Gotta Carry Question

Gotta Carry Question

This is a discussion on Gotta Carry Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day the wife and I went to a local restaurant. In NM we are not allowed to carry into any place that serves ...

Thread: Gotta Carry Question

Gotta Carry Question

The other day the wife and I went to a local restaurant. In NM we are not allowed to carry into any place that serves booze for consumption on the premises. We met there, her in the car and I showed up on my Harley. Didn't have much choice but to simply take out the Glock G23 in the parking lot and lock it in the saddlebag. BTW I made sure we were seated where I could see the bike. Thing is, they have dining on the front porch and I had to unholster and reholster in front of them. I was as discreet as possible but felt funny about it. NM is an open carry state so no laws were broken here. Should I just blow off any stares and do what I gotta do?

What say you?

Thanks,

PS... The funny thing is that if I parked where the diners couldn't see me then I wouldn't have been able to keep an eye on the Harley.
    Last edited by johnsonabq; June 1st, 2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: More info.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

VIP Member
    Under those circumstances, I would have never stowed the gun on the scooter. This was especially risky since onlookers observed you doing so. I guess you can surmise as to what I would have done.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Under those circumstances, I would have never stowed the gun on the scooter. This was especially risky since onlookers observed you doing so. I guess you can surmise as to what I would have done.
    Regards,
    I guess you refer to putting it in the wife's car. In that instance yes, you're right. But in a greater sense there are lots of times when I don't have that option. What then? I ride the Harley more than any car.

Do I go find some place to hide and stash the gun?

Do I not carry?

Do I not ride the Harley?

I'm not fond of any of those.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post
    I guess you refer to putting it in the wife's car. In that instance yes, you're right. But in a greater sense there are lots of times when I don't have that option. What then? I ride the Harley more than any car.
    I'm not sure that's what he's getting at.

You may consider driving around to the back of the retaurant then unholstering and locking it in your saddlebag the cruising back around to the front to park. Not as blatant and it's not out of the ordinary for someone to cruise around looking for a better parking spot or looking for someone they're meeting so it wouldn't raise any eyebrows.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

As for FL. no OC But I drive a truck, AS for a bike there is way to un arm & not be seen
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I'm a Harley rider myself and I've faced the same thing. How I handled it was to pull around the back out of sight, make the switch and keep the bike in your view. I did have s situation where the bike was out of my sight and honestly... I went and got it and kept it on me.
    "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop"

If you get stuck in a situation where the bike needs to be left out of sight, stop somewhere discrete and if carrying a semi auto unholster it and slip it inside the saddlebag. Then strip the mag and slide and leave them in the bag but take the frame with you.

It seems the consensus is to find an out of the way place (hide) and stash the gun. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes not. One of the first times I carried while riding we went to Madrid, NM where they filmed Wild Hogs and the place was so crowded I literally had to ride out of town and pull over to the side of the road in order to put the Glock in the saddlebag. But I guess if that's what I have to do so be it.

Just for the record... I don't think anyone on the porch really saw anything. But I do think a couple who just happened to drive by in a pickup might have. Like I said I tried to be discreet.

Maybe this next year the restaurant carry bill will pass.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have had to do the same thing while riding. I usually stash it before I arrive.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Hmm, I don't think it's a problem if you sit where you can see the bike. I also don't think anyone is going to stare at you while you get off your bike. Especially if you are mindful and discrete, I doubt anyone would have any idea whatsoever what you were doing. Just my thoughts.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Lead Moderator
    A company makes a lockable case that mounts to a bike. I cannot remember which member here uses it, but they suggest crouching down as if checking something on the bike while transferring the gun to the case.
    herehttp://www.sandssalesco.com/
    You may want to use the covered version for better concealment.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    A company makes a lockable case that mounts to a bike. I cannot remember which member here uses it, but they suggest crouching down as if checking something on the bike while transferring the gun to the case.
    herehttp://www.sandssalesco.com/
    You may want to use the covered version for better concealment.
    I do have a hand towel that I keep on the bike and have used it to wrap the gun in as soon as I remove it and lock it in the saddlebag. Works well, I think your idea of crouching next to the bike like I'm checking something is a good one. It would afford some cover during the transfer.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

I was in Santa Fe just last week & I enjoyed a few of the restaurants (I really liked La Choza.)

I obeyed the law & went in unarmed. Each time however, I put my EDC into the COM car safe before I arrived at the restaurant but I didn't lock it until I actually arrived.

This maneuver, done from a car was quite unnoticeable. I would suppose that you could have put your EDC into your saddle bags and left them unlocked until you reached the restaurant and then just locked the saddle bag when you arrived no?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonabq View Post

Do I go find some place to hide and stash the gun?

Do I not carry?

Do I not ride the Harley?

I'm not fond of any of those.
    Boy, am I glad I don't have those options to ponder.

What I used to do, back when I had a CCW Permit and was on my scoot was put the gun in my Tank Bag. It rode there, the gun, as I was riding to a place where I couldn't carry. When I got to the place I would padlock the Tank Bag shut and carry it with me in to the restaurant.

By doing so I believed that I followed the spirit, if not the letter, of the law. The gun was inaccessable and in a locked container. I just made sure my wallet or anything I may need, besides the gun, was out of the Tank Bag before going in to eat.

This is certainly not legal advice, and I don't even know if it was legal or illegal doing it in the manner I did. I do know that I was attempting to follow the law and since my mode of transportation wasn't as secure as a car or truck I was doing what I felt was in the best interest of safety and society.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Boy, am I glad I don't have those options to ponder.

What I used to do, back when I had a CCW Permit and was on my scoot was put the gun in my Tank Bag. It rode there, the gun, as I was riding to a place where I couldn't carry. When I got to the place I would padlock the Tank Bag shut and carry it with me in to the restaurant.

By doing so I believed that I followed the spirit, if not the letter, of the law. The gun was inaccessable and in a locked container. I just made sure my wallet or anything I may need, besides the gun, was out of the Tank Bag before going in to eat.

This is certainly not legal advice, and I don't even know if it was legal or illegal doing it in the manner I did. I do know that I was attempting to follow the law and since my mode of transportation wasn't as secure as a car or truck I was doing what I felt was in the best interest of safety and society.

Biker
    Unfortunately Biker in NM if I take my gun into an establishment that sells liquor for consumption on the premises I have committed a fourth degree felony. Locked in a container or not, loaded or unloaded. I can't take the chance of jeopardizing my DOD clearance like that. We are trying to change the law for restaurants and it almost passed this year. Maybe next.

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    I was in Santa Fe just last week & I enjoyed a few of the restaurants (I really liked La Choza.)

I obeyed the law & went in unarmed. Each time however, I put my EDC into the COM car safe before I arrived at the restaurant but I didn't lock it until I actually arrived.
    This time yes, I wasn't thinking and I should have slipped in my wife's car and popped the Glock into the glove box and locked it. But this was the exception. I/we are usually on just the bike.

It seems that if I'm on the bike with the gun IWB I will have to find a place where I can transfer unseen into the saddlebags. At least they are the hard lockable kind. A little more thinking ahead and planning should help. Another carry option I use is a thigh pack from Sabergear. This does enable me to remove the whole thing with gun inside and lock it up. Just put my wallet and cell into my jeans and go. I had a fanny pack but it doesn't fit the G23 very well. (A little small.)

Thanks guys, I think I better see how to deal with this situation now. I've only had my permit for less than a month and am still learning the fine points of carrying concealed.

Stay safe!

PS... Saber, I just reread my response to your post and I apologize if I came off sarcastic. Not intended.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Sponsored Links