Defensive Carry banner

Attn: Fellow cold weather carriers...

2K views 29 replies 24 participants last post by  Rugergirl 
#1 ·
I realize I am out of season with this question but here it goes anyway. My work place states no weapons in the employee handbook, plus my work takes me to universities, hospitals, etc. so the ALWAYS carry, never tell is a pretty dicey gamble. Plus I really like my job and with the current market, well you know. Anyway, I don't like not having my gun with me while driving too and from work, so I am going to start carrying to work and locking it in a lock box in my car while I am at work. Now during the summer this is fine, but I am worried about during the winter. I am worried that my gun after sitting outside at -20 weather, then being brought indoors at home will condense and rust the poor thing out. What do you guys do? Would I have to tear the thing totally apart once a week and oil the snot out of it or what? Thoughts please.

#4 ·
At -20 I would proabably use a dry lube, like graphite. You'll still have to pay attention so that the gun will go "bang" if you need it to instead of "click".

You can't just let it go. I have seen guns that stayed in cars and even in cases rust up to the point of being useless.

It's going to be something that you will always pay attention to.

#5 ·
In cold weather, in the situation you described, I'd use a good silicone or teflon based lube on it, it will help displace moisture. Also let your gun warm slowly to help minimize condensation. You might also want to invest in desiccant crystals to help absorb moisture when you bring your gun inside. When they have absorbed all the moisture they will hold, they can be placed in the oven to "bake" the moisture out of them, allowing them to be used again and again.

#6 ·
Condensation will happen when the gun is exposed to sudden temperature changes. The cold gun cools the warm air causing moisture to condense.

Do what photographers do. Put it in something that is the same temperature as the gun (keep this in your car so it's cold as well). It could be something like a gear bag or even a t-shirt wrapped around it. Anything that will help insulate the gun and let it heat up more slowly, eliminating condensation.

#8 ·
Carry a pistol with a good finish and oil it once in a while. I found my HK does just fine with cold weather and temp changes.

#11 ·
Now I'll go along with that! That's a mighty fine answer. Glocks simply love the cold arctic weather. Condensation? Some of my Glocks have been in the shower with me.

#13 ·
I dealt with the same issues with woodworking tools in the garage. Minimizing the speed of temperature changes is key. You would do just fine by storing it in a box lined with foam, and don't take it out as soon as you get home.

#14 ·
a photographer told me a little known trick (maybe not)

carry a zip-lock bag in your pocket (obviously big enough for "the object" :image035:) when you get home take your gun and put it in the zip-lock and seal it. Take the package in the house, The gun will heat up but moisture can't condense ON the weapon. After 10 or 15 minutes you should be good to go and if you should happen to need the gun just grab it shoot through the plastic.

I have tried this with a camera and it seems to work just fine. I never worried about it with a gun because I maintain the heck out of my firearms (my wife thinks I'm obsessive, I think she's imagining things:yup:)

One other thing you should probably be aware of, the heat coming from your car heater has less moisture in it than the Sahara, so just warming the gun up in your car should be fine

#20 ·
First off, I am a S&W J-Frame in the pocket kind of guy.

But I keep one Semi-Auto just because of its weather proofing. I have a Glock 23 because I previously had a Glock 22 that went up into a tornado when the storm took my house. we found the Glock surfacing in my field 3 months later after a rainstorm. It had been buried by the storm. Took it apart, washed it, lubed it and then proceeded to fire 200 rounds through it without a hitch.

When I started carrying with a HCP, I traded in the G22 for a 3rd Gen G23 so it would be easier to carry. I save it for when the weather turns really nasty or I get involved in something in the field.

They aren't pretty but they darn sure are weatherproof! If it can survive a tornado and being buried for 3 months I don't think you have to worry about what happens in your trunk!

#22 ·
I have to admit I am pretty rough on my H&K in general. Florida carry is unforgiving. Heat and sweat is an everyday issue much like your cold weather issues.

I constantly clean it and keep is sufficiently oiled and wiped. So far so good. Wrapping it in cloth is a great and easy way to prevent condensation........so are those silica dry packs if you can find them

#28 ·
This little trick works good for cameras and other objects. Take a plastic zip lock bag with you. Before you go inside put you pistol inside of it. The condensation will form on the outside of the bag.

#29 ·
Thanks guys, all very good insite. I will just keep a gallon zip-lock bag in the car and seal the gun in it before I come into the house. I'll just have to remember to wear an undershirt cause putting my gun on after sitting outside all day will be a wee bit chilly!;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.