A Question About Arizona

A Question About Arizona

This is a discussion on A Question About Arizona within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Next month I'll be driving from Oklahoma to San Diego. Since California doesn't honor my CCL I'll have to stop and disarm myself before I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question A Question About Arizona

Next month I'll be driving from Oklahoma to San Diego. Since California doesn't honor my CCL I'll have to stop and disarm myself before I cross the border, probably in Yuma, AZ.

I'll have to unload my P229 and place it in a COM safe and keep the ammo separate to be legal in Cali.

I know Arizona is an open carry state, but I was wondering if I stop at a truck stop and unholster my weapon to clear it and lock it up if I'd be breaking any brandishing laws or anything like that? I'm going to be as discreet as possible, but just in case someone does spot me...?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I'm not a lawyer, and this certainly isn't legal advice, but from what I know it is considered illegal for you to import your legal to own in your home state magazines to CA.

That means you can't bring a magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds in to CA. As far as disarming, do that before you cross the border in to CA is my advice.

Why anyone would want to go to CA is beyond me.

Biker

There is no brandishing law in AZ. So if you are witnessed, as long as the witness does not feel as if you were threatening ... you should be fine.

I live in AZ. When I went to California I just pulled over to the side of the road and transfered my gun into a case inside the vehicle, then got out and placed it in the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I'm not a lawyer, and this certainly isn't legal advice, but from what I know it is considered illegal for you to import your legal to own in your home state magazines to CA.

That means you can't bring a magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds in to CA. As far as disarming, do that before you cross the border in to CA is my advice.

Why anyone would want to go to CA is beyond me.

Biker
    I've got two 10 round magazines just for the trip. I'm going there to pick up my sweetheart and bring her back to Oklahoma. I don't have time to see the sights, just pick her and her things up and head back here.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Chroode View Post
    I live in AZ. When I went to California I just pulled over to the side of the road and transfered my gun into a case inside the vehicle, then got out and placed it in the trunk.
    Great! Like I said I plan on being very discreet, but didn't want to take any chances.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

TOF
    If you place it in a holster you can then place it any place in your vehicle you wish to and it will not be considered concealed in Arizona.

Enjoy your trip.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    If you place it in a holster you can then place it any place in your vehicle you wish to and it will not be considered concealed in Arizona.

Enjoy your trip.
    My CCL is honored by Arizona, so I'll be carrying concealed until I'm near the CA border. Yuma sits on the border, so I'll take a break there and disarm just before I take off again. When I get back to Yuma I'll stop and arm myself for the rest of the trip.

Speaking of Arizona. On the return trip I plan on spending the night in Flagstaff. Anyone know of any really good places there to eat? Nothing fancy, I'll be wearing jeans and not dressed up!

This will be my first trip through Arizona since 1979! I always liked the looks of Arizona. Lot's of wide open spaces. I like that!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Make sure when you head to CA you put your ammo in a separate locked container. Some CA police are VERY particular about it, and if ammo is accessible they will get very frustrated with you.

In AZ you should be fine. Follow proper safety (i.e. don't cover anyone with your barrel) and you won't have problems. Personally I disarm in the car and then transfer, but you could do it at the trunk and you shouldn't have a problem unless you're parked next to a Californian. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Make sure when you head to CA you put your ammo in a separate locked container. Some CA police are VERY particular about it, and if ammo is accessible they will get very frustrated with you.

In AZ you should be fine. Follow proper safety (i.e. don't cover anyone with your barrel) and you won't have problems. Personally I disarm in the car and then transfer, but you could do it at the trunk and you shouldn't have a problem unless you're parked next to a Californian. :)
    Would locking the magazines in the glove box work? Or is that considered too accessible by CA standards?

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

"I know Arizona is an open carry state, but I was wondering if I stop at a truck stop and unholster my weapon to clear it and lock it up if I'd be breaking any brandishing laws or anything like that? I'm going to be as discreet as possible, but just in case someone does spot me...?"

There is no reason to make anyone nervous seeing you handling your gun. You have infinite opportunities for privacy driving across western AZ. Just do what you need to do out of sight.

Good places to eat in Flag? Do you like Thai or (east) Indian food? If so I'll tell you my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirpy72 View Post
    There is no brandishing law in AZ. So if you are witnessed, as long as the witness does not feel as if you were threatening ... you should be fine.

Recklessly handling or displaying a gun is, of course, illegal in Arizona, and just the sight of someone handling a gun in public might make some people feel threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
    "I know Arizona is an open carry state, but I was wondering if I stop at a truck stop and unholster my weapon to clear it and lock it up if I'd be breaking any brandishing laws or anything like that? I'm going to be as discreet as possible, but just in case someone does spot me...?"

There is no reason to make anyone nervous seeing you handling your gun. You have infinite opportunities for privacy driving across western AZ. Just do what you need to do out of sight.

Good places to eat in Flag? Do you like Thai or (east) Indian food? If so I'll tell you my favorites.
    I like both, but unfortunately as I grow older I find I don't tolorate spicy foods like I used to. Know any places to get a really good steak?

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    I like both, but unfortunately as I grow older I find I don't tolorate spicy foods like I used to. Know any places to get a really good steak?
    Flagstaff Steakhouse Restaurants: Read Flagstaff Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Here you go!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

The Thai place gives you a choice of how you like it, from 1 to 5, 1 being mild, and 5 - they're not kidding about 5! Anyway, Pato Thai is the name. I'm not a big meat eater, but a lot of people like Black Bart's Steakhouse Saloon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links