keep a loaded magazine inside the locked container with the unloaded pistol. Make sure that you have completely emptied the pistol, including the chamber! If you are driving a truck with a locking bed, that qualifies as a locked container.

If you are stopped for a traffic violation (like speeding across the desert...) and are asked by LEO if you have any firearms in the vehicle, simply state that you do not have anything illegal in the vehicle. Say nothing more. If LEO asks again, repeat the generic answer and ask him bluntly if you are free to go. Unless LEO sees a locked case, ammo boxes, etc., he is just fishing and has no probable cause to search or further detain you. This applies to every state, not just CA. We just seem to be well acquainted with the legal issues due to our rather hostile political climate.

I'd like to caution here that there is a huge amount of FUD regarding CA's laws. Go to Calguns.net for more info specific to CA.
    Thanks for the information. Since I don't have to lock up my ammo that's one less container to mess with. I was going to lock my magazines up in the case my Sig came in, but since it's says "Sig" in big letters it just screams "gun" to anyone that looks. My Sig will be locked up in my COM safe under the seat and out of sight!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

"This applies to every state, not just CA"

I agree with you about the hostile political climate, but some states have laws that specifically require you to volunteer the information that you are armed when stopped by an officer.
    I'll be armed in every state except CA. Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona all honor my CCL. Unfortunately I won't have time to see the sights in San Diego. As soon as I pick her up we'll be heading back with a stop-over in Flagstaff for the night.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links