Relocating to Minneapolis

This is a discussion on Relocating to Minneapolis within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My job is taking me to the great State of Minnesota. I'll be working in downtown Minneapolis and would like some advise on the best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relocating to Minneapolis

Relocating to Minneapolis

My job is taking me to the great State of Minnesota. I'll be working in downtown Minneapolis and would like some advise on the best or most practical way to go about getting my ccw permit there.

I will likely be there by the end of June for training and apartment hunting. I currently have a ccw permit from NC and will still be a "resident" of NC while I sell my house and relocate the wife and pets.

Thanks in advance.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

2. Remove Ads

Minneapolis

First of all don't settle in Ramsey County (St Paul) in that they have a sheriff who is dead set against CCW and has the highest turn down rate in the state. There are a lot of places that offer the CCW class in the area, and once you have the class completed the rest is fairly easy. I am sure there are folks on here that live in the area (I am in Rochester - 80 miles south). But all that said, here is one site - don't have personal experience with their classes, but the book they wrote is the best thing I have ever seen. I am an instructor and all the folks I teach with in Southern Minnesota feel the same way. Give them a call - if their class is half as good as the book you will be well taken care of. Also buy the book - it is available through Amazon or with them directly. Read it and you will be ready before you get here.

Minnesota Tactics: MN Permit to Carry a Firearm (Concealed Carry)

Good luck - welcome to Minnesota
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

VIP Member
    I think MN has pretty good gun laws. With a permit both concealed and open carry is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    My job is taking me to the great State of Minnesota. I'll be working in downtown Minneapolis and would like some advise on the best or most practical way to go about getting my ccw permit there.

I will likely be there by the end of June for training and apartment hunting. I currently have a ccw permit from NC and will still be a "resident" of NC while I sell my house and relocate the wife and pets.

Thanks in advance.
    Welcome to Minnesota!
    speack2u had some very good advice. I'll add a couple of web sites that might help. First is MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Permit to Carry Frequently Asked Questions, And here is the MN statues, https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/...4#stat.624.714, Also here is a MN Forum, twincitiescarry.com :: Index
    Hope this helps,
    TB
    "Guns don’t injure or kill people, I have never seen a court case where a gun was sent to prison instead of the person who used it."
    Unknown

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I am actually visiting downtown Minneapolis right now. Boy oh boy do I see a lot of "no guns on the premises signs" It seems every big building has got one...

best of luck

The postings in MN don't have much for teeth--you first must be asked to leave, then if you don't it's a $25 fine. Of course, I'm not advocating breaking the law, but they are easy to ignore if you know what I mean.

Do start to hang out at twincitiescarry.com :: Index for there's a lot of good folks with helpful info there.

Welcome to Minnesnowta!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

We have some of the best gun laws in the state, and IMHO the finest pro-carry activist community on the planet.

As Jimmy said: twincitiescarry.com :: Index

If you are not a member of TwinCities carry.com forum be sure to signup.

Minneapolis is the armpit of MN. Like every state, the worst part of the state is the biggest city. While you are here you owe it to yourself to get to the North Shore and see Gooseberry Falls, Temperance River, Jay Cooke State Park and other places that make MN the ruby of the north. It's a beautiful state, except for that blight known as Minneapolis.

Feel free to IM me.

If you can, try to live outside of Hennepin County. Hennepin is the most anti county in the state and you'll do well to be there as little as possible. Hennepin = Minneapolis. Yeah, you will see those very ridiculous and useless signs all over downtown Minneapolis. Those are the only places in the state where you will find them. "Bans guns" signs are nothing more than political bumper-stickers, indicating that the business is "with it" when it comes to hip politics.

In the event that you can find ammo (pause for laughs) we have active IDPA and IPSC leagues that shoot both summer and winter. The February (outdoor) IPSC matches are something that everybody needs to experience. We also have 3 gun matches.

EDITED: My oldest son took his permit to carry class at MN Tactics last week and came back with a 1st rate booklet and a 1st rate knowledge of what he needs to know. +1 for that class.

ABOVE ALL - Call it a "Permit to Carry" because the word "conceal" never appears in MN's carry law. The local communist rag (Minneapolis Star-Tribune) always calls it "Conceal and Carry" but this reflects their gross misunderstanding of all things gun related. It's a permit to carry and whether or not you conceal is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by lance22 View Post
    We have some of the best gun laws in the state, and IMHO the finest pro-carry activist community on the planet.

As Jimmy said: twincitiescarry.com :: Index

Minneapolis is the armpit of MN. Like every state, the worst part of the state is the biggest city. While you are here you owe it to yourself to get to the North Shore and see Gooseberry Falls, Temperance River, Jay Cooke State Park and other places that make MN the ruby of the north. It's a beautiful state, except for that blight known as Minneapolis.

Feel free to IM me.

If you can, try to live outside of Hennepin County. Hennepin is the most anti county in the state and you'll do well to be there as little as possible. Hennepin = Minneapolis. Yeah, you will see those very ridiculous and useless signs all over downtown Minneapolis. Those are the only places in the state where you will find them. "Bans guns" signs are nothing more than political bumper-stickers, indicating that the business is "with it" when it comes to hip politics.

. It's a permit to carry and whether or not you conceal is moot.
    Good info except for the Hennipin being the most anti - yes they suck too but Ramsey is the worst - look on page 89 of that book your son got. Ramsey has 643 applicants with 87 denials with the prime reason being dangerous to self or the public. That is 14%. Hennipin and Anoka County are high too so Anoka may be a place to stay clear of.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

In addition to checking out the guns laws, etc....... be sure to buy some Long Johns........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

VIP Member
    When in doubt..............

www.handgunlaw.us/states/minnesota.pdf
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by speak2u View Post
    Good info except for the Hennipin being the most anti - yes they suck too but Ramsey is the worst - look on page 89 of that book your son got. Ramsey has 643 applicants with 87 denials with the prime reason being dangerous to self or the public. That is 14%. Hennipin and Anoka County are high too so Anoka may be a place to stay clear of.
    LOL, we are trying to indict each other's cities. Well, my response to that is if you take a look at the big picture -
    (1) Minneapolis is the place with the moniker "arrest the gun".
    (2) Minneapolis is the place where they have successfully gotten rid of all gun shops due to "zoning violations".
    (3) Minneapolis has the highest concentration of the "bans guns" signs.
    (4) Minneapolis is home to the Star-Tribune.
    (5) In general, Minneapolis is ground-zero for everything politically correct and progressive.

But hey, you are absolutely correct that Ramsey county has the highest rejection rating; which is ironic since neither Ramsey County nor Hennepin County has the most anti sheriff. That honor goes to another place where Admiral Bling rules the roost. But, that's an inside joke that we'll keep to ourselves and our future resident will find out about Admiral Bling, Skogies, and other fine points of MN Carry Lore some time down the road
    Last edited by lance22; June 1st, 2009 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    In addition to checking out the guns laws, etc....... be sure to buy some Long Johns........
    x2 on that one. That first -30 day gets your attention!

Welcome to MN. I found the permit process a piece of cake. But I used to live in NYC....
    Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude - Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    ...and a snowblower!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Boy, are you in for a culture shock! A good friend of mine moved to Burnsville from VA a few years ago and he still laughs about it.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

I live in Woodbury (other side of St. Paul) - work in downtown Minneapolis.

I took my p2c class from the MN Tactics guys at Bill's North - was a good experience. Another good website to check out is MNGunTalk.com • Portal -

Best of luck!
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links