Shooting discomfort

This is a discussion on Shooting discomfort within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BTW, I forgot to mention the reason I began to use gloves for shooting in the first place. About 15 years ago my (shooting) hand ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting discomfort

BTW, I forgot to mention the reason I began to use gloves for shooting in the first place. About 15 years ago my (shooting) hand and several fingers were broken when someone accidentally slammed a door on it. Everything healed, but a few bones never quite set properly and my hand has been more sensitive to pressure ever since. Now that I'm in my mid 50's, it seems all the broken bones, pulled muscles and tendons and other annoyances of my younger days are finally catching up with me and I've become much more aware of every old ache and pain I once ignored.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

I don't use a glove but only because I am too cheap to buy some. One comment I remember reading some time ago (forget where) talked about the reduction in accuracy as you shot more, usually due to exactly what has been discussed here (tired, painful etc). This being the case, it would seem that if a glove helps you shoot longer without having to battle the physical consequences, it would help you to become a better shooter. If you are concentrating on the pain (or exhaustion) you can't concentrate on the acto of shooting and you may find some bad habits creeping in.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Bob McDuffee, co-host DogWatch Social Club Podcast
    Thoughtful Conversation, Considered Opinion and a Touch of Insanity
    "He who goes about unarmed in paradise, had better be sure that is where he is!" James Thurber

This post is good timing..I just got an airweight revolver and shot it for the first time over the weekend...with the +p's it was not fun.A buddy of mine uses bicycle riding gloves and I am considering getting some.(they're alot cheaper than shooting gloves).I have bad arthritis in my hands and after about 100 rounds I was pretty beat.
    Also one thing to consider is shorter range sessions,but more often.I guess like verything else it's a balancing act.But I do think I'll be getting some kind of gloves for practice with the +p's.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Evidently most of you shoot more rounds per range session than I do. I try to get out weekly but I seldom fire off more than 100 rounds for any gun so I don't experience any discomfort.

Well, actually that's a lie. I do have one gun that's a stinger, my .380 Guardian pocket gun, but I seldom put more than a few magazines through it. After 20 rounds it feels like you're holding a bee.

I never considered gloves but, as long as you don't rely on them, I don't really see them as a problem.

Glove? I don't need a glove...My Sig already fits like one!

Seriously though, it seems like there are two issues being discussed here. First off, I have to agree with Betty completely. If a gun doesn't sit in your hand comfortably, it has got to go. Personally, I feel that if a gun hurts you, it's going to get you in trouble (especially in a defensive situation). If you can't hold it comfortably, you can't control it. That's why I've never been a fan of compact pistols. Of course, that doesn't mean compacts are bad...just not the thing for me. Now, if a gun has sharp edges or causes wounds, then that is not a good thing.

Second, if your hand/arm get sore after hundreds of rounds, that's fatigue and gloves can help that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't additional training help with fatigue? I've never had a problem with fatigue (but then I'm a young'un). I do use gloves in the winter though (my local range isn't heated very well) and it is hard to shoot if your hands are numb. I've found that my normal winter driving gloves also work very well as shooting gloves. A nice pair of Nike batting gloves. Cheap, durable and they work well with both pistols (to say nothing about a frigid steering wheel and shift knob).

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, but more practice is always better.

Oh, and I average about 400 rounds per range visit. Usually 150 .45ACP and 250-350 in 9mm. I'd do more .45 but it is a might bit expensive. I guess I should start reloading. Anywho, just my humble opinion all around.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB
    This post is good timing..I just got an airweight revolver and shot it for the first time over the weekend...with the +p's it was not fun.A buddy of mine uses bicycle riding gloves and I am considering getting some.(they're alot cheaper than shooting gloves).I have bad arthritis in my hands and after about 100 rounds I was pretty beat.
    Also one thing to consider is shorter range sessions,but more often.I guess like verything else it's a balancing act.But I do think I'll be getting some kind of gloves for practice with the +p's.
    When I practice with my Airweight 642 I usually shoot 50-100 rounds of std. pressure Winchester White Box. My carry ammo is 125gr. Rem. GS +P and the two loads are close enough to POI that it's almost interchangeable. I try to end each range session with 1 cylinder of my carry ammo - keeps me in shape, reduces the stresses on the gun and rotates my carry ammo all at the same time. I really don't like running too much +P through the little monster - aluminium frame, thin forcing cone and high pressure loads isn't something I want to push the envelope on.
    Jack

VIP Member
    I wore gloves in my 20-10 eyesight and shootin’ fer score days when I’d put 10-12 boxes down range in a session. Now I just wear them when I’m casting 45’s out of wheel weights. The 1911 without a lot of fancy checkering suits me fine. There’s a lot more to practice in defensive work than aimed shooting. I find most of my range time is uncover, draw, shoot 3 or 4 quick shots, reholster, and repeat from retention to Fairbairn crouch, point, silhouette, and flash sight positions. The P3-AT gets a mag-full once in a blue moon. The factory “Ribber” grip on the Taurus 415ti is unbelievably easy on the hand. The 19oz gun with 250 gr Federal Cast Cores is unbelievably hard on the wrist bones all the way to the elbow, but gloves can’t help that. A properly high, firm grip can keep torque and chafing to a minimum. I can’t recall any blood-letting from students since I raised the price of band-aids to $25. We just quit when we’ve had enough fun without gloves, not that there’s anything wrong with them. I think Betty said it best.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links