No weapons allowed signs

This is a discussion on No weapons allowed signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are alot of posts related to the "no gun signs". Many feel businesses post the signs to keep out criminals. Personally, I feel most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No weapons allowed signs

VIP Member

No weapons allowed signs

There are alot of posts related to the "no gun signs". Many feel businesses post the signs to keep out criminals. Personally, I feel most of them are put up to keep "us" out. Some antis look at us as hair trigger gun toters and are just plain afraid of us, and some put us in the same category as crminals. I'm sure some do put them up to keep out the BG's. But any of the businesses I've talked to, say they dont want anyone carrying a gun in thier business because they might get mad and "go off", meaning legal carriers.
    How many on here really feel the signs are put up to keep out criminals?
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

2. Remove Ads

Feelings and beliefs are immaterial.
    Your state law is what counts, because your state law can get you tossed in the clink and your concealed license revoked, permanently.
    Some states -- like my native Ohio -- make it a felony to knowingly carry into a posted area.
    Other states don't make it a felony; it may simply be misdemeanor trespass.
    Consult your state's attorney general and proceed from a basis of fact, not feeling.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    Feelings and beliefs are immaterial.
    Your state law is what counts, because your state law can get you tossed in the clink and your concealed license revoked, permanently.
    Some states -- like my native Ohio -- make it a felony to knowingly carry into a posted area.
    Other states don't make it a felony; it may simply be misdemeanor trespass.
    Consult your state's attorney general and proceed from a basis of fact, not feeling.
    How can feelings and beliefs be immaterial? A business owner puts up a sign because of their belief. They either believe it will keep out the BG's or they see us as the threat. Your post misses the entire point.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

no guns

They view guns as evil and don't want them around. If they were intent on keeping criminals away, they'd post a "NO CRIMINALS ALLOWED" sign. That would be much more effective, for as we know, simply posting a sign is a sure way to avoid whatever you wish to keep away with the sign.

The group of friends/handgun owners I hang out with will refuse to do business with these type of establishments. No guns = no money! Also there are sites on the web dedicated to listing such places. I feel very lucky that in the State of Pennsylvania that these signs != to the law (not including known prohibited areas of course, courthouse, schools ect). All the owner/employee can do is ask you to leave if you are discovered carrying and then you must comply or face trespassing charges.

Fess

Personally, I think that business owners put up "No Guns" signs because they live with the illusion that criminals will actually abide by the sign. Criminals do not abide by laws, that makes them criminals in the first place. Some people have a heightend fear of firearms because they do not understand them or the law abiding folks who own and use them. They consider all firearm owners gun nuts so therefore, anyone who possesses them are a threat. So make it a rule to not go where you are not welcome. I do.

If you don't like the sign, take your business elsewhere because it isn't worth it to argue the point. People against and fearful of firearms will never "get it". The business owner obviously only wants Sheeple and Criminals in the place.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Because of the statute in SC that defines what a sign should look like, Id like to think the stores have them up to deter criminals.

I know its a long shot but Im hoping that the store knows its sign is illegal and that CWP holders know this and walk on in. Stupid criminals may be deterred by the sign.

Im just being hopeful. I fully suspect that posted signs are just an attempt to keep ALL guns out.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I'd be willing to bet that most business owners have not even given that much thought as to who they are trying to keep out. They are simply reflecting that societal belief that "GUNS=BAD." So, lets be ready, willing, and able to educate those in society on the responsible use of guns!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I think that most store owners don't put a lot of thought into it. They think guns = evil so I should put up a sign even though it won't stop anything. They don't know anything about us "good guys" only that guns are used by bad guys. Here in MN they don't even post the signs in a legal manner for the most part.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Posted signs pertaining to the dis-allowance of firearms, concealed carry, or the universal pistol with slash through it mean only one thing......they or that place of business is against you, what you stand for, your morals, and your values, and against the United States of America and it's constitution no matter how they are worded, and no matter if the posting is legally defined in your state law or not. plain and simple. These postings are not intended for criminals nor to deter criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Posted signs pertaining to the dis-allowance of firearms, concealed carry, or the universal pistol with slash through it mean only one thing......they or that place of business is against you, what you stand for, your morals, and your values, and against the United States of America and it's constitution no matter how they are worded, and no matter if the posting is legally defined in your state law or not. plain and simple. These postings are not intended for criminals nor to deter criminals.

I'm with you on that one. Sign = get out I don't want you.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

VIP Member
    For the most part I think these store owners are somewhat ignorant while others think that they are mitigating liability.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

MJK
    Any corporate retail establishment that posts these signs has made a corporate decision to create an environment which is less safe for everyone. I assume the decision to post is made by executive management with the blessing of the board, thus promulgating official corporate policy.

Fine.

I'll take my business elsewhere and leave a calling card:

"I have noticed your sign and will respect your wishes BY DOING BUSINESS ELSEWHERE!

NO CCW = NO $$$."

VIP Member
    The signs are put up to keep lawful gun owners from carrying there. It's a know fact that criminals have no intention of obeying the law. Any one naive enough to think a criminal is going to obey the sign needs to pull their head out of the sand and start living in the real world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links