Defensive Carry banner

Attn: Fellow cold weather carriers...

2K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  Rugergirl 
#1 ·
I realize I am out of season with this question but here it goes anyway. My work place states no weapons in the employee handbook, plus my work takes me to universities, hospitals, etc. so the ALWAYS carry, never tell is a pretty dicey gamble. Plus I really like my job and with the current market, well you know. Anyway, I don't like not having my gun with me while driving too and from work, so I am going to start carrying to work and locking it in a lock box in my car while I am at work. Now during the summer this is fine, but I am worried about during the winter. I am worried that my gun after sitting outside at -20 weather, then being brought indoors at home will condense and rust the poor thing out. What do you guys do? Would I have to tear the thing totally apart once a week and oil the snot out of it or what? Thoughts please.

#30 ·
Get some silica gel packets, keep one in the car safe, a couple in the home safe and if you put the gun in a baggie to warm up, slip one in there too.
Wipe the gun down daily with a silicone treated cloth when it's warmed up and you know it's dry.
I clean my carry gun once a week, even if I haven't been to the range to fire it. Just a quick wipe down to get rid of any lint that accumulates from your clothing and in the holster, and a light lube is enough. Clean the holster too, I treat mine to a few swipes with a bottle brush to keep any dust or lint from building up inside.
I am a clean freak when it comes to my firearms, hubby says if I suddenly kept house the same way he'd think he was in the wrong place.:blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.