Attn: Fellow cold weather carriers...

This is a discussion on Attn: Fellow cold weather carriers... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize I am out of season with this question but here it goes anyway. My work place states no weapons in the employee handbook, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I realize I am out of season with this question but here it goes anyway. My work place states no weapons in the employee handbook, plus my work takes me to universities, hospitals, etc. so the ALWAYS carry, never tell is a pretty dicey gamble. Plus I really like my job and with the current market, well you know. Anyway, I don't like not having my gun with me while driving too and from work, so I am going to start carrying to work and locking it in a lock box in my car while I am at work. Now during the summer this is fine, but I am worried about during the winter. I am worried that my gun after sitting outside at -20 weather, then being brought indoors at home will condense and rust the poor thing out. What do you guys do? Would I have to tear the thing totally apart once a week and oil the snot out of it or what? Thoughts please.

Senior Moderator
    Wipe it down everyday when you bring it home.

Waxing the gun will help somewhat.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

For the outside yes, but what do I do about the interior parts? Like firing pins, trigger spring bars, etc. I carry a SA 3" micro compact btw.

Senior Moderator
    At -20 I would proabably use a dry lube, like graphite. You'll still have to pay attention so that the gun will go "bang" if you need it to instead of "click".

You can't just let it go. I have seen guns that stayed in cars and even in cases rust up to the point of being useless.

It's going to be something that you will always pay attention to.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    In cold weather, in the situation you described, I'd use a good silicone or teflon based lube on it, it will help displace moisture. Also let your gun warm slowly to help minimize condensation. You might also want to invest in desiccant crystals to help absorb moisture when you bring your gun inside. When they have absorbed all the moisture they will hold, they can be placed in the oven to "bake" the moisture out of them, allowing them to be used again and again.

Condensation will happen when the gun is exposed to sudden temperature changes. The cold gun cools the warm air causing moisture to condense.

Do what photographers do. Put it in something that is the same temperature as the gun (keep this in your car so it's cold as well). It could be something like a gear bag or even a t-shirt wrapped around it. Anything that will help insulate the gun and let it heat up more slowly, eliminating condensation.

Very interesting ideas about slow re-warming. Thanks and keep them coming guys! I suppose I could try to figure out some kind of insulated container to keep it in when in the car, that would probably help some also.

Lead Moderator
    Carry a pistol with a good finish and oil it once in a while. I found my HK does just fine with cold weather and temp changes.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Some pistols are definatley better than others. The finish on the HK seems to be immune to rust if you pay just a little attention to it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Glock :)

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Glock :)
    Now I'll go along with that! That's a mighty fine answer. Glocks simply love the cold arctic weather. Condensation? Some of my Glocks have been in the shower with me.

I also have a S&W M&P9c, suppose I could switch to that during the cold season.

I dealt with the same issues with woodworking tools in the garage. Minimizing the speed of temperature changes is key. You would do just fine by storing it in a box lined with foam, and don't take it out as soon as you get home.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

a photographer told me a little known trick (maybe not)

carry a zip-lock bag in your pocket (obviously big enough for "the object" ) when you get home take your gun and put it in the zip-lock and seal it. Take the package in the house, The gun will heat up but moisture can't condense ON the weapon. After 10 or 15 minutes you should be good to go and if you should happen to need the gun just grab it shoot through the plastic.

I have tried this with a camera and it seems to work just fine. I never worried about it with a gun because I maintain the heck out of my firearms (my wife thinks I'm obsessive, I think she's imagining things)

One other thing you should probably be aware of, the heat coming from your car heater has less moisture in it than the Sahara, so just warming the gun up in your car should be fine
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Once a week I clean my gun (needless or not) and apply a thin coat of oil. Just a drop or two on my finger and rub it all over any metal parts. This will keep it from rusting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links