Moving to CA?

This is a discussion on Moving to CA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my wife's grandfather has willed us a VERY nice house in San Diego, this house is LOADED! 6 beds, 4 bath with a pool, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to CA?

Moving to CA?

So my wife's grandfather has willed us a VERY nice house in San Diego, this house is LOADED! 6 beds, 4 bath with a pool, and maids apartment. On water front property. Its a dream come true!!

Now, I havent been to California since my Marine Corps days and I dont see many members on here from CA. That leads me to believe that concealed carry must either be very strict or non-existant. I know that guns are very controled in CA, but how controled?

I told my wife that we wont move if I have to get rid of my guns or stop carrying. We will sell the house and use the money to buy one up here in WA! That didnt go over well.

I tried looking up the laws on the provided link but it was broken. So I dont know, anyone have any advice or know about the laws in CA?

This puts me in a very bad place if I cant CC.

2. Remove Ads

Edited: I didn't read your post carefully enough the first time. Sorry to say, but San Diego will not issue concealed carry permits to regular citizens. If you are an attorney, a jeweler, a private investigator or a bounty hunter you might manage to get one.

Avenger,

The chief of police and/or county sheriff has complete discretion in the issuance of a concealed carry permit. Some counties such as Kern or Humboldt are shall issue while others such as L.A. and Sacramento will issue only to celebrities political donors or various government denizens (prosecutors, judges etc.). I recommend visiting calguns.net.

Chances are, any evil black rifles you might own are illegal as presently configured and possibly banned altogether. Handguns are limited to those on a roster which may be viewed here

Good luck.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    San Diego home? Dang, it sounds like you really died and went to Heaven! I agree with your wife so don’t sell it! Being 45-years old or younger, you would be unwise not to hang on to that place.

Ok, I was with the SDSO a long time ago, although I believe the CC issue is still pretty much the same. The Sheriff decides whether you get a permit. You must articulate your need very carefully and be aware that fear for your life or family members isn’t considered just cause. Yeah I know, welcome to California. I recommend that you join a local gun club, attend a course, and ask a lot of questions before submitting a request for a permit. In fact, don’t even bother applying soon after you arrive because you must be there a while before they’ll even look at it.

As for your guns in general, check out the website for restricted weapons, but for the most part, you should be fine.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

California doesn't recognize ANY other state's CCW. So, you'll have to become a resident here if you want to apply for a permit. Open carry is possible but there are hoops (aren't there always?) you need to jump through and limitations you need to know about and obey. California does NOT issue non-resident permits.

CCW here is limited in the more populated areas. San Diego does not have a liberal permit sheriff so you WILL need "good cause" in order to get a permit. Most of the inland counties are more generous with their permit issuance however, it IS possible to get a CCW permit in the other counties.

And, regardless of what some others will say, CCW in California is possible and guns are not as controlled as in other states. There are limitations but (in actuality) fewer limitations than in some other states which are touted as being "free." (Texas and Florida being good examples because OC is NOT allowed in either but it allowed here. Some other states restrict carry in Church or the bank, neither is off limits here. No ammo ban for hollow points either.)

Before bringing guns into the state you should ask on this forum as well as on Calguns.net for specifics regarding certain mil style weapons and magazine capacity for handguns. You will also need to register handguns with the Dept of Justice if you decide to move here and become a resident. $19 per handgun. Long guns are not required to be registered and no permit is required to own or possess firearms or buy ammo.

As far as selling the San Diego place, there are LOTS of other places in the state which are more CCW friendly, cheaper to buy/maintain a home in, are just as pretty, have just as much stuff to do to keep you occupied, and have BETTER weather (both political and temperature). Not that there's anything wrong with San Diego, it's just not my cup of tea and I would not choose to live there again. I guess that means that my opinion on the place is a bit biased.

Can I have your wife and her house when she kicks you to Kansas?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

OK, I'm in San Diego and a lifelong CA resident. CA gun laws are ready to change big time in the next year or so. A pair of major CCW lawsuits have already been filed. The "safe handgun roster" is also headed into the courts. Our AWB is manageable until it too sees the inside of a court, later this year.

For now, your ARs will need to be using 10-rd mags and you'll need to install Bullet Buttons on each lower. Other than that, you're probably OK. If your lowers are listed on the Kasler list (when our Dept. of Justice was still allowed to list specific makes and models), those might be "legally challenged." Changing lowers is a pain but doable.

