Taking a gun into MD

This is a discussion on Taking a gun into MD within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our oldest boy will be retireing from the USAF in July. We have been safe keeping his weapons for him for some time being he ...

Thread: Taking a gun into MD

Question Taking a gun into MD

Our oldest boy will be retireing from the USAF in July. We have been safe keeping his weapons for him for some time being he lives in base housing. We will be going back for his retirement and he would like us to bring them with us. He lives in MD how can I transport them to him legally? It is a Win. 375 and a off brand .380 pistrol.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Handgunlaw.us gives the requirements for transporting firearms, however your son needs to see what he needs to do to possess a handgun in MD. I personally can't understand why he would want to retire in MD though.

That is where he is stationed. Bought a house about 2 years ago and is now up side down on the lone.
    he wants to get to TX as soon as he can.

VIP Member
    I would think the first question is whether or not he is able to legally own them in Maryland. If the answer is yes, then ship them through an FFL and let him pick them up at an FFL.

I know you think it is going to be a lot less expensive to drive them up there when you go for the visit. And it will be. But, the laws are so screwy that getting the guns there is really something that can't be done without some unnecessary risk of accidentally violating one of those screwy laws in one of the many states you will travel through, including especially Maryland itself.

If the guns are shipped through an FFL, and your son has a legal right to pick them up from an FFL, then there should be no problem.

I take it your son is around Andrews AFB.

I was Born and raised in PG County, MD, lived there until I retired 7 years ago. You can own guns in MD just can't get an CHP unless you know someone.

I used to transport guns to the range and back all the time. They must be unloaded and cased preferably in the trunk when transporting. Keep ammo separate or better yet let him buy ammo later in MD.

Stay away from DC though and realize that part of 495 is in DC.
    I carry a bible and a gun. Your Point?

Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")

Lead Moderator
    IF they are his weapons, he purchased them, there shold be no problem. Transport according to MD law straight to his residence (staying clear of DC). While Maryland is bad, it's not as bad as NY where you need a "permit" prior to bringing YOUR weapons into the state.

If you send them through an FFL your son will probably have to do all the paperwork, and wait the wait time before they are released to him. If all else fails, check with the Maryland State Police.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links