Moved within NC

Moved within NC

This is a discussion on Moved within NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I got a quick question. I moved within North Carolina and misunderstood the rules. I guess you're supposed to go to the Sherriff's ...

Thread: Moved within NC

Moved within NC

Hey guys, I got a quick question. I moved within North Carolina and misunderstood the rules. I guess you're supposed to go to the Sherriff's office that you got your CCW in 30 days before the move to provide the new address so they can forward the information to your new counties Sherriff office. I interpreted it as you have 30 days after the move to get it completed. So, I'm not about 100 miles away and they're telling me I have to go back to Wilmington to do the paperwork. Would it be illegal for me to carry until I can get the time off to get this accomplished? Thanks all.
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

That would be a question for your local sherriff's office.

I wouldn't carry concealed until I got their clarification.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Doesn't sound right. I would believe 30 days after. Previous advice is sound. Call your new sheriff's office and explain your situation. Worst case I'd bet having to reapply.
    Signature? What signature.

NC GS 14‑415.11(d) states, in part, "A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address."

What's not clear (as is usual with NC law) is what qualifies as notification. I guess that's up to the issuing sheriff.

It would not be illegal for you to carry as long as it's within 30 days after the change of address. Even after that, there's nothing that I can find that indicates your CHP would be invalid nor what the penalty is for not notifying the sheriff.

North Carolina General Statute 14.415.13

∑ Must notify the Sheriff within 30 days after a permanent change of address

You had it right the first time according to this stature.

INFORMATION ON NORTH CAROLINA'S CONCEALED HANDGUN CARRY LAW

The information concerning North Carolina Law is to be considered for reference only. NOT LEGAL ADVICE. We expressly disclaim any liability for the accuracy of this information. Use at your own risk. Concealed Handgun Carry, Inc. recommends that you consult a qualified NC attorney if you have questions or concerns.

On December 1, 1995 the North Carolina General Assembly enacted a concealed handgun law that allows qualifying citizens of North Carolina the opportunity to obtain a permit to carry a concealed handgun. This law requires that the permit be secured from the sheriff of the permittee's county of residence. Once issued, the permit is valid throughout the state for a period of five years, unless it has been revoked.

One of our goals at Concealed Handgun Carry, Inc. is to provide the required training to meet the North Carolina State requirements in order for you to apply for your Concealed Handgun Permit.

The NC State Bureau of Investigation's Division of Criminal Information maintains statistics by county on the number of applications for Concealed Handgun Permits, the number of Concealed Handgun Permits that have been issued, the number of Concealed Handgun Permits that have been denied and the number of Concealed Handgun Permits that have been revoked since December 1, 1995.

The North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit program has been extremely successful. In every state that has instituted a state wide Concealed Handgun Permit, the crime rates have gone down.

GETTING YOUR CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT

North Carolina General Statute 14.415.13

∑ Must have Certificate from your approved Concealed Handgun Carry Course.

∑ Present your original Certificate to the Sheriff of your county of residence and complete permit application under oath.

∑ Pay a non-refundable fee of $80.00.

∑ Provide two sets of fingerprints which you can be charged up to $10.00 by the Sheriff.

∑ Provide a release that authorizes and requires disclosure to the Sheriff of any record concerning the mental health or capacity of the applicant.

∑ Qualified sworn law enforcement officers may be exempt from the firearms safety and training course.

∑ Fees for retired sworn law enforcement officers from the North Carolina Teachers and State Employees’ Retirement System or the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees’ Retirement System who meet certain qualifications only pay $45.00 for the application fee and $40.00 for their renewal fee.

∑ By law, the Sheriff has 90 days to approve or deny the permit.

∑ Must renew the permit every 5 years. File for renewal at least 30 days prior to the expiration and submit a renewal fee of $75.00.

∑ Must notify the Sheriff within 30 days after a permanent change of address.

∑ If the permit is lost or destroyed, a duplicate may be obtained from the Sheriff
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Thanks for all of the useful information folks, I really do appreciate it. Be safe!
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

Here's the text I hand out in class.

Once you know you are changing addresses and have your new address (donít wait until you move):

1. Call the issuing sheriffs office and tell them you need to do a change of address for your CHP.
    2. Go to the issuing sheriffs office and complete the change of address form.
    3. Issuing sheriffs office will give you a completed change of address form to carry with your current CHP to show your new address. You will need to carry the change of address form, the CHP and your NC issued photo ID if you are addressed by a law enforcement officer. This is valid until you are due to renew your CHP.
    4. The sheriffs office at your new address will handle the renewal of your CHP. You will need to conduct the renewal process through their office.
    5. You have 30 days to do this after your address change but donít wait till the last minute or you may have difficulties do to scheduling of the sheriffs office. DONíT RISK LETTING YOUR PERMIT LAPSE! IF YOU DO, YOU START ALL OVER AGAIN INCLUDING TAKING ANOTHER CHP CLASS!

Good luck!

Sponsored Links