CCW at Cabelas

CCW at Cabelas

This is a discussion on CCW at Cabelas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past week, we were visiting family in Omaha, Nebraska, and visited the new Cabelas store nearby. I was kinda rushed for time, but when ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CCW at Cabelas

CCW at Cabelas

This past week, we were visiting family in Omaha, Nebraska, and visited the new Cabelas store nearby. I was kinda rushed for time, but when going thru the front door, there was a notice, about carrying guns, in for sale, trade, or repair, then below this was another statement about CCW's. I read it, the re-read it, and it kinda appeared to me to be like a dog chasing his tail. One statement, contradicting another.
    Does anyone know for sure, exactly what they are trying to convey to the public? I'd appreciate any information.

I don't know what those signs in that Cabela's say, but at our local Cabela's my interpretation of the sign is that firearms brought in for sale, trade, or repair must be unloaded and cased, and that those rules don't apply to CCW weapons being carried concealed.

In other words, CCW is welcome, all other firearms unloaded and cased.

But, again, that's at the Cabela's here.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

If you are going to be handling your weapon unload it before going in and check with the desk.
    If not keep it in your holster.
    It is not that complicated. No flame intended.
    Semper Fi

cabela's

I was at the Cabela's Maine store this week.
    I was in and out several times and saw no sign.
    I know the Gander Mtn. store in upstate N.Y.. Has the same sign, I took it to read that legal carry is o.k..

They don't have a problem with CHL carriers in Fort Worth....the sign I read seemed that they support it. Unlicesned carry is a different story.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Bass Pro Shop in Spanish Fort, Alabama has a sign that doesn't go into detail about why you would be bringing it in - but says something about firearms or weapons not allowed beyond this point - I don't really remember what the sign says exactly - haven't thought about it till I read this post.
    For God, Family and Country!

gander mountain in fl has a sign at the door about bringing weapons in to go to cs counter first (for sale,repair,est,etc) then under that says ccw do not have to go to cs i know its a differant store than cabelas but maybe this will help

Our Gander Mountain in NY has a similar sign, something like this:

"All firearms must be checked at the Customer Service counter. This does not apply to Concealed Carry License Holders"
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Our Gander Mountain in NY has a similar sign, something like this:

"All firearms must be checked at the Customer Service counter. This does not apply to Concealed Carry License Holders"
    if i am not mistaken thats what the one in KC Kansas says. There was a guy that brought a pistol in and at the counter a store associate tag it and carried it, and walked with him to the gun counter.

i also think it has to do with those that are bringing their firearms in for repair etc. and would be handling. jmho

VIP Member
    Similar sign at the Bass Pro in Phoenix. I asked the greeter about it. She phoned upstairs and came back that it didn't apply to permit holders. I did have to "make a trip to the car" before having dinner in their licensed establishment though.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Cabela's in Baton Rouge has that sign too. It refers to firearms being brought in to sell/trade/repair.They just want to see they are not loaded. I just walked by the desk and smiled at the nice lady.

Stores

I spend a lot of time in the local Gander Mountain - enough so that they know me. One time I was bringing in a firearm for repair and had it in a case - new guy on the front door - stops me and says "there a gun in there?" Yes says I - have to tag it and see if it is unloaded - yes says I it is unloaded but the one on my belt isn't..... oh you have a permit sir....sorry.... ok go ahead.

The guys at the gun counter had a good laugh about that -
    Last edited by gunshrink; June 2nd, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

I don't remember seeing any of those type signs at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Grand Junction, CO but, they would like you to bring any guns you are carrying (not CCWing) into the store to the customer service desk before proceeding any further.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
    This past week, we were visiting family in Omaha, Nebraska, and visited the new Cabelas store nearby. I was kinda rushed for time, but when going thru the front door, there was a notice, about carrying guns, in for sale, trade, or repair, then below this was another statement about CCW's. I read it, the re-read it, and it kinda appeared to me to be like a dog chasing his tail. One statement, contradicting another.
    Does anyone know for sure, exactly what they are trying to convey to the public? I'd appreciate any information.
    Found this on another forum:

Customer Open-Carry and Concealed-Carry of Pistols and Revolvers in Cabela’s Retail Stores

Cabela’s company policies are intended to be aligned with applicable federal, state and local laws. Accordingly, each store location has adopted policies to comply with the laws governing the state, county and city in which the store is located.

With respect to the issue of open-carry and concealed-carry of firearms by customers – it is Cabela’s general policy to allow customers to carry a pistol or revolver within Cabela’s stores if the customer is permitted to do so in accordance with applicable law; provided such firearm remains safely holstered while the customer is on Cabela’s property, and the activities of the customer do not raise safety concerns or otherwise interfere with Cabela’s business activities.

If a customer brings a firearm on Cabela’s property for purposes of repair, appraisal, evaluation, sale or any other purpose that will require the customer or someone else to handle the firearm or remove the firearm from a holster, the firearm must be checked in with store personnel, safely unloaded and fitted with a trigger lock.

Cabela’s supports responsible gun ownership and is committed to providing a safe family shopping environment. Accordingly, Cabela’s reserves the right to implement firearm safety procedures within its stores as Cabela’s deems appropriate.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Joe Arterburn
    Corporate Communications Manager
    Cabela's Inc.
    One Cabela Drive
    Sidney, NE 69160

joe.arterburn@cabelas.com

308-255-1204

Same in MN stores.

Quote Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
    I don't know what those signs in that Cabela's say, but at our local Cabela's my interpretation of the sign is that firearms brought in for sale, trade, or repair must be unloaded and cased, and that those rules don't apply to CCW weapons being carried concealed.

In other words, CCW is welcome, all other firearms unloaded and cased.

But, again, that's at the Cabela's here.
    Same here in MN.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links