A couple of major points: First, think money. The house she inherited from her grandfather is passed down with Proposition 13 intact. That means if it was purchased back to 1978, the property taxes are limited to 1% per year increase. For those of you in states with heavy property taxes, this is HUGE! While the house might be worth more than $2M, if he bought it pre-real estate boom, he may have spent less than $200K. You would now have a property tax bill less than that of a $400K house! Literally "Grandfathered" in! If you do sell, your capital gains is based off the current market value of the house. The market today will not get you top dollar but then you won't find that anywhere else either.

Once you live in SD for a bit, you'll understand why we stick it out. The weather here smokes anywhere else in the USA. For the next few days, we can't see the sun and suffer in mid-60 highs and lows. By the weekend, our "May gray" and "June gloom" will have broken and blue skies again. You have desert and long-range shooting within an hour's drive, off-roading, SCUBA, surfing, boating, animal parks and a whole lot more.

CCW right now in SD requires either self-employment (or business-related), being an attorney/judge/doctor/etc., or personally threatened. The lawsuits in action already will soon get court dates. Either lawsuit has a good chance of prevailing since the current system just begs corruption. The lawyers have done a good job of documenting that in the filings. If you can deal with it for a while, it will be worth the wait. Unloaded open carry is (technically) legal but may not be worth the hassle. I'd wait it out and enjoy the scenery until things change.

Your best reference today is Calguns.net. Go there!

All good info posted here:
    • Ten rnd Mags Only!
    • a lot so called Assault Weapons banned.
    • Banned handguns (ones not on the DOJ list) CAN be brought into CA but may only be re-sold to a LEO
    • You must have a 'Good Cause' for obtaining a CCW, which is at sheriff's descretion.
    • I think SD county has a pro 2A guy running for sheriff in the next election. I don't know his chances.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I like my freedom too much to ever go back to California. I would sell and buy something twice as good in another state or just call it a vacation home and visit every now and then, but living there, no thank you.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

You won't be happy here if you're coming from one of the free states. Trust me.....I moved here from Utah and can't wait to get back.
    If your wife is like mine, it might be better to not use the CCW issue as a reason to not move here. If the house is paid off I would consider renting it out (use a management company). If you want to buy another house where you are, take enough equity out of the San Diego house to get you into a nice house and sit it out until the market creeps back up or you decide to move to San Diego. If it's really beachfront property it's gotta be worth 750k or more even in this recession.

Visit, maybe, but live there?? No way would I move to CA. Rent the house or sell it, but I would not move to CA, just because I inherited a house. Sure, great weather perhaps, but at a price. Earthquakes, mudslides, wildfires, GANGS, liberal politicians, illegal immigrants, broke government, fruits, nuts and other unpleasant things.Not to mention their attitude towards guns and gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Visit, maybe, but live there?? No way would I move to CA. Rent the house or sell it, but I would not move to CA, just because I inherited a house. Sure, great weather perhaps, but at a price. Earthquakes, mudslides, wildfires, GANGS, liberal politicians, illegal immigrants, broke government, fruits, nuts and other unpleasant things.Not to mention their attitude towards guns and gun owners.
    Because we all know there are no gangs, liberal politicians or illegal immigrants in Florida .

Unlike much of the rest of the country, there are few natural disasters here, virtually all of them are man made: fire, building your house on a ridge with millions of pounds of mature chaparral below you is a disaster waiting to happen; mudslides, building your house at the base of a slope that will be denuded when the next wildfire comes through is a disaster waiting to happen. As far as earthquakes: Floridians are several times more likely to be struck by lightning than a Californian is to be injured or killed by an earthquake even when at the epicenter of said earthquake.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Not to get off track but what are bullet buttons? I have never heard of the term.
    I really liked San Diego. Thought about staying there when I got out of the Corps. Glad I didn't now.
    I don't even like to visit there.
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    +1 on Rivers post. Especially the financial considerations.

Bullet Buttons...It's a California thing you wouldn't understand. No seriously, they are a mod on the AR lower that requires a "tool" to release the mag to prevent rapid reloads. The tool of choice is usually just the tip of a bullet.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

FL has it's problems , BUT CA has MANY more. Been there, glad I left.
    Last edited by sass20485; June 2nd, 2009 at 04:45 PM.

They're leaving in herds and settling here in Arizona with their overbearing attitudes. Forget the fence on the south border, we need one to keep Californians home!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links